Somali diaspora youth issues:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
I am more speaking off how to prevent them from drinking,drugs and crime in the first place. yeah agree there is stigma attached those particular individuals who fall in to that life, but considering how integrating into the North American society after you've done that kind of work is next to nothing. So i don't think stigmatizations affect is very negligent compared to that, our core focus should minimize people who prey to the urban street life.

I agree but i feel like some people make Excuses for what they become like i grew up poor, no father, bad neighborhood, those things are bad but it shouldnt mean the person is destined to fail

I mean if you already think you cant do better than that and settle with that lifestyle then youve already failed there are people whove lived in the ghetto and still went to college despite how they grew up they didnt let that Define them or stop them from achieving success

It all starts with the person and they are actually responsible for theyre choices and actions in life thats the truth

What Somali culture are you speaking about you mean the one that disintegrated the country. The one that left millions displaced, starving, fleeing anywhere that will accept them

This has very little logic to it, You are purposely making a political issue into a cultural one. If it was up to culture Somalis would have lived side by side peacefully and united, based on a common core.

It has nothing to do with culture my friend.

The best situation is the avoid each other in person and leave our collective identity at the door. We need to assimilate into our new cultures and accept our backward culture has caused us more harm then progress. The best thing to do is form subgroups that branch into specific interest Somali Chess club. That way we have neutral system to keep us together without politics involved. The best way ultimately for us to move forward is to leave the past behind.

I think its best for us to return to our roots take strength and power from it and strengthen our collective Somali identity. Somali culture is empowering and culture should cultivate.

I think what is best for us to do is for Somalis to approach modernity with Somali culture as the foundation. From legal systems, to social structure,education,media etc.

Maybe even make a Shax game Club instead of Chess club. Our own culture and identity is essential for our development as people.

Even the western gusslickers who you worship will tell you that.

x1c51d.jpg

I think this is a multi-layered problem. And I do see it improving like @Kafiyee touched on. I understand it's not fair to blame Somali parents for the outcome. However, having a strong family unit certainly is an asset to children. I haven't come across many Somali kids doing poorly or involved in crime if they come from a supportive extended family, two-parent home and/or live in safe neighbourhoods. Many Somalis in the west arrived as Single parents (mothers) via widowhood or divorce. Somali fathers have historically had greater access to education and are more fluent in the languages of the diaspora. So, this is a big loss when they are not present or not involved in the children's lives (as they can be distant to the point of being not there, which is just as bad). There also isn't a such thing as co-parenting, so when the father is out of the picture, he's not involved. I'm sure that alone has created some angry Somali men and women. This puts even greater strain on the hooyo to attempt to fulfill both shoes as a mother and surrogate father. Under these circumstances, an uncle might not live close by. If he lives around he might have his own familial demands (aka a lot of kids) and their might not be an older responsible brother to help out. Somali girls are told to get an education as there aren't many options for them. The boys are told the same, but are given more freedom than their sisters at an early age. An average Somali family would have sisters doing chores and the brothers chilling. This can breed laziness. The girls are also given a harder time and tongue lashing from hooyo macaan while the boys can get away with more. I will tell you not all families have this differential treatment but many do. This can harm them academically if they are out and about playing football or basketball with their homies and neglecting their studies on weekdays. Meanwhile their sisters are at home/more closely guarded. Somali boys vs. girls are more likely to have their peers and teachers have low academic expectations for them, which makes these children less motivated to succeed in academics (it's worse in bad neighbourhoods). A lot of teachers in general have a fixed mindset on intelligence and think you either have it or you don't, especially in the hood (where the worst teachers go). This is also similar to what Somalis believe. It amazes me how many of them don't realize continuous hard work, discipline and being able to defer reward for a better outcome actually makes you intelligent. I think many kids aim low while never realizing their academic potential. It's almost as though they think a bad grade makes you forever dumb. That's only a matter of your test preparation at a certain time interval. Many students overcome this through a strong desire to prove others wrong but peers and teachers can damage their self-esteem a bit, particularly for younger children that are more impressionable. If they live in a rough neighbourhood they can't dress up, but must blend in using a similar vernacular, manner of dress etc. Like I've said these neighbourhoods have higher crime rates and some of the children might be caught up in get rich quick schemes where they are seduced by fast and deadly means of making money.These cat should read 50th Law (50 cents book with Robert Greene). It speaks about how street life is a fast track to the grave so you better plan on an early retirement, or not bother with that life all together. It will only give you death, disease, handicap or incarceration with meager job choices and a relapse into a life of crime.

