Somalia Soil Map

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
I was just about to ask you about it, kkkk :ftw9nwa:

From what I've seen of my family's farm, the soil look very similar to those I've seen here in Europe. But then again, there's a diverse of soil variety even within that region (Fafan zone) alone.

The only flip-side is because of the instability, very little investments had been made to increase the efficiency. As far as my family, we've just let our relatives use the land and instead focused on investments in other sectors. Inshallah, once permanent peace is achieved, we'll put more energy into our blessed land.

Mashallah you seem to have a vast knowledge in this regards sxb. I need you to create a consulting firm so you can lend us a help with your expertise on how we can maximize our farm land. :rejoice:
Lol just scratching the surface bro. The farmSomalia YouTube channel guy who owns channel is the expert think he does project back home to he also seems to answer questions as well.

You guys are sitting on gold mine prime property, farmland surrounded on all sides by huge cities with big demand

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
The brown colored area of Cambisols east of Ceerigaabo is the Sool Plateau of Sanaag.
The pink area in the middle of that brown blob is solonchak (saline soil) which is the bare land that is the Xadeed.

From what I can tell the area in red is the cambisol area that has good soil, while the blue area is the xadeed that is fairly not conducive to agriculture.
https://www.faoswalim.org/resources/Land/Environmental_Study_Degradation_Sool_Plateau_and_Gebi.pdf

@Tropical Breeze would know more about this area.

View attachment 262841

Sanaag has plenty of groundwater, probably the most of any gobol north of Hiiraan, so traditional irrigation is actually plausible. Good to hear that it has good soil.
Thanks for sharing files, study matches up with soil atlas on Europe.eu page. Sanaag can be our breadbasket up north a lot of land mass of good soil. Hopefully gets enough roads and investments

Lol just scratching the surface bro. The farmSomalia YouTube channel guy who owns channel is the expert think he does project back home to he also seems to answer questions as well.

You guys are sitting on gold mine prime property, farmland surrounded on all sides by huge cities with big demand

Yes, indeed. We also have an abundance of water sources. The only problem is the gaajo aid-begging Abiy who want us to export our harvested crops instead of proving to it to our fellow people. In what world do you prioritize export while some of your people are going through hard-hit drought??!?!:kendrickcry:
Though, I have to brag a bit about our land. Waa macaan, kkk. Thanks to my forefather for settling on rich soil that will yield much wanted results for generations to come. :drakekidding::denzelnigga:

Last edited:

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Yes, indeed. We also have an abundance of water sources. The only problem is the gaajo aid-begging Abiy who want us to export our harvested crops instead of proving to it to our fellow people. In what world do you prioritize export while some of your people are going through hard-hit drought??!?!:kendrickcry:
Though, I have to brag a bit about our land, kkk. Waa macaan. Thanks to my forefather for settling on rich soil that will yield much wanted results for generations to come. :drakekidding::denzelnigga:

Wow! Next level best somali owned farmland I’ve seen. Shows what’s possible if you know what your doing and have proper equipment. no reason other vertisol and cambsisol soil areas can’t look like this with proper investment

Wow! Next level best somali owned farmland I’ve seen. Shows what’s possible if you know what your doing and have proper equipment. no reason other vertisol and cambsisol soil areas can’t look like this with proper investment

100%. I'd even go so far and saying that we can be much more efficient and harvest a greater share of crops and plants than the current output. We only started seeing somewhat (gov't and foreign funded) assistance in recent times, though only in smaller scale. Most of it is left to the local farmers to fend for themselves, and with scarce resources and a continuous instability, most land can't be fully utilized. iA, we are hoping for more investments soon.

I do think that the same applied to Somalia. So much fertile land that currently isn't fully being used. Including 'lower quality' soil. Hopefully, more investments are put into these areas. Though, the most important aspect is gov't involvement, and aid the local farmers in achieving the targeted output. That's how untouched land started being used for farming in Ethiopia, outside of DDS and the total crops increased massively.

Ximan iyo Xadeed

Sanaag
VIP
The brown colored area of Cambisols east of Ceerigaabo is the Sool Plateau of Sanaag.
The pink area in the middle of that brown blob is solonchak (saline soil) which is the bare land that is the Xadeed.

From what I can tell the area in red is the cambisol area that has good soil, while the blue area is the xadeed that is fairly not conducive to agriculture.
https://www.faoswalim.org/resources/Land/Environmental_Study_Degradation_Sool_Plateau_and_Gebi.pdf

@Tropical Breeze would know more about this area.

View attachment 262841

Sanaag has plenty of groundwater, probably the most of any gobol north of Hiiraan, so traditional irrigation is actually plausible. Good to hear that it has good soil.
Xadeed is an excellent grazing zone, all it takes is a good rain and it becomes like this. The soil would be great if used for farming

This is Shimbiraale this gu season
1679877609641.jpg

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Stating with northern section map. The majority of the soil is gypsisum (light yellow) poor soil. Purple is solonchaks which is another poor soil. Yellow Calcisol poor soil. Grey is letpsol which another poor soil. Finally you have dark orange which is cambisol this is a excellent soil and as good as it gets. You have thin strip of it west of daborow and running south

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Stating with northern section map. The majority of the soil is gypsisum (light yellow) poor soil. Purple is solonchaks which is another poor soil. Yellow Calcisol poor soil. Grey is letpsol which another poor soil. Finally you have dark orange which is cambisol this is a excellent soil and as good as it gets. You have thin strip of it west of daborow and running south
Southern map it’s mostly same thing a lot of gypsisum. Tiny bit of leptosol. Then you have some arenosols tan color this falls into marginal soil category 1 above poor soils. You also have more cambisol South this is the excellen soil category with most farming potential. You have some North of xarardheere and north of ceel dheere.

there is also some south of gal tardo but pretty sure it’s hiraan territory.

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Here is bakool area. The good soil is toward south as you get closer to Baidoa. I put the legend above that shows colors. The acronoyms also tell you soil for example CM on map equals cambisol.

View attachment 266854
Around wajid east west and north you have light yellow which is is gypsisol poor soil. Silver is leptosol poor soil. Yellow calcisol poor soil. Light purple solonchaks poor soil.

the southern part of bakool has good soil. Orange is cambisol excellent soil, pink is luvisol excellen soil. And you have little bit of dark purple which is vertisol good soil category
1681577877790.jpeg

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
What for soil is the land behind Baraawe and Marka. Qoryooley, Sablaale etc. It has two colours Dark purple/Burgundy and light purple/blue.
The dark purple is vertisol which is a good soil. The tan right next to coast is arenosols Which is marginal borderline poor soil. Gleysol also falls into this category it’s darkish blue with Gl. Finally in that area you have the light pink with Sn which is solonetz a poor soil
1681579307706.jpeg

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP

Opportunity for dates production in our semi arid dry climate, not called wonder tree of the dessert for nothing

Last edited:

Trending