Somali Nomad Diet

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
1686604914356.jpeg
I wanna try and craft the ultimate nomadic diet and try it out for the next couple weeks.I always see images of old Somali men and they have very impressive facial development. They didn't have many of the health issues that modern day somalis are facing. Im sure baasto,baaris, laxoox and sabaayad every day is going to take a toll on your health.

Also learning more about how humans were affected by the agricultural revolution makes me sad.
IMG_1509.jpeg

To those who are more knowledgeable do you know what the average Somali nomad, back before colonialism affected us, diet was compromised of?

Im sure it was camel meat, lamb and Camel Milk but thats where i draw a blank.

Nin123

Patriarchy is from Allah
VIP
View attachment 278691I wanna try and craft the ultimate nomadic diet and try it out for the next couple weeks.I always see images of old Somali men and they have very impressive facial development. They didn't have many of the health issues that modern day somalis are facing. Im sure baasto,baaris, laxoox and sabaayad every day is going to take a toll on your health.

Also learning more about how humans were affected by the agricultural revolution makes me sad.
IMG_1509.jpeg

To those who are more knowledgeable do you know what the average Somali nomad, back before colonialism affected us, diet was compromised of?

Good luck walal

NidarNidar

Punisher
View attachment 278691I wanna try and craft the ultimate nomadic diet and try it out for the next couple weeks.I always see images of old Somali men and they have very impressive facial development. They didn't have many of the health issues that modern day somalis are facing. Im sure baasto,baaris, laxoox and sabaayad every day is going to take a toll on your health.

IMG_1509.jpeg

I practised keto for a few months, had complete mental clarity, was more outgoing, and had more energy, I could run for days, could easily go on a 3-4 day water fast, my body felt great, and I lost like 20KG in 2 months, it gets you lean so if you're trying to gain muscle, you might need to eat carbs when working out.

Somali diet was called โ€œcadd iyo caanoโ€
meat and milk.

the diet consisted of.

Sheep, camel, cow and goat, nose to tail.
Different animal fats, for cooking and drinking.
Milk mostly from camels but also from goats and cows.

Carbs from a local plant that grows something in between grains and legumes
And honey when in season.

very basic carnivore diet with minimum carb cycling.

They considered chicken and fish to be inferior and they were right, no meat can compare to red meat period.

ps if you want to use this diet to build muscle I made an entire thread about it, scroll down in the mens cave. You will have all the info you need to transform yourself.

Last edited:

Shimbiris

ุจู‰ูŽุฑ ุบู‰ูŽู„ ุฅูŠุค ุนุขู†ุค ู„ุค
VIP
  • Dairy: raw milk, sourmilks, yogurt, cheese, butter and ghee
  • Meat: mainly from goats and sheep due to availability
  • Organs: they mainly just ate liver, kidneys and tripe
  • Fruit & Raw Honey: usually wild but some cultivated like dates from date groves and only really had sparsely when in season
  • Traditional flatbread (i.e. canjeero/laxoox): though nomads have been noted to go a whole lifetime without touching anything grain-based but this could sometimes be a fallback food

That was basically it, as far as we know. Dairy was what was consumed the most due to availability. Meat would have been consumed far more but unless you were basically nobility living along the coastal towns most people could not afford to be slaughtering an animal, even more common ones like goats and sheep, every other day for the family.

Last edited:

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
  • Dairy: raw milk, sourmilks, yogurt, cheese, butter and ghee
  • Meat: mainly from goats and sheep due to availability
  • Organs: they mainly just ate liver, kidneys and tripe
  • Fruit & Raw Honey: usually wild but some cultivated like dates from date groves and only really had sparsely when in season
  • Traditional flatbread (i.e. canjeero/laxoox): though nomads have been noted to go a whole lifetime without touching anything grain-based but this could sometimes be a fallback food

That was basically it, as far as we know. Dairy was what was consumed the most due to availability. Meat would have been consumed far more but unless you were basically nobility living along the coastal towns most people could not afford to be slaughtering an animal, even more common ones like goats and sheep, every other day for the family.
I don't know about the south but in waqooye, Somalis never master the art of making cheese and they can only extract butter from sour milk by using 1 simple method. Ethiopians who have limited livestocks actually know how to make cheese and cream.

