Somali names and regional differences?

I have been asking myself why northern somalis have different names, and I think because we had a different origin!

( Only somaliland region)
Bidde Kayd Keyse Kaahin Badeed Kaliil Raage Biniin Bayle maax, Riyaale Seed Faahiye Warfaa(maybe oromo?), Abrayn Sahal Cabdilaahi Abokor.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

How exactly are Kayd, Faahiye, Sahal, Abdullah, Abokor authentic Somali names? They are Arabic in origin.

Abrayn, Badeed, Biniin...Aren't those like clan names? Never met anyone with those names, yar iyo weynba:mugshotman:

Similarly, Maax, Kaliil, Bidde, Seed iyw. are too old school. Yaa la baxaba?

I have relatives named Keyse, Kaahin, Riyaale, Raage, Diiriye etc. but they are like 40+

Laakiin maxay kaaga taala, there are so many interesting Somali names, but they are dying out in numbers because Somalis would rather take name inspos from shisheeye.

One of my biggest wtf moments were when I met Somali guys with the names Najah and Nadeem. Ummad dhan oo waxoodii loo dacareeyay, truly sad state of affairs.

PS: Warfaa is not Oromo. It's a combination of war + faafay aka someone famous/well known.

Faahiye

Male Male Male Male
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

How exactly are Kayd, Faahiye, Sahal, Abdullah, Abokor authentic Somali names? They are Arabic in origin.

Abrayn, Badeed, Biniin...Aren't those like clan names? Never met anyone with those names, yar iyo weynba:mugshotman:

Similarly, Maax, Kaliil, Bidde, Seed iyw. are too old school. Yaa la baxaba?

I have relatives named Keyse, Kaahin, Riyaale, Raage, Diiriye etc. but they are like 40+

Laakiin maxay kaaga taala, there are so many interesting Somali names, but they are dying out in numbers because Somalis would rather take name inspos from shisheeye.

One of my biggest wtf moments were when I met Somali guys with the names Najah and Nadeem. Ummad dhan oo waxoodii loo dacareeyay, truly sad state of affairs.

PS: Warfaa is not Oromo. It's a combination of war + faafay aka someone famous/well known.
@one,

Are you sure Faahiye is Arabic?

Best,

Faahiye

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
I just came back online to represent my kinsmen The Noble Biiyomaal

We have distinct names from the rest of geeljire

We value our ancestral names than the current Islamic/Arabised names that is common throughout Somaliweyn

Without further ado, I'm honoured to share them with you
These are common male names for Biiyomaal
(Btw I'm not abdi I just use it as username lol)

Warsame
Guray
Liibaan
Tahliil
Sharmaake
Magan
Geedi
Tadalesh
Ashkir
Ayaanle
Caynaanshe
Degaweyna
Gacayte
Habsade
Keeynaan
Looyaan
Raage
Samakaab
Taban
Waaberi
Sooyaan
Samu'eel
Yooxanaa
Mankaal
Samaanka
Rooble
Qorane

Axmed
Awad,
these are foreign names but were adopted due to contact with strangers , to take outsider's names(other qabiils) are undesirable in our culture let alone adopting Islamic ones but they are an exception today

Female names for Biiyomaal
Biiyomaal men raided adversaries and take concubines from various clans hence there isn't much difference but slight contrasts
Ayaan
Aragsan
Amburo
Arda
Barni
Deeqa
Idil
Ladan
Tissa
Waris
Sagal

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I just came back online to represent my kinsmen The Noble Biiyomaal

We have distinct names from the rest of geeljire

We value our ancestral names than the current Islamic/Arabised names that is common throughout Somaliweyn

Without further ado, I'm honoured to share them with you
These are common male names for Biiyomaal
(Btw I'm not abdi I just use it as username lol)

Warsame
Guray
Liibaan
Tahliil
Sharmaake
Magan
Geedi
Tadalesh
Ashkir
Ayaanle
Caynaanshe
Degaweyna
Gacayte
Habsade
Keeynaan
Looyaan
Raage
Samakaab
Taban
Waaberi
Sooyaan
Samu'eel
Yooxanaa
Mankaal
Samaanka
Rooble
Qorane

Axmed
Awad,
these are foreign names but were adopted due to contact with strangers , to take outsider's names(other qabiils) are undesirable in our culture let alone adopting Islamic ones but they are an exception today

Female names for Biiyomaal
Biiyomaal men raided adversaries and take concubines from various clans hence there isn't much difference but slight contrasts
Ayaan
Aragsan
Amburo
Arda
Barni
Deeqa
Idil
Ladan
Tissa
Waris
Sagal
Samu'eel
Yooxanaa? These sound Christian

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
Samu'eel
Yooxanaa? These sound Christian
Haa sxb, I always wondered why we have these names since they are common ,
For example
There are common names in southern Somalia
Sharmaake dirisle Yooxanaa
Yuusuf Cali Samu'eel
Kaahin Osoble Yooxanaa
Jaamac Yooxanaa
Ashkir Samu'eel

Unfortunately they are dying out

Abdis and Mohammed's are replacing them

I also trace lineages to these two names through 16 grandfathers
a span of 8 centuries

In Pre Islam ,
Our ancestors were merchants trading with Abbysinians hence missionaries to convert them were sent, but few embraced Christianity
meanwhile the rest of dir were practicioners of Waaq
names like these still exist but are somalised........

Last edited:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
For example
Yuusuf Cali Samu'eel
Kaahin Osoble Yooxanaa
Jaamac Yooxanaa
Ashkir Samu'eel

a span of 8 centuries

In Pre Islam ,
Our ancestors were merchants trading with Abbysinians hence missionaries to convert them were sent, but few embraced Christianity
Wow, this new to me, I knew few Somalis were Christian back then, but didn't know a whole clan was practising it, especially biyomaal are far away from christian nation like abasiniya and other Somali clan were closer to them, but still they were worshiping waaq.

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
Sharmarke isn't a Somali name shar is arabic:liberaltears:
In Somali
It means to bring good fortune
In all parts of Koonfur
Later on
it was discovered and adopted by various northern somali clans that heavily intermixed with Southern Arabians hence the meanings and interpretation changed in a rapid pace in most parts of Central, Nothern Somalia and ofcourse Banaadir
it means see no evil

many names , gabay and geerar were distorted and Arabised ama sida loo yaqaano carabiyeynta erayadda

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
Wow, this new to me, I knew few Somalis were Christian back then, but didn't know a whole clan was practising it, especially biyomaal are far away from christian nation like abasiniya and other Somali clan were closer to them, but still they were worshiping waaq.
Explain:ohreally:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
In Somali
It means to bring good fortune
In all parts of Koonfur
Later on
it was discovered and adopted by various northern somali clans that heavily intermixed with Southern Arabians hence the meanings and interpretation changed in a rapid pace in most parts of Central, Nothern Somalia and ofcourse Banaadir
it means see no evil

many names , gabay and geerar were distorted and Arabised ama sida loo yaqaano carabiyeynta erayadda
Been badanaa :icon lol: :icon lol:

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar
For example
Yuusuf Cali Samu'eel
Kaahin Osoble Yooxanaa
Jaamac Yooxanaa
Ashkir Samu'eel

a span of 8 centuries

In Pre Islam ,

Stop lying my husband is biyomaal and so is my ayeeyo , they dont have any Christian forefathers. As a matter of fact they were the first to fight against the Italians .