Somali language dying out

Status
Not open for further replies.

AarHawd_7

North-West, London
Its really dying out amongst kids I noticed.. Wallaahi waan naxay. This generation little kids under the 10 dont speak one word af Somali. Imagine what will happen in 50 years time? That would be disastrous.

So I am babysitting my nieces daughters of my oldest sister. I was just lazying around and told a 5 year old year old to close the door properly. Basically "albaabka sii fiican u soo xir"

The little 5 year old goes: What did you say I didnt understand you? English please.

:mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

Imagine these ones having kids? Waa cadaan caadi ah. Im blaming young Somali parents to be honest. Why would raise them speaking Ingiriis in stead of af-Soomaali?

R.I.P Af Somaali
R.I.P Somali culture

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
wtf.png
RIP Sooo + Maal + ii

Sheikh

Jaalle Ugas ''Comrade Ugas''
VIP
If you have kids in the West. They will always be talking in Af English. Unless if you start teaching them Af Somali 24/7 at home. Or either taking them to Somalia is a good way to get them to learn the mother language easily.

My brother is 6 and he can understand somali, but can't speak it properly does your sister only speak english with your neice? The question is do alot of young somali parents even know the language themselves its say wallahi generation that are producing

AarHawd_7

North-West, London
If you have kids in the West. They will always be talking in Af English. Unless if you start teaching them Af Somali 24/7 at home. Or either taking them to Somalia is a good way to get them to learn the mother language easily.

Abti imagine these ones living in Somalia. How are they gonna survive? These ones start crying already when I leave the room. Their counterparts in Somalia are herding cattles.

AarHawd_7

North-West, London
My brother is 6 and he can understand somali, but can't speak it properly does your sister only speak english with your neice? The question is do alot of young somali parents even know the language themselves its say wallahi generation that are producing

I noticed she only speaks af somali with them when she is angry. The rest of the time its English. Mind that my sisters Af Somali is really good. So it doesnt make really sense.

Sheikh

Jaalle Ugas ''Comrade Ugas''
VIP
Abti imagine these ones living in Somalia. How are they gonna survive? These ones start crying already when I leave the room. Their counterparts in Somalia are herding cattles.

I see. Sxb you should sometimes try to teach them minor af Somali words for them to begin with. Then their vocab laa jid will build up.

We need to learn a civilised language like Arabic @ home. Arabic will probably become lingua Franca of Somalia. Somalis might as well make it their home language. Amharic, Arabic, Zwahili and more cultured languages are going to killing off Somalia language.

I've noticed other immigrant groups, open schools for children to learn their mother tongue on the weekends or after school. I'm sure Somalis would start doing the same soon, and that many 3rd generation Somalis(if not most) will be attending one of them as well.

I've noticed other immigrant groups, open schools for children to learn their mother tongue on the weekends or after school. I'm sure Somalis would start doing the same soon, and that many 3rd generation Somalis(if not most) will be attending one of them as well.
Somalis should enrol their children in Arabic schools.It makes no sense to learn Somali, a language which will become extinct in the West within 40 years.

Guts

Bosaso iyo Bandar Siyada
VIP
Its really dying out amongst kids I noticed.. Wallaahi waan naxay. This generation little kids under the 10 dont speak one word af Somali. Imagine what will happen in 50 years time? That would be disastrous.

So I am babysitting my nieces daughters of my oldest sister. I was just lazying around and told a 5 year old year old to close the door properly. Basically "albaabka sii fiican u soo xir"

The little 5 year old goes: What did you say I didnt understand you? English please.

:mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

Imagine these ones having kids? Waa cadaan caadi ah. Im blaming young Somali parents to be honest. Why would raise them speaking Ingiriis in stead of af-Soomaali?

R.I.P Af Somaali
R.I.P Somali culture
Almost every somali parent in sweden have a rule that goes "Talk somali at home and swedish outside" every somali kid knows somali here. Even my 3 year old brother speaks more somali than 20 year olds in UK/USA

My somali is pretty much perfect. But my parents never encouraged me to talk it at home and I found myself age 20 barely speaking somali. I made it my goal to learn somali and put so much over the years. Constantly talking to somalis, watch somali news, read books in somali....keep looking up words. I felt while I could barely speak somali....I wasnt a real somali.

Our parents really need to put more effort in teaching kids their language, history and culture.

The best way for the generation that grew up in the west to not forget their mother tongue is for them to speak only af in Somali at home. The unspoken rule in my family when I was growing up was to speak only in af Somali at home my dad hated it when we spoke in af Swahili now more than 10 years later my Swahili is eber and it has been replaced by English. I can still speak fleuntly in af Somali, my little siblings fleuntly speak in af Somali as well but I’m worried about my niece she doesn’t talk in af Somali as often and always communicate in English.

And how would speaking Arabic be beneficial then? :drakewtf: That will be extinct here as well,
It won’t be extinct because there are many Arabic and Islamic schools. It is too late to save Somali. I think Somalis should speak Somali as a second languag in Somalia and adopt Arabic as the first; Somalis in the West should learn Arabic and English; those in Kenya/ Ethiopia have started the process of adopting Zwahili, Oromo and Amharic. They have realised Somali is a
Lingua Franca for camel herders. It brings no economic, political or educational benefits. Why do you think Somali never had a script for so long? I don’t see the point in forcing kids to learn a pointless language for the sake of emotional ethno nationalism.

It won’t be extinct because there are many Arabic and Islamic schools. It is too late to save Somali. I think Somalis should speak Somali as a second languag in Somalia and adopt Arabic as the first; Somalis in the West should learn Arabic and English; those in Kenya/ Ethiopia have started the process of adopting Zwahili, Oromo and Amharic. They have realised Somali is a
Lingua Franca for camel herders. It brings no economic, political or educational benefits. Why do you think Somali never had a script for so long? I don’t see the point in forcing kids to learn a pointless language for the sake of emotional ethno nationalism.
Nacas baad tahay. I stopped reading after this line

hell no...Im not gonna have an a carab say you dont even have your own language. You have to use ours. We should save our language. There are enough of us somalis in the world. And if we use your logic outside of 5-6 languages rest are pointless. The ethopians have 80+ languages and we cant take care of one? waryaa isku xishood

My uncles is pretty young and so is his wife so my little kids speak really good somali and his wife grew up in the West. Only 3-5 years old and can understand and speak somali.

If you teach them they will learn so it can happen but seeing the people my age not speaking somali properly is something shock worthy

Status
Not open for further replies.