Somali woman named one of the Top 10 'Natural Hair' gurus by Essence mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shamis

2 a is almost there - had iyo goor haddii aad saliid ku salaaxdid you will get there. Mine is not featured on the chart but its this:
7fbce86c15b8ef57d2060d29b7484b31.jpg

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
2 a is almost there - had iyo goor haddii aad saliid ku salaaxdid you will get there. Mine is not featured on the chart but its this:
7fbce86c15b8ef57d2060d29b7484b31.jpg

It depends on what type of product I use. Some products weigh my hair now and make the waves disappear, while others bring out my slight curls. If that's your hair type, you're blessed walaahi. I've always wanted that kind of 'fro.

The hair looks like a 3c to me.

S

Shamis

Imagine her hair without the fried look - she over processed it with the bleach, mine is shiny and bouncy but not as defined as the Somali girl in Essence. Its that blonde girl's shape, even the curl shape is almost identical.

Have you tried using serums? My sister has your hair type, she is oil only.

I

IntensiveCareUnit

I think I'm somewhere between 2b and 2c and i hate it because it's so flat with zero volume. @Duchess what products do you use to get big curls :mjcry:

Sultana

On Hiatus
Imagine her hair without the fried look - she over processed it with the bleach, mine is shiny and bouncy but not as defined as the Somali girl in Essence. Its that blonde girl's shape, even the curl shape is almost identical.

Zeinab uses stretching creams to make her curl pattern larger. The more you know.

Somali women shouldn't even be in the "natural hair" category, it's not fair to the other Africans( excluding horners/some east Africans). We already get hated on for our hair.

Duchess

VIP

I'm an oil only too (coconut oil or evoo) but I'll try serums. Any brands that you'd recommend?

@IntensiveCareUnit it all comes down to the comb. My hair is easy to comb so I would use any ol comb, but I've found that a wide-tooth comb takes me from a 2a to 2c at times ( as long as I use products that don't weigh my hair down).

I

IntensiveCareUnit

I'm an oil only too (coconut oil or evoo) but I'll try serums. Any brands that you'd recommend?

@IntensiveCareUnit it all comes down to the comb. My hair is easy to comb so I would use any ol comb, but I've found that a wide-tooth comb takes me from a 2a to 2c at times ( as long as I use products that don't weigh my hair down).
i see. if I brush out my curls, I lose them :kanyehmm: it becames this weird, wavy flat dead ting. i hate hair. the only solution I've found for creating volume is doing big, high buns, but it gets uncomfortable.

Duchess

VIP
i see. if I brush out my curls, I lose them :kanyehmm: it becames this weird, wavy flat dead ting. i hate hair. the only solution I've found for creating volume is doing big, high buns, but it gets uncomfortable.

The comb is one part of it, build up is another. Do you use a clarifying shampoo? And what type of products/oil do you use on your hair?

S

Shamis

Kerastase is good as is Moroccan oil treatment. I'd keep using the oils though, they're the best thing long term.

I

IntensiveCareUnit

The comb is one part of it, build up is another. Do you use a clarifying shampoo? And what type of products/oil do you use on your hair?
i use sulfate free shampoo. and i use from coconut oil to valtika to this wave nuveaou moisturizing hair lotion ting. for brush i use a detangle brush because it's less painful for me and gets the job done. bad idea?

Duchess

VIP
i use sulfate free shampoo. and i use from coconut oil to valtika to this wave nuveaou moisturizing hair lotion ting. for brush i use a detangle brush because it's less painful for me and gets the job done. bad idea?

You know your hair better than anyone else, but why don't you have a consistent oil / hair treatment that you use? Sulfate free shampoo is good but sometimes you need to use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of build up. You can diy using apple cider vinger and/or baking soda.

The detangler brush is probably why you lose some of your curls. I'd suggest you try a wide tooth comb for a bit.

Sultana

On Hiatus
I agree with Duchess, I use a lower sulfate shampoo (S/O to TRESemmé Naturals) instead of a sulfate-free shampoo because I don't feel like my hair is properly cleaned with a sulfate free shampoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts