Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
1683005354054.png

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
Can soils indicate resources ?
no i think precious metals and minerals you usually get indication by the rocks in the area or finding veins of the mineral deep underground. Oil probably by seepage and drilling. The soil types really more so for farming potential.

I see a lot of people post about uranium and oil but none of its proven. lets say oil for example there are many oil types and sometimes difficult location and quality makes so its not enough even possible to drill without losing money. it takes a lot of money and research to determine proven oil quantity which is estimate of hydrocarbon resources that can be recovered under current economic and operating conditions. Somalia today has some farming potential thats untapped in south, fishing thats untapped.precious metals, oil, and gas is just speculation until there is alot more studies done. Overall majority of nation very resource poor

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
That area is mostly gypsisol which is poor soil and mostly used for grazing. You can farm it of course but requires a lot of intervention.

View attachment 329783
View attachment 329785

In Galkacyo once you dig 2 meters down, you will hit a layer of hard rock that is almost impossible to break up. Many people have a hard time excavating a hole that is sufficient for a septic tank. I don't know how far this extends around the city.

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
In Galkacyo once you dig 2 meters down, you will hit a layer of hard rock that is almost impossible to break up. Many people have a hard time excavating a hole that is sufficient for a septic tank. I don't know how far this extends around the city.
That makes sense. I think that would be Petrogypsic horizon. if its that deep to get to thats a good sign. Because if it occurs at shallow depth your yields are screwed. Shallow is like less than 20 in deep.

1717041661497.png

randome image i found on internet showcasing

1717041707609.png

Last edited:

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
Here is interactive map of kenya alot more details since they have had more soil studies.

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
@Hilmaam Whats your thoughts on this? I came across this tweet by a farmer that argues that NFD has agricultural potential

What's the soil profile in this region?
You can overcome bad soils if you have have water. There is technique called drip irrigation where water and nutrienes are given to plants using tube system. It ensures you get maximum benefit from water and nutrients directly to plant

Here is interactive map of kenya alot more details since they have had more soil studies.

Thanx i'll look into it. I have also read that NFD has Palaeozoic and Mesozoic land formations, indicators of petroleum reserves.
Palaeozoic and Mesozoic formations in Kenya are found near the coast and in north- eastern Kenya.

So good to hear the land and soil having some potential if approached correctly , despite being currently underutilized.

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
Video doesn’t say location but comments say it’s somewhere outside Garowee. This guy went to study agriculture in Turkey came back home and put knowledge to work

Thegoodshepherd

VIP

Large parts of Garissa, Lower Juba, and Middle Juba and can support sorghum agriculture on rainfall alone. There is no reason why Afmadow district does not plant and harvest sorghum instead of herding cattle. Keep the cattle in one place and feed them. They reach market weight more quickly and would lead to a growing economy.

I think what are needed are demonstration communities. Somalis in Woqoyie Galbeed and Awdal adopted farming by copying the Sufi dariqas that grew sorghum on a large scale. The Sufis would then trade the sorghum to the nomads for milk and meat and lived very well. People began to copy them to get a similar standard of living. Somalis are good at copying.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
Southern half of Garissa is very suitable for the growing of Sorghum.
That is ~20,000 sq km of land that you could potentially mechanize and harvest.
Southern Garissa alone could produce enough sorghum to feed 3 million people.
Sorghum & Maize Suitability Kenya - Copy.png

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
Southern half of Garissa is very suitable for the growing of Sorghum.
That is ~20,000 sq km of land that you could potentially mechanize and harvest.
Southern Garissa alone could produce enough sorghum to feed 3 million people.
View attachment 331787
💯 somehow have to stop all the import and food aid that kills motivation of the farmers and secure south same time. Imports kill every sector in Somalia so hard to compete. There is good land and should be food dependent at least

Trending