Somali royal clothing?

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
why do some of you niggas get so angsty about certain historical matters? If something someone said is false just provide evidence to counter the matter don't go run insults on people
They are qabil scientists. Its what they do.
:manny:

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
They are qabil scientists. Its what they do.
:manny:
Am not fkd scientists sxb KKK i just don't like ajnabis
why do some of you niggas get so angsty about certain historical matters? If something someone said is false just provide evidence to counter the matter don't go run insults on people
Who did i insult sxb? I didn't say anything bad I just debunked his comment

DA58B0CB-BB71-4AFA-9C1E-4D8FB1D62B12.png

an Ogaden sultan.
โ€”
BDAF54E9-173F-4CF8-A282-7E24F7D314A3.jpeg

11ECD72C-51B4-4B20-98D8-9507823F81BF.jpeg

BDAF54E9-173F-4CF8-A282-7E24F7D314A3.jpeg

Banadiri Shaikhs in Xamar.

Strawberry

๐’š๐’๐’–๐’„,Soomaalinimada,๐’–๐’๐’˜๐’’๐’†๐’˜
The same dress and sword are used in Xamar Weyna for weddings and Eid but is rare now I have the same Turban I got from a tailor in Xamar last time I went
Whatโ€™s the name of the garment what do they call it ?

...j

What?
I talked to the most knowledgeable person i kno about the Somalian culture about these "royal" clothes.

He said it isnโ€™t royal, those who wear it are the Somali Hadramis, who live in coastal cities such as Zeila, Berbera, Mogadishu and Ras Hafun in the past...It is coming and mixed from other countries.

He said Basically, there is no such thing as a "special Somali dress," as everyone wore what they wanted at the time, such as macawees, western suits, Arabs bishts and shemaghs, or anything else.

He said: Commoners and Bedouins wear these fabrics, upper and lower. the sheikhs and scholars wear something like the ihram with a white turban around the head; Like the Tablighis do (you will know them if you come to the country).

After reviewing many pictures like this;
View attachment 268635View attachment 268636View attachment 268637View attachment 268638View attachment 268639
View attachment 268634

Actually, There is nothing better than what he said in describing the dress culture of the Somalis, which is the reason for the lack of "fixed clothing". When he finished speaking, I found myself agreeing with him.

But of course, we are in the 21st century. If you wear anything random like the ancients, then for some reason other people will look down on you as uneducated. And that's nonsense, damn it, I'll wear what I want. Except those ugly and tight western suits.

I'll give you a good tip for creating a local clothing culture: find a collection of old photos with cool clothes (I'll help if I can), then show them to a group of fashion designers, and make a collection of Somali outfits out of them; May it be diverse!

I will summarize my words in three points
1- The Somali clothing culture revolves around openness and wearing whatever one wears.

2- the Luxurious black dress was an urban wear for residents of coastal cities (because of relations with foreigners). It is largely imported like others, and it was worn in Sudan, and it resembles many of the clothes of the Indians and Hadramis of Indonesia.

3- We need a fashion designer to make a modern set of vintage style like a bowl!

Thatโ€™s all, thank you for reading.
What's the backstory behind the last image?

Salam everyone, thank you for this thread! I'm a concept artist hoping to curate and illustrate somali history and use it within my art. If you have any sources on Somali fashion that would be so helpful Insha'Allah.

One of the concepts I made with the information in this chat is for a story I'm working on. I'll share a draft of one of the characters

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-22 005337.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-22 005337.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 168
I talked to the most knowledgeable person i kno about the Somalian culture about these "royal" clothes.

He said it isnโ€™t royal, those who wear it are the Somali Hadramis, who live in coastal cities such as Zeila, Berbera, Mogadishu and Ras Hafun in the past...It is coming and mixed from other countries.

He said Basically, there is no such thing as a "special Somali dress," as everyone wore what they wanted at the time, such as macawees, western suits, Arabs bishts and shemaghs, or anything else.

He said: Commoners and Bedouins wear these fabrics, upper and lower. the sheikhs and scholars wear something like the ihram with a white turban around the head; Like the Tablighis do (you will know them if you come to the country).

After reviewing many pictures like this;
View attachment 268635View attachment 268636View attachment 268637View attachment 268638View attachment 268639
View attachment 268634

Actually, There is nothing better than what he said in describing the dress culture of the Somalis, which is the reason for the lack of "fixed clothing". When he finished speaking, I found myself agreeing with him.

But of course, we are in the 21st century. If you wear anything random like the ancients, then for some reason other people will look down on you as uneducated. And that's nonsense, damn it, I'll wear what I want. Except those ugly and tight western suits.

