Somali parents with college degrees

College degree ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
tell us more sxb...you mean the halaag war broke out while she was studying in india?

Halaag? And lol sorry to disappoint, but there's not much else to it. My abo sent my mum and my uncle to study in india shortly after he married her. Then the civil war in Somalia took a turn for the worse, lost(ish) access to all his properties in Muqdisho. Was made redundant in the UAE, visa expired etc. There was too much uncertainty so he just recalled them and sent them to Europe before joining them a few months after.

My mother has a degree she went back to uni when I was in primary school some night she would drag me to her lectures and I would sit at the back with my kfc I enjoyed it

Damn now that's dedication, big up your mum. What a great role model, don't let nothing stop you.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
One parent has a Graduate degree in a STEM program from Europe, the other has a degree in Finance from North America. One parent went to uni in the late 60s, the other in the early 80s. I'm one of the few anchor babies born before the war in North America. My parents knew the country was on the brink of collapse. Both my parents were formerly educated before English was totally removed from the Somali curriculum. Although I believe in the importance of Somali instruction, not having English taught in successive generations created a problem once Somalis left Somalia (as English has become the lingua franca of the world). I kind of notice that Somalis in my parents generation have a stronger command of English. I grew up around many Somali intellectuals as a child from various qabils and I've noticed this trend. I don't mean to sound elitist because I'm not. People do what they can according to the opportunities their granted and their level of ambition. Some experiencing greater adversity surpass those granted more opportunities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.