Somali Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking through my Somalia files for a particular text and came across many images I saved last year. I saved them so I could get inspiration for designs for a house in the motherland in the future.

Please feel to share any pictures that showcase Somali architecture. Just make sure you don't share images of those monstrosities constructed post 1991 that we call houses (that are blue, green and yellow in colour), and the hotels and malls (that are wrapped completely in Alucobond).

NOT ALLOWED!!!!

Cs8fDqtWYAABpHo.jpg

4hPLywNw.jpeg

4457474950_e64665e575.jpg

ALLOWED !!!!!
Mog-2.jpg
8479075988_5822c3d689_z.jpg
Uruba_Hotel.jpg
tumblr_m4jtacnd6C1r9llg7o2_500.jpg
Maxkamada-sare3.jpg
10_25_2010_006.jpg

EDIT: Oddly, I can't get rid of these thumbnails. Miami art deco by Bettina Fabos.JPG tumblr_m0go6v8tB41r4438po1_400.jpg 5311134605_661ba680d1_z.jpg oct763.jpg

Don't kid yourself walaal, those are classical italian architecture. Somali's have never seen a two story building before they were colonised. Traditional somali architecture are one story mud/bamboo stick houses.

Don't kid yourself walaal, those are classical italian architecture. Somali's have never seen a two story building before they were colonised. Traditional somali architecture are one story mud/bamboo stick houses.

Some of the oldest cities in Africa, and the world, are Berbera, Zeila, Mogadishu, Bosaso etc. But you're right, those ancient cities were comprised of bamboo and mudhuts.:kodaksmiley:

The level of selfhate among some Somalis is cringe-inducing. Meanwhile, xabashis are still selling the "WE WUZ NEVA KOLNIZED" myth to the world. Smh

Here are two Dervish fortresses in Eyl.

ab79e19cec4c1a6c6415a3d80d93d139.jpg

large.jpeg

These are the ruins of other fortresses in Taleh.

Taleh_Castle.jpg

The ruins of more historic stone fortresses in Gondershe

Gondereshe2008.jpg

Some historic masonry arches in Zeila.

Zayla.jpg

Medieval Door and Windrow Frames

Coral_house_mogadishu.JPG

13th Centure Arba'a Rukun Mosque

c8fd60db653915b1afb76063882ec4d8.jpg

upload_2017-10-22_22-51-17.png

15th Century Tower in Mogadishu

Ancient-Almnara.jpg

tumblr_inline_mjcroxX8TM1qz4rgp.jpg

19th Century Fortress in Bargaal (Mijitirnian Sultanate) being bombed by Italian forces from the coast.

tumblr_mair87HWH01qill6po2_1280.jpg

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
Some of the oldest cities in Africa, and the world, are Berbera, Zeila, Mogadishu, Bosaso etc. But you're right, those ancient cities were comprised of bamboo and mudhuts.:kodaksmiley:

The level of selfhate among some Somalis is cringe-inducing. Meanwhile, xabashis are still selling the "WE WUZ NEVA KOLNIZED" myth to the world. Smh

IMG_3692.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts