Somalia's (Only) Popular Drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Why does he keep mentioning only Somalia in this discussion when he also keeps showing neighboring countries like Ethiopia? Be honest, man, and don't just throw us under the bus.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Also, I dislike how he characterized the normalization of khat. No, nobody in their right mind thinks that khat is halal but it's far too pervasive in society for anybody to actually do anything about it.

Tukraq

VIP
:wtf: Why would it be halal if it gets you addicted and screws with your ability to cognitively function? Khat is like cigarettes and weed - a substance which ultimately harms your health and wellbeing.
Cigarettes are haram kulaha:bell: I doubt that and things that make you addicted aren’t haram wtf only intoxicants like beer and weed otherwise coffee would be haram

Shaolin23

Seeker of knowledge and truth
I was told they used khat back in the day so they could stay up and read the Quran all night, especially during Ramadan.
I've heard thats as well anything in excess is harmful to your body and thus is haram but there is a grey area because for something to be haram outright must be an intoxicant khat and cigarettes are not intoxicants but weed and liquor is but if khat leads you to miss prayers,fornicate,and listen to music it becomes haram straight away but Allah knows best

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Cigarettes are haram kulaha:bell: I doubt that and things that make you addicted aren’t haram wtf only intoxicants like beer and weed otherwise coffee would be haram

There are varying fiqhs on coffee. Did you know that in the past drinking coffee in Makkah or in Cairo was illegal, punishable by jail and lashing? However, now we know that caffeine is generally not considered intoxicating and that it's a mild stimulant. Unlike khat, caffeine withdrawl does not cause a person to engage in destructive (or self-destructive) behavior.

Also @Southerner, I thought it was coffee and not khat that Sufis would use so they can stay all night for qiyaamul layl?

Tukraq

VIP
There are varying fiqhs on coffee. Did you know that in the past drinking coffee in Makkah or in Cairo was illegal, punishable by jail and lashing? However, now we know that caffeine is generally not considered intoxicating and that it's a mild stimulant. Unlike khat, caffeine withdrawl does not cause a person to engage in destructive (or self-destructive) behavior.

Also @Southerner, I thought it was coffee and not khat that Sufis would use so they can stay all night for qiyaamul layl?
Sxb there’s no way either khat caffeine or cigarettes are haram as they aren’t intoxicants lol

Shaolin23

Seeker of knowledge and truth
Sxb there’s no way either khat caffeine or cigarettes are haram as they aren’t intoxicants lol
In extreme excess they can become haram but who would be crazy enough to drink 15 cups of coffee or chew 3 days straight with no sleep that means you wanna f*ck yourself up lol

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers

"Despite generally being considered a mild stimulant with moderate physical addiction, khat is proven to be psychologically addictive as well. ... Khat abuse causes serious liver damage; Regular use may lead to insomnia, anorexia, anxiety and irritability."

:wtf: Why would it be halal if it gets you addicted and screws with your ability to cognitively function? Khat is like cigarettes and weed - a substance which ultimately harms your health and wellbeing.

Too much of anything harms your health and well being.

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers
He just compared khat chewing Somalis to cows lazily chewing cud :drakelaugh:

Another reputation hit to the Somali name. :deadmanny:

Tukraq

VIP
"Despite generally being considered a mild stimulant with moderate physical addiction, khat is proven to be psychologically addictive as well. ... Khat abuse causes serious liver damage; Regular use may lead to insomnia, anorexia, anxiety and irritability."

Too much of anything harms your health and well being.
Addiction isn’t Haram inherently

Qaad only became popular in the 1960s-70s.

For most Somalis, they only started using it within the past 30 years.

The government successfully banned the drug in 1984 but with the onset of the civil war, the drug became widespread again.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Qaad only became popular in the 1960s-70s.

For most Somalis, they only started using it within the past 30 years.

The government successfully banned the drug in 1984 but with the onset of the civil war, the drug became widespread again.

I don't think Somalia can ever even dream of getting rid of the drug without having a stable central government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending