Solo Travel

Do you not have a friend or a sibling that can travel with you? Solo travel sounds boring, you wanna explore places with someone.

It's fun in a very different way. It's oddly tranquil, and you're far more receptive to your surroundings. An underrated aspect of solo travel is that you are forced to interact with locals and other tourists.

I was in France recently with a friend, and not once did I interact with the locals. There's a psychological barrier if you're with someone familiar that kind of stops you from certain experiences.

I haven't been to that part of the world, but you definitely need to watch yourself as a woman. Unsexy truth about solo travel is that some parts of the world are just not feasible for women. A lady I knew went to the Caribbeans with her husband. She went to Puerto Rico or DR (I forget, but most likely the latter), Cuba and on her final stop to Jamaica. She told me she spent the entire time cooped at a resort or with a guide. She decided to go solo on her last stop, got constantly harassed in broad daylight and robbed on her way back.

Another girl I knew went to Greece last year. Blonde, blue-eyed and tall Flemish girl. Apparently stood out more than I would've thought and was subjected to non-stop catcalling and got followed during her week long stay. I might be wrong, but Greece probably isn't a very dangerous country. Still stuff like that can ruin your stay.
I’m aware that the Carribean has a “machismo” culture, but I hoped there wouldn’t be catcalling. Those stories you mentioned are actually pretty scary... I might rethink this whole solo trip thing.

Trending