I'll give you a good tip for creating a local clothing culture: find a collection of old photos with cool clothes (I'll help if I can), then show them to a group of fashion designers, and make a collection of Somali outfits out of them; May it be diverse!

I will summarize my words in three points
1- The Somali clothing culture revolves around openness and wearing whatever one wears.

2- the Luxurious black dress was an urban wear for residents of coastal cities (because of relations with foreigners). It is largely imported like others, and it was worn in Sudan, and it resembles many of the clothes of the Indians and Hadramis of Indonesia.

3- We need a fashion designer to make a modern set of vintage style like a bowl!

Thatโ€™s all, thank you for reading.
We should abandon that hat our elders wear and bring back the turban

The Somali exclusive/royal clothing for men is characterized by its flowing, robe-like shape and intricate embroidery. These garments are often made from fine fabrics such as silk or cotton and come in a range of colors, from bold and vibrant to subtle and muted. They are typically accessorized with a turban or headscarf, and sometimes a sash or belt with a seef(sword) on the side making it suitable for formal occasions
View attachment 266144

Sadly, these gorgeous cloths are rarely seen in the 21st century, with the latest cases of them being worn dating back to the 90s. It's a shame because the younger Somali generation particularly the diaspora is in awe of it and yearns for its return.
Unfortunately, there are some who mistakenly attribute this clothing to foreign cultures like the Arab(thawb), Turkish(Kaftan), Levantine(Jubba), Arabian(bisht) etc. But after a lot of research, it's clear that this is an authentic and exclusive expression of Somali identity and culture. Weirdly enough non of the doubters took into consideration the amazing royal clothing produced and worn natively in the Horn of Africa, particularly Ethiopia's royal clothing? Moreover, although the Somali people have worn many of the aforementioned garments for centuries, this exact unique style seems to be solely observed within the Somali people.

When I say exact unique style, I mean exact.

There is similar fashion observed from close neighbours, it being a case of the afar sultan wearing a firm embroidered cloth and a class of Sudani sheikhs. It is worth to mention that the Sudani sheikhs wore multiple different clothes including khamiis, laboโ€™go, duubcad(turban?), bisht, and the seemingly Somali cloth loosely embroidered with few embellishments. View attachment 266145View attachment 266146

For those who want to revive this particular cloth, push it as a unique formal Somali clothing, a representation of our identity and culture. But for those who believe it's foreign and not for the Somali people to claim as theirs, let it be and focus on reviving modern or formal wear of Somali clothing. I must add, the laboโ€™go is not suitable formal wear for an elder, who would instead opt for the normal shaati macawis koofi combo or khamiis and koofi.

@Admin upon seeing multiple relating posts discussing this and most of them leading to a dead end, I want for this thread to be a final one. I request that itโ€™s pinned or something similar so anyone interested in discussing this topic comes back to this thread instead of making a separate one each time.
U know arabs thobes were simple cotton sheets? And in industrial age just about a century ago for them they started to enhance their thobes its production plus materials...we can do the same for labo'go...u know damn well anything that resembles thobe isnt even 1% a somali origin..

JUST LOOK HOW GOOD THIS LOOKS!! we have over 100 forms of wrapped style men fashion (cultural)...its sad ur inferiority complex makes u blind to this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230515_024530_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230515_024530_Gallery.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20230417_051258.jpg
    20230417_051258.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230417_051238.jpg
    20230417_051238.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230415_064136.jpg
    20230415_064136.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 1679707138402.png
    1679707138402.png
    422.2 KB · Views: 103
  • somali2 (1).jpg
    somali2 (1).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 95
U know arabs thobes were simple cotton sheets? And in industrial age just about a century ago for them they started to enhance their thobes its production plus materials...we can do the same for labo'go...u know damn well anything that resembles thobe isnt even 1% a somali origin..

JUST LOOK HOW GOOD THIS LOOKS!! we have over 100 forms of wrapped style men fashion (cultural)...its sad ur inferiority complex makes u blind to this
For those who want to revive this particular cloth, push it as a unique formal Somali clothing, a representation of our identity and culture. But for those who believe it's foreign and not for the Somali people to claim as theirs, let it be and focus on reviving modern or formal wear of Somali clothing. I must add, the laboโ€™go is not suitable formal wear for an elder, who would instead opt for the normal shaati macawis koofi combo or khamiis and koofi.

Salam everyone, thank you for this thread! I'm a concept artist hoping to curate and illustrate somali history and use it within my art. If you have any sources on Somali fashion that would be so helpful Insha'Allah.

One of the concepts I made with the information in this chat is for a story I'm working on. I'll share a draft of one of the characters
Your work looks amazing!
Do you have any more?

Trending

Latest posts