Somalis aren't the only ones

Ancient omotics were native east Africans. When Cushites began migrating to the east, some started to mix with omotics and nilotics living in east Africa. Omotics most likely borrowed their afro asiatic language from Cushites. So omotics aren't the oldest afro asiatic race because they inherited some the Eurasian DNA they carry from Cushites.

Why do they have the oldest branch if they merely acquired their language from younger Cushitic branches?

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Why do they have the oldest branch if they merely acquired their language from younger Cushitic branches?
That I don't know but language changes over time and most afro asiatic languages are heavily influenced nowadays. The Somali language for example contains many Arabic lone words.

That I don't know but language changes over time and most afro asiatic languages are heavily influenced nowadays. The Somali language for example contains many Arabic lone words.

We need more data on the Omotic branch but they seem to be the oldest Afro-Asiatic branch.

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I should've been more specific in regards to the type of Black African group this racial trait is most prevalent which are East Africans, but I have seen West Africans with that forehead trait IRL.

Also I agree it's a very prevalent stereotype for Somalis to the point were they question your "nativeness" if you don't have that racial trait.

IRL it's not common among West Africans, I think it's more of the exception rather than the norm. Or perhaps East African groups tend to have that trait more commonly.

I acknowledge that there is a lot of in-group variability. I noticed that people tend to think you're a foreigner if you marginally deviate from their idea of what people from said group look like. Somalis have various looks some being instantly recognizable others being more outliers on the tail end.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the presentation of a large forehead is a symptom of undiagnosed Celiac disease in some groups. :lol:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

World

VIP
I read that Cushites existed prior to any admixture with either Eurasians and proto-Nilotes and that those particular Cushites have common ancestry with pro-Nilotes.

The proto-Nilotic admixture in Cushites can't be older than 5k years old.
There were proto-Cushitic herders in Kenya and Tanzania over 5000 years ago.

Apollo

VIP
Ancient omotics were native east Africans. When Cushites began migrating to the east, some started to mix with omotics and nilotics living in east Africa. Omotics most likely borrowed their afro asiatic language from Cushites. So omotics aren't the oldest afro asiatic race because they inherited some the Eurasian DNA they carry from Cushites.

The original Omotics and Cushites were the exact same population. Omotic is just West Cushitic.

It's just that Omotics have far less Red Sea ancestry today due to mixing way more with Paleolithic Southwest Ethiopians (non-Afro-Asiatic).

Afro-Asiatics all come from the area between Egypt and Eritrea, including the first Omotic speakers.

No ,the cushites of today yes ,but the OG cushites hadn't eurasian admixture

Wrong.

Some of the Ancient Cushites sampled in Kenya 4,000 years ago cluster near Tigrinya Eritreans and had more Eurasian genetic affinity than even today's Northern Somalis.

Ancient Cushites had more Eurasian affinity than a big portion of today's Cushites.

World

VIP
Wrong.

Some of the Ancient Cushites sampled in Kenya 4,000 years ago cluster near Tigrinya Eritreans and were more Eurasian than even today's Northern Somalis.

Ancient Cushites had more Eurasian affinity than a big portion of today's Cushites.
5ED0D2E7-CF63-4702-8E9E-2B288AE01B51.png

One of the early Kenyan pastoralists(ancestors of South Cushitics) clustered near Habeshas, whereas the other one actually had more Euroasian ancestry than all sampled Habeshas.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
The original Omotics and Cushites were the exact same population. Omotic is just West Cushitic.

It's just that Omotics have far less Red Sea ancestry today due to mixing way more with Paleolithic Southwest Ethiopians (non-Afro-Asiatic).

Afro-Asiatics all come from the area between Egypt and Eritrea, including the first Omotic speakers.

Wrong.

Some of the Ancient Cushites sampled in Kenya 4,000 years ago cluster near Tigrinya Eritreans and had more Eurasian genetic affinity than even today's Northern Somalis.

Well the first ancient African DNA that was sequenced in 2015 came from a skeleton in omo region of Ethiopia and came back 100% African. Maybe that sample couldve come from a Nilotic.

Wrong.

How is that possible ? Cushites existed before 4k years ago I thought & I thought the earliest cushites were from northern nubia/Sudan

Apollo

VIP
How is that possible ? Cushites existed before 4k years ago I thought & I thought the earliest cushites were from northern nubia/Sudan

Eurasians migrated back to Africa as early as 20,000 years ago, especially in the form of mtDNA lineages M1 and U6.

Look at this population, people like them lived all over North Africa between 20,000-8,000 years ago, explaining a big portion of the Eurasian affinity of the earliest Cushites.

Eurasians migrated back to Africa as early as 20,000 years ago, especially in the form of mtDNA lineages M1 and U6.

Look at this population, people like them lived all over North Africa between 20,000-8,000 years ago, explaining a big portion of the Eurasian affinity of the earliest Cushites.

I never knew about the mtDNA Lineage thanks sxb ,
So the African Male + eurasian female = cushites ?
There were multiple non-linear waves of migration at different points. It's not that simple.
I know ,many confuse the ancient eurasian admixture with recent middle eastern & that's why many call us mixed with arabs even when the admixture is older than arabs, but it's far more complicated than that

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I never knew about the mtDNA Lineage thanks sxb ,
So the African Male + eurasian female = cushites ?

I know ,many confuse the ancient eurasian admixture with recent middle eastern & that's why many call us mixed with arabs even when the admixture is older than arabs, but it's far more complicated than that

Most people don't even have a basic understanding of genetics. SSpotters are on the fringe. :lol:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I always admired the height of the nilotics, have huge envy to every1 of them

Somalis aren't bad in the height department ourselves. I've noticed that if they grow up with adequate nutrition (calcium etc) most Somali males break the 175-180cm range or at minimum sit within it. That's above average in like 90% of the world. And many pass 180cm by a lot.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

Cosign everything except this, Basha Apollo. Omotic is not West-Cushitic. That is an outdated and refuted claim as far as I know. Caused by some languages classified among Omotic actually indeed being Cushitic or heavily Cushitic influenced or something to that effect from what I remember. Omotic is the most divergent and first branch to split whereas Cushitic's closest relationship is with Semitic & Berber. It split first along this node then Semitic and Berber split and then eventually Egyptian and Chadic formed and possibly share a node with each other that they don't share with the others.

A good structure of AA, as far as I know, is this:

gaPsCHE.png

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Somalis aren't bad in the height department ourselves. I've noticed that if they grow up with adequate nutrition (calcium etc) most Somali males break the 175-180cm range or at minimum sit within it. That's above average in like 90% of the world. And many pass 180cm by a lot.
I'm just 187 cm :mjcry:

Apollo

VIP
Cosign everything except this, Basha Apollo. Omotic is not West-Cushitic. That is an outdated and refuted claim as far as I know. Caused by some languages classified among Omotic actually indeed being Cushitic or heavily Cushitic influenced or something to that effect from what I remember. Omotic is the most divergent and first branch to split whereas Cushitic's closest relationship is with Semitic & Berber. It split first along this node then Semitic and Berber split and then eventually Egyptian and Chadic formed and possibly share a node with each other that they don't share with the others.

A good structure of AA, as far as I know, is this:

gaPsCHE.png

My opinion is that linguistic divergence of Omotic is mainly due to creolization with Paleo-Ethiopian languages.

But of course, that is just my Suugo Science opinion and not legit, but I really suspect Omotic is just an early Cushitic branch + Paleo-Ethiopic linguistic isolate creole.