Youve made some notable points.
I think what is needed is to get accurate analyzes of it. I hope we Somali ourselves and not western accademics can conducted studeys surveys and statistics. So we can have a accurate outlook on the many issues. Draw bridges of correlation between them to determine if they are relevant.

We have soo many Sociology majors yet they would rather focus on rubbish about victimhood and blackness iy balaayo and turn into cultural marxists in the process. It will be useful if these graduates actually ditched that and applied an intellectual appraoch that didnt involve appealing to ajanabis.

From the studies conducted by academics in regards to school performance and defense against to prevelant urban culture seems to be centered more around on the importance of Identity and culture. Also how that can impact youth in a positive way.

Last edited:
I agree but i feel like some people make Excuses for what they become like i grew up poor, no father, bad neighborhood, those things are bad but it shouldnt mean the person is destined to fail

I mean if you already think you cant do better than that and settle with that lifestyle then youve already failed there are people whove lived in the ghetto and still went to college despite how they grew up they didnt let that Define them or stop them from achieving success

It all starts with the person and they are actually responsible for theyre choices and actions in life thats the truth

I agree, it doesn't go hand in hand with Somalis ressilient nature either if you wallow into a path of victimhood and self pity. What is needed is to empower the youth in this regard. Some kind of refrence from which they can draw from that articulate the positive reality that they need is important.

Somali culture was already waning in major cities before the civil war occurred, if you look at images of Somalis back then, you can see they were influenced by Western music and fasgion.

Nope Somalis culture is more than dress. A piece fabric does not make people westernized. You really live in a eurocentric reality

Some of you think Somali culture is to wear a piece of fabric then dance around like clowns on stage for the amusment of ajanabi tourists. Is it us or someone else —who defines the total expression of Somali culture; or is it a Myth we continue to internalize.

Somali culture is far more than a dance, dish or a dress. It does not exist for the pleasure of Western tourist, like a theme show at a Walt Disney exhibit. Somali culture is much more than the tangibles although culture is not static, ethos of culture is pretty much static.

From Ancient Somalia til now respect for elders has remained an unbroken cornerstone in Somali cultural systems. Marriage rites, burial rites, ancestors rites, still honor their original foundation.

Somali culture is much more than aestitics symbols, rituals and language. its our virtues/ethos in otherwords our cultural laws. That my friend was not changed at all in the days of siad barre before the civil war.

After the civil war these slightly Westernised Somalis fled with their offspring to the West. This resulted in their children assimilating into their host country's culture almost completely. Somali parents don't place much emphasis on speaking Af-Soomaali at home, they don't worry about teaching their children cultural dances or sayings. The only thing that is truly "Somali" about diaspora Somali is our diet.

Somali culture more than dance and sayings
And it is also critical to understand Somali culture is more than symbols, and rituals, languages and aesthetic, it is also those virtues such as hospitality, empathy, courtesy, and respect. So much so that the entire foundation of many of the rituals and customs are there to transmit these virtues. And it is from culture's creativity that creates music and dance, poetry and arts. But these are only some manifestations of culture. What some are left with today is the byproducts of culture, only music or only dance, while having no deep memory of the core cultural system.

Althoug language is convey beltor of culture so its very important to teach your kids, because it articulates the Somali reality,expressions etc. Key point in how you transplant these Somali values and ethics to youth.

Look at Pakistanis and Indians for example, their children speak the language, cook the food and are expected to marry within the community. It also helps that they are patriarchal by nature. Whereas Somalis in the diaspora are largely led by Somali women, these poor women are exhausted because they have to be both the man and the woman at home.

Not true at all most Somali families are led by the man as the main provider which is statistically correct, and its more inline that in the west its mostly about who can get a job and its less about gender roles so from each household it probably varies. Its speaks to the reality of the difficulties of aquiring work in the west and not about our society not being Patriarchal.
Somali society is patriarchal you wouldnt have all these ragging western Somali feminists if we weren't.

To sum up, we are turning into Ghetto African Americans; high divorce rates caused by apathetic "men" resulting in single mothers who raise children that are disconnected from our homeland. When you look at successful Somali families, you will find that both parents are actively present in their children's lives, you need a harmonious blend of male and female energies.

High divorce rates exists in various ethnic communities has nothing to with apathetic ''men'' cuz wast majority of Somali men and women who go through divorce remarry in the end. It's something that take place for complex reasons and from both sides as well. What statistics are the claims based on? we don't know how high or how low the divorce rate is in Somali communities are But I agree Both parents are essential in the household for the kids healthy development.

But i dont see why you would focus alot on our parents generations as they are largely battered and shock by the war are not going to lead the future. Us the Youth are going to lead future so its important we focus on instructing the youth and empowering them instilling them good Somali ethics and push for their development. Villifying our parents is a waste of time and not sure what that would do for us.

Btw Ghetto African Americans have a baby mama culture and very high illegitimacy rate. Most Somali kids are born in to two parents households and not outside of marriage. So i don't see your sarcastic remarks hold any weight at all.

Last edited:

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP
Fathers not being in the household, this is mainly due to the fact that the powers that be have decided to destroy the family unit. They figured if they take the father out of the house then there will be no one to discipline the child. Western law in general givers mothers overwhelmingly more power than a father, whereas a father is reduced to nothing, having no say over his children's life. A mother can bring up a child on her own but a father is needed for harsh love.

Waa ariin yaab leh, everyday they sign up with a new account with their bitter war cries. :pachah1:

It's as if what i preach is toxic to them:ulachen001::ulachen001:. If only they where that keen in Somali development and defending Somali culture & articulating our reality as they were in romanticizing & glorifying urban AA culture.:uCkf6mf:

paragon

Keeping it Real Since 01/01/90
Youve made some notable points.
I think what is needed is to get accurate analyzes of it. I hope we Somali ourselves and not western accademics can conducted studeys surveys and statistics. So we can have a accurate outlook on the many issues. Draw bridges of correlation between them to determine if they are relevant.

We have soo many Sociology majors yet they would rather focus on rubbish about victimhood and blackness iy balaayo and turn into cultural marxists in the process. It will be useful if these graduates actually ditched that and applied an intellectual appraoch that didnt involve appealing to ajanabis.

From the studies conducted by academics in regards to school performance and defense against to prevelant urban culture seems to be centered more around on the importance of Identity and culture. Also how that can impact youth in a positive way.

That's true an accurate analysis without the SJW victimhood parroting is needed. I think Somali students today fair better than Somali students say 5 or 10 year ago. To be honest, students that know their culture/language tend to fair better in terms of self-esteem and academic performance.

Zuleikha

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
I blame the parents honestly most somali parents lack parental skills if you look at it. They don't know how to discipline their kids all they know is how to put food on the table and make their beds. If you don't discipline your chikdrens at young age what are you going to expect.

Geeljire;

I did not claim or insinuate that Somali women carry bastards. Don't put words into my mouth.

I think you need to look at the definition of "sarcastic" before you start accusing people of it. As for your other comments, it seems like I touched a nerve with my commentary on the Somali male's role in this issue. If getting a job in the West is so difficult, how come Somali women don't seem to have much problems gaining employment? Are you going to deny that most Somali men are too proud to take on menial jobs and would rather live off of welfare/benefits, whilst telling the government that they are divorced? Meanwhile, their "ex wife" is pregnant every single year...And this is for those who are still married. Then you have those who are actually divorced and the 'father' is too busy with wife number two running the same benefit scam.

