Somali and tuaregs

The Camels of Cal madow

Porcupine and proud
I noticed that we somalis used to be called berbers by ibn batutta, at first I thought he was calling us berber because of the ancient Greeks. Then I found out that some somalis had the same haplogroup as the berbers in high numbers.

Why do the tuareg berbers look so similar to somalis even down to the cultural traditions.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Why do the tuareg berbers look so similar to somalis even down to the cultural traditions.
Who knows why?
1616319572153.png

1616319594819.png
1616319610598.png

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
It is 100% because of the Greeks. They and the Romans called coastal Cushitic people like Bejas, Afars, Sahos and Somalis, or at least whatever our ancestors went by, "Barbaroi". Even the Aksumite rulers who had a hard-on for Greek at certain points adopted this. The Tuaregs' haplogroup similarity to Somalis isn't, as far as I know, any greater than the similarity between us and other Berbers. We are all mostly descended from E-M35 (mostly M78, M81 etc) Paleolithic North-Africans in terms of Y-DNA in the Horn and Maghreb.

As for the similarity in looks sometimes, it stems from the fact that Tuaregs are a MENA+SSA mixed people like us except they lean more MENA than we do on average. But their MENA element is different from ours. Ours is more like pre metal-age Egyptians with a bit of roughly iron-age South Arabian whereas theirs is more like modern Berbers and their SSA is mostly West-African (think Gambians or Yoruba) whereas ours is more like the Dinka or the Gumuz.

Last edited:
I noticed that we somalis used to be called berbers by ibn batutta, at first I thought he was calling us berber because of the ancient Greeks. Then I found out that some somalis had the same haplogroup as the berbers in high numbers.

Tauregs are mostly 60% Berber with about 30% Sub Saharan African, the more ambiguous ones look more obviously black but lack the tropical african features and instead have aqualine noses and whatnot.

Apollo

VIP
Berber just meant ''African desert foreigner'' to Arabs. They weren't specific about it. They called a bunch of random people Berbers.

There is no recent relationship between Berbers and Somalis.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
you guys are grasping at straws. we aren't related. Some of them have clear west African features while northerns have less of them.

Well, technically yes. The only difference is the small Catholicism influence, but it’s very similar to Sunni Islam. The Tuareg side of my family only accepted my Somali grandpa to marry my grandma.

he was likely referring to the oromos since their old name was galla which means pagan barbarian.

Som

VIP

Bro they look nothing like us.
The ones who look like horners are mostly part berber part black , the original tuaregs look north african

Trending

Latest posts