So many questions.

Fascinating indeed. That explains everything. I wondered why a bunch of Somalis in the 70s protested one woman. I wasn’t just questioning how they knew her, but why they’re were invested. Angela Maxaa ka galaay? Why didn’t they protest the death of Malcolm X? Or the imprisonment of other members of the Black Panthers

Also, during that time period Said Barre had a good relationship with Soviets and Somalia was politically communist leaning. This was clearly an issue for the Americans.

Exactly, and these were the ones assassinated and imprisoned for life. Anything main stream/supported in the West is a deep state operation.

It was these same liberal/feminist groups backed by the west then and now.

This might bear relevance, or not.
In reading Mohamed Ali's biography, I remember an older Somali gentleman showing me a notebook used, in the 70s, at Somali schools by students in Middle Schools, bearing pictures of M Ali defeating J Frazer, with words to the effect of Ali representing Civil Rights movement, hence African power, whereas Frazer was seen as the antithesis, the White hope just like S Liston.

He too mentioned Malcolm X was being celebrated at schools with students closely following his trips through Africa. For both, Islam was a big factor.

Postscript:
Somalia was not just a WARSAW member, but was courting NATO at the same time, which precipitated its eventual downfall. When Somalia terminated the 1974 Somali-USSR Treaty in 1977, and subsequently kicking Russian generals out of the country in that year, with the Ogaden war flaming, the US quickly assumed its position.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Siad Barre was a pan Africanist pre 78 so it makes sense. Many songs that were pro African like Africa Hurdooy.

Barre supported Mugabe during his liberation struggle against racist Rhodesia. Barre trained many of their soldiers and offered financial and logistical support.

Barre also helped fund and prop up the Nelson Mandela campaign for freedom.

Somalia also trained many burgeoning African countries militaries such as Namibia and Zambia.

Despite all this, we have received only abuse and sometimes even murder from the very same Africans we helped defend.

:meleshame:

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Siad Barre was a pan Africanist pre 78 so it makes sense. Many songs that were pro African like Africa Hurdooy.

Barre supported Mugabe during his liberation struggle against racist Rhodesia. Barre trained many of their soldiers and offered financial and logistical support.

Barre also helped fund and prop up the Nelson Mandela campaign for freedom.

Somalia also trained many burgeoning African countries militaries such as Namibia and Zambia.

Despite all this, we have received only abuse and sometimes even murder from the very same Africans we helped defend.

:meleshame:
This is why I reject the pan africanist movement. These people don't care about somalis and actively attack us so why help them

Xoxoxo

VIP
@Angelina people here are posting tweets as some kind off proof and are showing you odd articles that “might” be fake, don’t follow it.

Politics has always been a thing in Somalia, people in the past were very much aware of what was going on around them, especially during the radio time (70s-80s).

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Somalis were very much aware of what was going on globally I remember reading this extract about a guy who was "discovering" the horn and exploring its interior for the purposes of colonisation and he came upon a guy who was living in the badiya and this guy started speaking to him in hindi thinking he came for trade from india and even asked him which part he came from. anyways he then went on to ask him about how the crimean war was going in Europe after finding out he was white and if there were any new developments. That was in the 1800s so it not to much of a reach for something like this to happen in the 70s plus look at how present somalis are right now on soical media. Our presence as a people on the internet is crazy and probably not something that happened by chance. Maybe it's a somali thing 🤔

No traveller ever passes a kraal without planting spear in the ground, and demanding answers to a lengthened string of queries: rather than miss intelligence he will inquire of a woman. Thus it is that news flies through the country. Among the wild Gudabirsi the Russian war was a topic of interest, and at Harar I heard of a violent storm, which had damaged the shipping in Bombay Harbour, but a few weeks after the event. - First Footsteps in East Africa

They also got a steady stream of internal and probably some external news from the Wadaads who always travelled across Somali territories and got free lodgings with both nomadic and settled families (link). Somali families seemed to really like picking the Wadaads' brains for news, from what I gather. Always a pretty curious folk.

Somalis didn't do this because they cared about Africans or their struggles or the promotion of "pan Africanism", it was all for soft power. Siad Barre was preparing African countries and Middle Eastern countries to side with us against Ethiopia. It's the same reason we trained many African countries armies and supported the PLA in Palestine by giving them weapons and farm lands.

Even without the 77' war there would be guaranteed future conflict with Ethiopia. Ethiopia used to bomb Gaalkacyo, Beledweyn and other cities before the 1969' coup all the time for absolutely no reason. A powerful Ethiopia and powerful Somalia cannot co-exist at the same time

When you look at some strange stuff the Somali Gov used to, think of it in a geopolitical sense. A masterstroke of foreign policy at the time. I don't think any other African countries did things like this. It was similar to the strategies that Yugoslavia used

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts