CULTURE Somali royal clothing?

Even Eritrean wear similar, has to be East African thing
I included Sudani and Afar sultans/Sheikhs wearing similar styles in the original post. Seems to me that east Africa all the way from Sudan down to the Swahili coast wore similar cloths, but unique styles of their own. This would be the Somali style
97802C7F-208F-4850-A0C1-8F1A08F9896C.jpeg
86F49E7D-1C80-4719-AD0E-FF058E558EED.jpeg

And these Afar and Swahili styles
B75C41A1-FF07-4101-82A4-BA312526F63C.jpeg
D939F9BD-6B6C-4C86-8825-86E01C4E5ED3.jpeg

We need someone's expertise in tailoring this stuff. It seems to me that it's made out of cotton.
I think u would be correct on that. A tailor would most likely find it rather simple to make a robe type of design, but the unique specific embroidery might be a challenge. Considering everything is custom made, the price tag would be up in the 500 - 1000$ range or more.

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
Somalis have been wearing this attire since the 9th century. This was recorded by the Chinese during that period.
IMG_1169.jpeg

Page 8 of 13

al-Mu'tamid المعتمد

عِشْ مَا شِئْتَ فَإِنَّكَ مَيِّتٌ
I think u would be correct on that. A tailor would most likely find it rather simple to make a robe type of design, but the unique specific embroidery might be a challenge. Considering everything is custom made, the price tag would be up in the 500 - 1000$ range or more.
I mean you got machines who could make the embroidery. But yeah it would be expensive.

Nah, 500-1000$ are too expensive, guess i can do it with 200-300$.

Nah, 500-1000$ are too expensive, guess i can do it with 200-300$.
A custom robe design(perfectly fit for u) would cost u 150-200$ range, everything from a fitting collar to firm sleeve cuffs. Then there is the embroidery 🪡. Find a talented designer who can make u custom embroidery based on a picture alone. The golden embroidery is quite large, considering a typical custom embroidered polo shirt costs 15-30$. This embroidery would be pricey. 500$ should be possible to make the whole thing even 400$ if u got some of the skills urself.

A custom robe design(perfectly fit for u) would cost u 150-200$ range, everything from a fitting collar to firm sleeve cuffs. Then there is the embroidery 🪡. Find a talented designer who can make u custom embroidery based on a picture alone. The golden embroidery is quite large, considering a typical custom embroidered polo shirt costs 15-30$. This embroidery would be pricey. 500$ should be possible to make the whole thing even 400$ if u got some of the skills urself.
Trust me, i can do it with 200$ in the KSA. The people there are used to this kinds of clothes, so it’s more cheaper.

Internet Nomad

VIP
This guy is the biggest self hater. Omanis n Indians don't wear this, Somalis do. If you won't contribute then gtfo. I don't know why you have to be such a spoiler.
Some people feed of negativity. Without any proof he justs knocks things down. Dw just move on.

Internet Nomad

VIP
IMG_1206.jpeg

A picture of Somali Sultan Olol Dinle in Italy, during Hitler’s 1938 visit to Rome. In 1920s, Dinle entered into an alliance w/ Fascist Italy for military protection from Ethiopia.
less

IMG_1208.jpeg

In 1938, Sultan Olol Dinle & his Somali delegation of the Ajuuran Clan visited a Nazi/Fascist rally in Rome.

Olol Dinle was dubbed the "Sultan of Sciavelli (Shabelle)" for his alliance with Italy, in the early 1930s, as he fought against Ethiopia for control of Kelafo.

Last edited:
The Somali exclusive/royal clothing for men is characterized by its flowing, robe-like shape and intricate embroidery. These garments are often made from fine fabrics such as silk or cotton and come in a range of colors, from bold and vibrant to subtle and muted. They are typically accessorized with a turban or headscarf, and sometimes a sash or belt with a seef(sword) on the side making it suitable for formal occasions
View attachment 266144

Sadly, these gorgeous cloths are rarely seen in the 21st century, with the latest cases of them being worn dating back to the 90s. It's a shame because the younger Somali generation particularly the diaspora is in awe of it and yearns for its return.
Unfortunately, there are some who mistakenly attribute this clothing to foreign cultures like the Arab(thawb), Turkish(Kaftan), Levantine(Jubba), Arabian(bisht) etc. But after a lot of research, it's clear that this is an authentic and exclusive expression of Somali identity and culture. Weirdly enough non of the doubters took into consideration the amazing royal clothing produced and worn natively in the Horn of Africa, particularly Ethiopia's royal clothing? Moreover, although the Somali people have worn many of the aforementioned garments for centuries, this exact unique style seems to be solely observed within the Somali people.

When I say exact unique style, I mean exact.

There is similar fashion observed from close neighbours, it being a case of the afar sultan wearing a firm embroidered cloth and a class of Sudani sheikhs. It is worth to mention that the Sudani sheikhs wore multiple different clothes including khamiis, labo’go, duubcad(turban?), bisht, and the seemingly Somali cloth loosely embroidered with few embellishments. View attachment 266145View attachment 266146

For those who want to revive this particular cloth, push it as a unique formal Somali clothing, a representation of our identity and culture. But for those who believe it's foreign and not for the Somali people to claim as theirs, let it be and focus on reviving modern or formal wear of Somali clothing. I must add, the labo’go is not suitable formal wear for an elder, who would instead opt for the normal shaati macawis koofi combo or khamiis and koofi.

@Admin upon seeing multiple relating posts discussing this and most of them leading to a dead end, I want for this thread to be a final one. I request that it’s pinned or something similar so anyone interested in discussing this topic comes back to this thread instead of making a separate one each time.
How about we innovate our more common men wear? This fashion ur showing isn't even a 100 years old so most likely it's from a recent outside influence

Attachments

• 20230417_051258.jpg
    20230417_051258.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20230211_015328.jpg
    20230211_015328.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 95ece439f6df54aff48f996b7e274962.jpg
    95ece439f6df54aff48f996b7e274962.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 117
How about we innovate our more common men wear?
read the last bit of my original post.
This fashion ur showing isn't even a 100 years old so most likely it's from a recent outside influence
This would be untrue. “Somali royal clothing” has been around for centuries, and it does got the historical evidence to prove it. From Ibn Battuta's observations in the 14th century to photographic evidence in the 19th and 20th century. This garment has really stood the test of time. Note that such cloths were not for the commoners thus making it less known amongst people.

read the last bit of my original post.

This would be untrue. “Somali royal clothing” has been around for centuries, and it does got the historical evidence to prove it. From Ibn Battuta's observations in the 14th century to photographic evidence in the 19th and 20th century. This garment has really stood the test of time. Note that such cloths were not for the commoners thus making it less known amongst people.
U just proved my point. Ibn Battuta was visiting the coastal cites were influence from outside trade was taking place rapidly. Anything authentic and Somali is found within the miyi community and not within magaal community. Simple logic

Trending