Somali population displays genetic traits of significance to health and disease.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Genome-wide analyses disclose the distinctive HLA architecture and the pharmacogenetic landscape of the Somali population

Published: 27 March 2020

Abstract

African populations are underrepresented in medical genomics studies. For the Somali population, there is virtually no information on genomic markers with significance to precision medicine. Here, we analyzed nearly 900,000 genomic markers in samples collected from 95 unrelated individuals in the North Eastern Somalia.

ADMIXTURE program for estimation of individual ancestries revealed a homogenous Somali population. Principal component analysis with PLINK software showed approximately 60% East African and 40% West Eurasian genes in the Somali population, with a close relation to the Cushitic and Semitic speaking Ethiopian populations.

We report the unique features of human leukocyte antigens (HLA) in the Somali population, which seem to differentiate from all other neighboring regions compared. Current study identified high prevalence of the diabetes type 1 (T1D) predisposing HLA DR-DQ haplotypes in Somalia.

This finding may explain the increased T1D risk observed among Somali children. In addition, ethnic Somalis were found to host the highest frequencies observed thus far for several pharmacogenetic variants, including UGT1A4*2.

In conclusion, we report that the Somali population displays genetic traits of significance to health and disease. The Somali dataset is publicly available and will add more information to the few genomic datasets available for African populations.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
This is the first significant medical genome study on Somalis. Given that many Somalis are dying from Coronavirus I found the conclusion in the abstract interesting. I haven't read the full report yet.

this paper is really interesting.thanks for posting this. its interesting to see variance in HLA alleles between somalis and geographically close populations.didn't know about the warfarin resistance in ethiopians either.

So we're more genetically pre-disposed to Type 1 diabetes?
1585877201999.png

I believe it though. It seems like every habo/adeer has diabetes high blood pressure or both!

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Does it also say more genetically predisposed to bidaar and big forehead? Wallahi we need to import more foreign people and add more admixture to the Somali genepool.

CaliTedesse

VIP
Not all Somalis are same. In my health & genetic trait in 23andme it says I am not likely to have any bidaar.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Mashallah bro have a lot of babies and encourage those with bidaar genes to have less babies kkkkkkkkk

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Genetic anomalies from both sides will get less strong and dissapear when new offspring gets created,

I don't have this predisposition for Type 1 diabetes. :rejoice:So an Abdi it is. Also genetics isn't always destiny.

But feel free to mate out if you think it will help you.

Bohol

VIP
Mashallah bro have a lot of babies and encourage those with bidaar genes to have less babies kkkkkkkkk

Will do. Even hair thinning is uncommon before the age of 40 kkk. If I impregnate 5% of the women in Somalia, bidaar, hair loss and thinning will be a thing of the past.

Destiny

Shaah Enthusiast
We also have high levels of autism and mental illness. Maybe this is proof we need to diversify our genes.

CaliTedesse

VIP
Will do. Even hair thinning is uncommon before the age of 40 kkk. If I impregnate 5% of the women in Somalia, bidaar, hair loss and thinning will be a thing of the past.

Sii wad jihaadka bro , mashallah

curse the ancestor that brought that defect to our people aakhhh tuuf!

Apollo

VIP
@CaliTedesse @Kishime

This study has not proven any physical (aesthetic) or mental abnormalities in Somalis. Only some slightly higher risk for diabetes and minor issues with certain drug metabolizing. Almost all populations got some minor health risks (look up Ashkenazi Jews and tay sachs disease).

Trending