The farmer diet is definitely superior. They eat the Nomadic diet with a addition of grains and beans and fruits and vegetables making it a ultimate diet.

Shimbiris

ุจู‰ูŽุฑ ุบู‰ูŽู„ ุฅูŠุค ุนุขู†ุค ู„ุค
VIP
I don't know about the south but in waqooye, Somalis never master the art of making cheese and they can only extract butter from sour milk by using 1 simple method. Ethiopians who have limited livestocks actually know how to make cheese and cream.

This is not actually true. Firstly, the reason cheese was not that common is because before the modern era without some biochemical knowledge it was pretty much impossible to make cheese from camel milk and camels were always the main milking animals for Somali pastoralists:

This was a problem in the sahara as well:

But cheese is an alien concept to the camel-driving nomads of the Sahara, because it is next to impossible to get camelโ€™s milk to set.

Secondly, there are actually, contrary to popular belief, written records of Somali nomads historically eating or carrying around cheese. I would always run into them whenever I'd be reading about what the nomads brought into towns like Harar or Xamar:

Probably milked from their goats and sheep and not as common as sour-milks, yogurt, butter and ghee.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
This is not actually true. Firstly, the reason cheese was not that common is because before the modern era without some biochemical knowledge it was pretty much impossible to make cheese from camel milk and camels were always the main milking animals for Somali pastoralists:

This was a problem in the sahara as well:

Secondly, there are actually, contrary to popular belief, written records of Somali nomads historically eating or carrying around cheese. I would always run into them whenever I'd be reading about what the nomads brought into towns like Harar or Xamar:

Probably milked from their goats and sheep and not as common as sour-milks, yogurt, butter and ghee.
That's true. It's also difficulty to extract butter from sour camel milk. Camel milk were always reserved for drinking based on my experience living in baadiye and the stories I was told by my grandparents. Somalis have lots of sheeps, goats and cattles besides camels. Milk from sheeps and goats (and sometimes cows) would go straight to the sour milk container which will later be shaked to produce butter and low fat sour milk, whereas fresh cows and camels milk are their favorite meal sources ( nowadays ,reer baadiye sell almost all of their fresh cows and camel milk directly to the urban population).
The traditional method of making yogurt has now been forgotten in waqooye as Somalis don't have as much livestock as they used to. During wet season, waqooye somali nomads used to make Yogurts by putting all types of left-over milk in a man-made hole in the ground. After several weeks, the milk will turn into concentrated sour milk or concentrated yogurt as water slowly evaporates from it. My mother witnessed the yogurt making process at a young age and it was the last time her family made yogurt.
Reer Xamar cadad did influence many Somalis from that area, so southern Somalis do know more traditional food/milk processing techniques which includes making cheese and so on.

Last edited:

World

VIP

IMG_1509.jpeg

that first picture is hilarious :russ: :mjlol:

techsamatar

I put Books to the Test of Life
Somali diet was called โ€œcadd iyo caanoโ€
meat and milk.

the diet consisted of.

Sheep, camel, cow and goat, nose to tail.
Different animal fats, for cooking and drinking.
Milk mostly from camels but also from goats and cows.

Carbs from a local plant that grows something in between grains and legumes
And honey when in season.

very basic carnivore diet with minimum carb cycling.

They considered chicken and fish to be inferior and they were right, no meat can compare to red meat period.

ps if you want to use this diet to build muscle I made an entire thread about it, scroll down in the mens cave. You will have all the info you need to transform yourself.
I cannot find your thread can you send the link on here.

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
i was born with allergies and blocked nose most of my life, if i could acc breathe through my nose I would look like this chad by now
Take allergy tablets.

Internet Nomad

VIP
Yeah i actually did it for two months and it went well and the positive effects are real.

I felt more alert and my allergies went away for the most part. Lack of sugar also played a massive role. Weight loss was something I noticed after a few weeks in.

One thing that i also added to the diet was fasting. thatโ€™s something our ancestors used to do often especially when they were travelling. I remember reading how somalis used to mock the British travellers because they had to get their meals constantly when the somalis can live off hardly any food whilst travelling.

After two months because the diet is super restrictive. But i plan to get back to it inshallah.

Trending