Somali mothers of mixed-race kids establish an organization to stop discrimination against their children

It's Official Xamar Maddobe
lucious lyon smh GIF by HULU

CanoGeel

"Show respect to all people, but grovel to none"
Children in Somalia born to one Somali and one foreign parent face discrimination, rejection and a lack of identity, according to a local association set up to support mixed-heritage people.

The Somali Iska-Dhal Association helps both the children and their mothers as they deal with these issues.

Its leader Aisha Jama, says her child was ridiculed at school because of his background. She has never managed to track down her child’s father who was from Uganda and was stationed in Mogadishu as part of the AMISOM peacekeeping mission.

“The [children] need support, they need to be comforted that they are Somalians and that they are entitled to all the constitutional rights,” Mr Jama told the BBC.

UmulKhayr Mahad, 26, had a daughter, who is now three, with a Turkish man who briefly came to the Somali capital for work.

She says whenever she calls the father, he agrees to come to confirm through a DNA test that he is the biological parent but has never shown up.

In another case, a 16-year-old boy who was born to a Somali mother and a Burundian father had to seek help at Halane military base when he wanted to find out who his father was.

“By God’s grace, in July 2020 they told me that they found my dad. I was very happy when we talked on phone. I am looking forward to meet him face-to-face,” he told the BBC.
" in a new development that put a twist in the tail, Guleid Jama, a rights activist with a mixed heritage and one of the Founders of the The "Somali Iska-Dhal Association" quit and accused the nascent organization of hostility and targeted discrimination for "being born out of a Somali father and a foreign mother" a minority with in the group.

" There are only two of us with paternal connection to the country and while this was not an issue when few of us were founding the organization from scratch and certainly not on my my scope,but as membership increased, people unfairly started questioning our loyalty and commitment."

"They casually refered to us as Unicorns and one per-centers." he added " We felt sidelined, excleded and othered and it was increasingly becoming toxic .":faysalwtf:

" in a new development that put a twist in the tail, Guleid Jama, a rights activist with a mixed heritage and one of the Founders of the The "Somali Iska-Dhal Association" quit and accused the nascent organization of hostility and targeted discrimination for "being born out of a Somali father and a foreign mother" a minority with in the group.

" There are only two of us with paternal connection to the country and while this was not an issue when few of us were founding the organization from scratch and certainly not on my my scope,but as membership increased, people unfairly started questioning our loyalty and commitment."

"They casually refered to us as Unicorns and one per-centers." he added " We felt sidelined, excleded and othered and it was increasingly becoming toxic .":faysalwtf:
he got the privileged lamagoodle treatment :dead:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Please let’s be tolerant of this latest clan, the AMISOM clan. We must include them in the 4.5

They deserve respect. They're gonna be one of the only Somali qabiilo that can actually prove having foreign origins. Daroods and Isaaqs out here with E-V32 and T-L208 from pre-Islamic Yemen at best but claiming to be Banu Hashim.

:mjkkk:

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
Its pretty normal back in Somalia and Jabutti to Marry foreigners the people there are more open, compared to the Somalis in the west. I have 2 aunties there married to Arabs, and they live well, husbands provide and take care of them.
My cousin also married her Palestinian husband she meet in Borama and she and her husband did tahrib together with their 2 children and made it to Switzerland, now they have 8 kids lol, but Mashallah he is a hard worker, he loves his kids and takes them out daily. He became also Somali lol he speaks fluently and eats khat 🤣 he says he loves Somali culture and the people.

Its pretty normal back in Somalia and Jabutti to Marry foreigners the people there are more open, compared to the Somalis in the west. I have 2 aunties there married to Arabs, and they live well, husbands provide and take care of them.
My cousin also married her Palestinian husband she meet in Borama and she and her husband did tahrib together with their 2 children and made it to Switzerland, now they have 8 kids lol, but Mashallah he is a hard worker, he loves his kids and takes them out daily. He became also Somali lol he speaks fluently and eats khat 🤣 he says he loves Somali culture and the people.
If eating khat is Somali culture then I'm a fake Somali

I've realised that Somalis In the West are more insular and racist than even Somalis back home and in the gulf. I've met a lot of Somali men and women married to Arab ect and no one looks down on them and their kids. I think unfortunately, they have more of an issue with madows ect. My cousin from back home is also married to an Arab man and no one in her big family disowned her and the kids are loved just as much as all the other grandkids ect. Whilst her brothers were not too happy in the beginning, they're all on very good terms with her husband and are very friendly with him.

The biggest demographic that probably hate interracial marriages with a passion is definitely young Abdis. A lot of it has to do with entitlement issues though. Whilst the older generation dislike it, they don't call people and other names for marrying out provided its a halal marriage ect.

Last edited:

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Being half ajnabi half somali in somalia is like being half black and half chinese in rural china. I feel sorry for those kids who did nothing wrong. How misfortunate.

Being half ajnabi half somali in somalia is like being half black and half chinese in rural china. I feel sorry for those kids who did nothing wrong. How misfortunate.

If its half Arab, then its normal. In Xamar in the 60s,70s and 80s there were many who lived in the same neighborhood as my parents and no one gave a shit. Somalis aren't as backwards as you think they are. At one point, Moqdishu was rather multicultural. I don't know about small tuulos though.

Trending