Somali script needs to be either updated (Latin script) or completely changed (indigenous)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think all Somali history is for all Somali people to claim (because I'm not a tribalist bum with no self esteem). But if you can't understand the difference between these two examples of we're getting technical than there is no point in discussing any of it any further.

Well then we might as well claim the medival islamic kingdoms and sultanates purely because they were Muslim and we are Muslim too.

Well then we might as well claim the medival islamic kingdoms and sultantes purely because they were Muslim and we are Muslim too.

do you even think about what you say? Somaliland and somalia are not ancient they are fairly new creations, we are talking about shared ancient Somali history, these are facts independent of mine or your political stance.

You may have an argument with more recent sultanates that usually involved specific clans. Although even this I believe is shared somali history but you can make that argument. How can you compare the two? Just think before you continue arguing I'm getting tired.

"We find the Roman alphabet more convenient. It is also international. Most of intellectuals and literate citizens are used to it, and our imported equipment are described in Roman alphabet. Technically, we find its use more viable then any other script. For instance, we have an ancient Somali script which, if we were to get emotional, we would have adopted, but we did not, because we believe in reality. As a free people, we met without the so-called foreign experts, asked ourselves which script would best serve our modern needs, and decided on Roman alphabet. As you know, the use of this new alphabet is now a national fact." Siad Barre

https://books.google.iq/books?id=YQ...en&sa=X&ei=s7q4Udv2C-mF0QHJrYHoCA&redir_esc=y

The Writing of the Somali Language: A Great Landmark in Our Revolutionary History
By Wasaaradda Warfaafinta iyo Hanuuninta Dadweynaha 1974

pages 1-3:

"An important point which is often lost sight of is that the ancient Somalis had evolved their own script systems which existed for a considerable period in their history. Convincing historical evidence in this respect is the numerous inscriptions and rockpaintings on cave-walls, on granite rocks, old coins etc., that are found to this day in various parts of the country. Some important sites where ancient inscriptions on cave-walls exist are reported as follows:

1. Godka Xararka in Las Anod District.
2. Qubiyaaley in Las Anod District.
3. Hilayo in Las Khoray District.
4. Karin Heeggane in Las Khoray District.
5. Dhalanle in Las Khoray District.

The most noteworthy of these inscriptions are undoub- edly those found on the mysterious «Taalo Tiiriyaad». These are huge stone mounds which are dotted about in northeastern Somalia and are a veritable archaeological riddle, since it is hard to tell when and for what purpose they were constructed. Noteworthy Taalo sites are in places such as:

1. Baar Madhere in Beledweyne District.
2. Xabaalo Ambiyad in Alula District.
3. Harti Yimid in Las Anod District.

Yet, these strange edifices must have had a definite purpose. Local opinion holds that they used to serve as altars or as sorts of religious monuments in the era when nature-worship was practised in the Land; still others consider that the Taalos mark ancient graveyards in which were buried important personages — chieftains, rulers, etc. together with their personal effects. In any case, these mute sentinels could, no doubt, tell much about the country's cultural and historical past and give us a glimpse into the life-story of by-gone ages. Although it is difficult to determine what caused the ancient Somalian system of writing to disappear altogether and how long it flourished, etc., there is no doubt that the encroachment of foreign cultures had greatly contributed to its final decline and disappearance. An interesting point, however, is that this script system was apparently based on vowel sound, not a Word-Picture writing as in ancient Egypt. As generations succeeded one another and people acquired better technical and scientific knowledge there were constant reforms and improvements called forth by the new social conditions of the age. This process might have been repeated over and over again in subsequent periods in the history of the land, until the very old forms of Somalian script finally died out and were completely forgotten by later generations."

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitst...eat landmark in our revolutionary history.pdf

Have not seen any images.@Prince Abubu

@horumar we could use them.

Last edited:
My language Tigre is the closest language to Ge'ez. Amarigna is a filthy language mixed with Agaw/Cushitic. This is why Tigre people look down on Amhara people, becuz they're all ugly, short, nappy haired and dark. They only dominate Ethiopia becuz of sheer numbers.

My language Tigre is the closest language to Ge'ez. Amarigna is a filthy language mixed with Agaw/Cushitic. This is why Tigre people look down on Amhara people, becuz they're all ugly, short, nappy haired and dark. They only dominate Ethiopia becuz of sheer numbers.

Of course you're Tigre
giphy.gif

It's not like we could have invented computers of our own waryaada, stop playing. The latin script saved us.
A lot of yall take it for granted how easy learning science, math and education in general it is with the latin script.

It's not like we could have invented computers of our own waryaada, stop playing. The latin script saved us.
A lot of yall take it for granted how easy learning science, math and education in general it is with the latin script.

You don't need to invent a computer to have your own script. All you need is some software changes, which can easily be done for you on the cheap by China. If injirle xabashi can afford to have their own script, why not us? It's not like the Latin script has led us to economic success.

What did I tell you? :susp:

I'm yawning cos I don't believe him/her/it... asked him/her/it to write Tigre once and I can ask my friend if it's correct and he/she/it didn't reply. No Tigre boasts about the language being close to Ge'ez, that's just something he probably saw me say on this forum and just regurgitated it now.

You don't need to invent a computer to have your own script. All you need is some software changes, which can easily be done for you on the cheap by China. If injirle xabashi can afford to have their own script, why not us? It's not like the Latin script has led us to economic success.
How about for those of us here in the west? Type in English?
I think the latin script was a good idea, we couldn't have done any better to tbh. Maybe some day we can revert back, but not right now.

I'm yawning cos I don't believe him/her/it... asked him/her/it to write Tigre once and I can ask my friend if it's correct and he/she/it didn't reply. No Tigre boasts about the language being close to Ge'ez, that's just something he probably saw me say on this forum and just regurgitated it now.

He's not even trying anymore with his trolling. What a sad creature. I wonder what he will be tomorrow? Wolayta?:kodaksmiley:

How about for those of us here in the west? Type in English?
I think the latin script was a good idea, we couldn't have done any better to tbh. Maybe some day we can revert back, but not right now.

You guys are making learning a new alphabet to be like learning calculus or something. You can learn it in one weekend. Heck if you really tried, you can learn an entire new alphabet in one day. Somalis don't have a lot of technology and complex infrastructure that would be needed to be overhauled when adopting a new indigenous script. It's just a matter of will.

You guys are making learning a new alphabet to be like learning calculus or something. You can learn it in one weekend. Heck if you really tried, you can learn an entire new alphabet in one day. Somalis don't have a lot of technology and complex infrastructure that would be needed to be overhauled when adopting a new indigenous script. It's just a matter of will.

Based on experience, learning alphabets (apart from crazy ones like Mandarin) is easy like you say, but when you start reading sentences and full words, the stuttering is annoying:icon lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.