This disgusting welfare leeching culture has caused Somali children to turn into lost feral beings, which is not surprising considering they were raised on haram money.

Honest living+ hard work+ providing structure in your children's life= success.
Stealing from the government+neglecting your duties as a man/woman+ allowing your children to run around in the streets=diaspora Somalis.

I blame the parents honestly most somali parents lack parental skills if you look at it. They don't know how to discipline their kids all they know is how to put food on the table and make their beds. If you don't discipline your chikdrens at young age what are you going to expect.

Agreed, their children are raised by school teachers , the mosque teacher and the internet and then they act surprised when that child loses the plot.

Do you think Somalis being largely disunited is affecting the development of Somali diaspora youth in some regard? For instance there is no semblance of any community in many places in the diaspora and not much organized activity or networking going on.

completely agree, in big cities each clan has their own mosques. each tribes want someone of their tribe to provide translation services to them. there isn't any culture center where young people can hang out. my cousin told me that in ottawa there use to be a somalis language class that a somali educator was able to get funding from the local government to lease the space. after a year the program die out, either due to lack of support and indifference. Somalis youth have nothing to connect to their culture or history, even those of us in our 20-30 have only fragment about our country what do expect from those who were born here.

@Geeljire I agree with your points but Ive never been in NA so I dont know why somali youth act like gangbangers And leaning to that ghetto lifestyle

But i guess this should answer your questions btw i didnt wrote it

There are two words that simplifies the majority, not all though of the black race: extremely narcissistic. They're full of themselves & have no room for growth/maturity & they get testy when you catch & confront them on this. Basically they suffer from the Peter Pan syndrome. They refuse to grow up, but they think they're grown & anyone who challenges their thoughts and feelings, no matter how childish and unrealistic they truly are is the worst scum in the universe. Look at how they treat each other. A black person who grows up kind, humble & respectful & has their own individuality, they're called traitors, unc toms, disgraceful to blks everywhere, etc.They're selfish & so full of themselves, thinking they're above all else & are extremely deceptive & manipulative, caring for no1/anything, except when it's convenient for their egos & so they can continue to do all of this to everyone else. They make everyone in their race look bad & they don't even give a freak. This is why people don't wanna be bothered with blks.

there exposure has something to due with change in attitude among somalis youth absorb into black culture because they don't fit into the world of their parent and that of the wider dominant white culture. for example my cousin grew up in Dixon- the infamous somali neighbourhood. when he was growing up in 1993-1999. Dixon was safe, parent and children would stay out in the park between the building up to midnight. however thing began to change after 1999, it start with Stabbing, then the drug dealing than the prostitution. somalis boys have invited my cousin to go to a strip club with them, one where somali girls were on display. the standards of our people have truly fallen, we are just like the black Qashin. a few year ago, there was a gang that was pimping out girls some as young as 12 and trafficking them across state line.

the other problem is the North American system, in europe once young go to prison and serve your time and you get out after a while your record get expunge and you able to find work and integrate back into society. in NA, if you have criminal record, you record stays on the book, nobody want to hire an X-con. so to make a living, they need to go back to a life of crime and enter a never ending cycle. it call the court to prison industrial complex. I don't know about Canada but in america, the country has jail so many that they lease some prisons to private contractors who that establish deals with court to send even low level offender to prison so that prisons can make money. such a system is open to a lot of abuse. the truth is the system is stack against you if you are a minority which is why i feel sorry for these kids.

Last edited:
completely agree, in big cities each clan has their own mosques. each tribes want someone of their tribe to provide translation services to them. there isn't any culture center where young people can hang out. my cousin told me that in ottawa there use to be a somalis language class that a somali educator was able to get funding from the local government to lease the space. after a year the program die out, either due to lack of support and indifference. Somalis youth have nothing to connect to their culture or history, even those of us in our 20-30 have only fragment about our country what do expect from those who were born here.

Yes, this is what ive discovered as well. There is no unity or actual semblance of a community.

I have noticed that to any program or After school centers or activities that get started just end abruptely because of the reasons you have stated.

In Somali society it always took a village to raise a child

In that sense you can see from where it has impacts alot of youth.

Most ethnic communities have alot collective activity going and organize to pull the resources that they need. They will never tell you about them but you will see when you befriend many of them.

Also not mentioned Somalis do not have any unions or collective establishments the way that other ethnic groups have and because of this they do not know how to use the liable laws to their advantage. So the media can disparage us as much as they like and we have no ability to fight them off or shut them up. Some do not even realize that its their right not to get published.

Last edited:
Yes, this is what ive discovered as well. There is no unity or actual semblance of a community.

I have noticed that to any program or After school centers or activities that get started just end abruptely because of the reasons you have stated.

In Somali society it always took a village to raise a child

In that sense you can see from where it has impacts alot of youth.

Most ethnic communities have alot collective activity going and organize to pull the resources that they need. They will never tell you about them but you will see when you befriend many of them.

Also not mentioned Somalis do not have any unions or collective establishments the way that other ethnic groups have and because of this they do not know how to use the liable to their advantage. So the media can disparage us as much as they like and we have no ability to fight them off or Shut them up. Some do not even realize that its their right not to get published.

it unusually where i currently live there advertisement for greek language schools, Vietnamese and even Pakistani. they teach their kids on the weekend. while our parent send their children to dugsi and provide no other outlet for children so that somalis are the only people who lose their language in the 1st generation. another thing, i don't like is the sarcastic attitude of the elder, they make fun of children that try to speak somali making even these give up to avoid embarrassment. somethings in our culture need to die.

it unusually where i currently live there advertisement for greek language schools, Vietnamese and even Pakistani. they teach their kids on the weekend. while our parent send their children to dugsi and provide no other outlet for children so that somalis are the only people who lose their language in the 1st generation. another thing, i don't like is the sarcastic attitude of the elder, they make fun of children that try to speak somali making even these give up to avoid embarrassment. somethings in our culture need to die.

100% agree!

I suspect people flat out do not identify with being Somali beyond it just being a blank slate label with no meaning or refrence behind it.

We have zero organized collective interests & agendas because of it.

If we do not invest in what serves our development the youth( namely our values,culture & identity) we will just be automatically corrupted by outside influences that do a disservice to them.

Have you heard of the heritage academy fiasco?

100% agree!

I suspect people flat out do not identify with being Somali beyond it just being a blank slate label with no meaning or refrence behind it.

If we do not invest in what serves our development the youth will just be automatically corrupted by outside influences that do a disservice to them.

Have you heard of the heritage academy fiasco?

No

it does help that we arrive in west just a decade before 2011, and all the negative things that media attaches to our countries, culture, people and religion. that fact that pirates, terrorism, famine and war is all our countries is know for in the west. it not unusually that young kids waay is inkiran( i am ethiopia, or sudanese). furthermore, we live in a digital world which magnifies everything,there are groups, organization and individual whose sole goal is to attack islam and islamic culture and civilization(islamophobia is low keep in the public sphere, but it ubiquitous in the internet sphere. i have seen racists terrorize muslim kids online, giving these kids depression and low self esteem and they don't talk to their parent about this. how do you explain to you parent about cyber bulling, they don't understand, their have limit language, and computer skills, they are unable to show empathy which become a barrier in a society where a child expect positive reinforcement. thank be to good i am not in high school, Allah help our youth.

Apollo

VIP
Somalis need Asian style parenting. Pressure kids into doing their best in school and not complimenting them for Bs, :lol:.

W0WOlQU.jpg

oLcwqmL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts