Somali Bantu 23andme results

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar
IMO, They won't. It is already out of the question. It is a myth I see thrown around (''Khoisan'' Somalis) with very little evidence so far. The Booni who lead the purest of hunter gather lifestyles barely do. The Eeyle/Eelaay are more integrated with ethnic Somalis and likely have even more Cushitic/NEA percentages as their ancestral base which was then subsequently reduced by Bantu admixture. The Bantu admixture is likely the only main difference they have from regular Somalis.

Arent Eyle different from Elaay ?

Elaay is a Rahanweyn clan as far as I know while Eyle are a minority tribe that used to hunt animals and sell the meat to the Somali clans . They were basically considered an outcast clan like Madhiban and Tumaal .

Thought this might interest some of you

What confuses me the most is that most of her bantu DNA is derived from the Congo in comparison to the most accepted theory that somali bantus are costal swahilis from Mozambique and Tanzania and she’s also 14.6% somali which means intermarriage does happen
Their was definitely some intermarriage somewhere down the line with some Somali bantus. Not all of them just a very little small amount.

I live in San Diego their are more Somali bantus then Somalis here and some of them have lighter skin then other bantus from other African countries

A lot of them could pass as African Americans.

I even have a Bantu friend that has softer nappy hair kind of like Ethiopian peoples hair.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
She is a Shabelle JW. Apparently they have more Somali admixture than Jubba JWs. Lastly, AAs are admixed with full Eurasians. Ethnic Somalis are not full Eurasian, only 38%.

That is surprising. If I had to guess I would have said the Shabelle Bantu are about 25% Somali.

I have come across Somali bantus on social media, especially on tiktok where they have a huge presence. Just looking at them you can tell they have high amount of somali blood. Somalis think that these people are completely alien while they have literally part of us in them. I estimate that they have 10-50 % somali depending on the person

She is a Shabelle JW. Apparently they have more Somali admixture than Jubba JWs. Lastly, AAs are admixed with full Eurasians. Ethnic Somalis are not full Eurasian, only 38%.

Don’t think this is true. I have seen a video which featured somali bantus from Jubbaland. They were very much phenotypically somali. Also it could be possible this group might actually more admixture than shabelle ones. They could possibly have oromo mixture as I don’t believe that they were eradicated. Some of them could have assimilated by the bantus.

Lol, I know they are Digil and Mirifle, but IMO Isaaqs/Darods/Hawiyes group them all together.

They are not Digil and Mirifle. According to clan folklore, one group, the Quranyow, are Dir whilst the Tuuf are related to Gaaljecel, Degoodi, Cawramale and come under the Gardheere Samaale branch. Hawiyes and other Samaales know this, it is just the non-Samaales that are ignorant of their clan affiliation.

The Garre and Degoodi lived further North in Historical times and actually preceded the Mareexaan in Southern Somalia/K5. This happened during the Somali 'Volkswanderung' in the post Ahmed Gurey era. The Ogaden of the Jubbas only came to the scene after being pushed across the Jubba River by the Rahanweyn who were too strong for them. They then sought sanctuary among the Orma before usurping them after a smallpox epidemic and attacks from multiple clans weakened the Orma. It is the Cawlayahan Ogaden of Southern K5 that caused the later split between the Oromos and Rahanweyn in areas where they traditionally bordered each other. Nonetheless, some Ogaden did end up joining the Rahanweyn. For instance, the Hadamo have Ogadens among them.

Last edited:
Their was definitely some intermarriage somewhere down the line with some Somali bantus. Not all of them just a very little small amount.

I live in San Diego their are more Somali bantus then Somalis here and some of them have lighter skin then other bantus from other African countries

I even have a Bantu friend that has softer nappy hair kind of like Ethiopian peoples hair.

To be fair even looking at her she doesn't look typically bantu. You can tell she has admixture

We had a Somali bantu family friend who was married to a north sudanese person. She was so nice and i loved visiting her home and eating delicious unique sweets, like sabayad and xalwa etc.

I love all Somalis of all tribes and ethnicities

Kenya's and Tanzania's coastal areas were more swampy/humid and less hospitable to Cushites.

Highland area of Kenya and North Tanzania resemble Ethiopia climatically.
This came to mind:

Combining evidence from both eastern African genetic clusters, we document very different patterns of interaction and admixture from sampled individuals along the eastern African and Lake Victoria shores relative to the patterns in the Central Rift. Near lake and ocean coasts, we see little evidence for pastoralist admixture into forager individuals [e.g., Kenya_Nyarindi_3500BP and two previously sampled individuals from Zanzibar (3)]. Our analysis also demonstrates that the recently published individual from the cave site of Panga ya Saidi in coastal Kenya [Kenya_400BP (3)] similarly retains a predominantly eastern African forager ancestry, with only a small Levantine-related component. This is the exact opposite of the pattern observed in individuals around the Central Rift, where pastoralist-mediated, Levantine-related ancestry spread rapidly. It may be that delayed-return foragers in stable coastal and lacustrine environments were more demographically numerous and/or resistant to interactions with incoming food producers than other hunter-gatherers.

The 400-year old Kenyan forager sample is an example of how the conditions were such that there were barriers for gene flow between different subsistence groups in specific environments until relatively recently, while completely dynamically different in other environments like the Central Rift, where complex mixing happened for millennia, proving that one-size-fits-all models of potential demographic processes are not always correct.

We had a Somali bantu family friend who was married to a north sudanese person. She was so nice and i loved visiting her home and eating delicious unique sweets, like sabayad and xalwa etc.

Why do i think it was her cooking that got you hooked LOL. Caloosheed la ciyaar, hello Abti.

Do the girls look Hot saixb? I don't mind a Bantu lady. I love them sexy Somali Bantus. Plus she can cook Cambuulo like there is no tomorrow.

They're not Somali though but nice personal Anecdote none the less.

Arent Eyle different from Elaay ?

Elaay is a Rahanweyn clan as far as I know while Eyle are a minority tribe that used to hunt animals and sell the meat to the Somali clans . They were basically considered an outcast clan like Madhiban and Tumaal .

According to Virginia Luling the Eelaay are a noble Reewiin clan residing mostly at Buur Hakaba. The Eyle are two distinct groups living at Buur Heybe. One is the "hunters with dogs" who many anthropologists think are the native hunter-gatherers. The other is a Bantu group, farming clients of the hunters. There are three ethnically distinct groups with similar names.

See Somali Sultanate, p 182 and elsewhere.

@ Apollo: Omotic was a good guess before we had the genetic data on the pre-1800 Madows. There
were free Goobweyn who came to the Shabelli area from Gedo with the Gobroon. These were NOT brought by the Omanis.

Among the Geledi, chattel slaves of the third generation were born free and joined the Aaytire clan and diya group. The Gosha of the Jubba were largely brought by the Omanis and escaped from various Shabelle clans, in large numbers only after 1840. They are not to be confused with the Gabaweyn, Shiidle, Shabelle, etc who are distinct, independent clans. Most of the early slaves were Arsi and Borana, not Bantu at all. Oromo slaves were common among the nomad clans of the interriver area. See Luling, chap. 7.

Cerberus

I started my own security company Cerberus.
VIP
Thought this might interest some of you

What confuses me the most is that most of her bantu DNA is derived from the Congo in comparison to the most accepted theory that somali bantus are costal swahilis from Mozambique and Tanzania and she’s also 14.6% somali which means intermarriage does happen
Are we watching some Bantu woman spitting inside a DNA test?

Trending