So many questions.

Somali women in the 70s protested for the AA political activist, Angela Davis.

I have a lot of questions, in an age in which there wasn’t the internet and due to the distance and different locations, how come Somali women of that generation cared about American politics? Who brought it to the forefront? What motivated thousands of women thousands of miles away to come out and show solidarity? Don’t get me wrong I find it admirable to think women of our ayeeyos generations were very politically aware and knew about current issues of the world at large and actually cared.

A3BCF8DC-070E-4F87-920D-56B2DAF0CCEE.jpeg

6710237E-AF38-4ABC-A933-D96A99779919.jpeg

I wonder if anyones ayeeyo joined the protest lol. ✊🏾

Somalis were very much aware of what was going on globally I remember reading this extract about a guy who was "discovering" the horn and exploring its interior for the purposes of colonisation and he came upon a guy who was living in the badiya and this guy started speaking to him in hindi thinking he came for trade from india and even asked him which part he came from. anyways he then went on to ask him about how the crimean war was going in Europe after finding out he was white and if there were any new developments. That was in the 1800s so it not to much of a reach for something like this to happen in the 70s plus look at how present somalis are right now on soical media. Our presence as a people on the internet is crazy and probably not something that happened by chance. Maybe it's a somali thing 🤔

Last edited:

AbdiFreedom

#Pierre4PM/End Mass Immigration to 🇨🇦 #DefundUN
Staff Member
Probably a bananbax organized by a few people and got some habos to join lol.

JackieBurkhart

The years don't matter, the life in those years do
Somalis were very much aware of what was going on globally I remember reading this extract about a guy who was "discovering" the horn and exploring its interior for the purposes of colonisation and he came upon a guy who was living in the badiya and this guy started speaking to him in hindi thinking he came for trade from india and even asked him which part he came anyways he then went on and asked him about how the crimean war was going in Europe after finding out he was white and if there were any new developments. That was in the 1800s so it not to much of a reach for something like this to happen in the 70s plus look at how present somalis are right now on soical media. Our presence as a people on the internet is crazy and probably not something that happened by chance. Maybe it's a somali thing 🤔
Can you possibly find this?

Somalis were very much aware of what was going on globally I remember reading this extract about a guy who was "discovering" the horn and exploring its interior for the purposes of colonisation and he came upon a guy who was living in the badiya and this guy started speaking to him in hindi thinking he came for trade from india and even asked him which part he came from. anyways he then went on to ask him about how the crimean war was going in Europe after finding out he was white and if there were any new developments. That was in the 1800s so it not to much of a reach for something like this to happen in the 70s plus look at how present somalis are right now on soical media. Our presence as a people on the internet is crazy and probably not something that happened by chance. Maybe it's a somali thing 🤔
Can you find the source please. Very interesting indeed. I suppose by nature, we’re a group that like to be clued up on world events.

However, the story isn’t surprising as Somalis have always had foreign tradesmen come and obviously wars will impact trade supply ect, so it’s going to be a point of discussion.

I believe it was in that Richard Burton or the other guy who wrote abook on the discovery of the interior if Africa I forgot his name name but I do remember he disgusised himself as a Yemeni and went to into somalia with some somali mercs and went all the way inland to harar.
Oh, I’ve read that come, I probably forgot that bit. Btw, from what I remember the Ugaas and other leaders were very much aware that Burton wasn’t an Arab and that he was in fact European. He had to seek permission to be able to travel around. Also, everyday Somalis knew as well which is probably what contributed to his attack.

Last edited:
Oh, I’ve read that come, I probably forgot that bit. Btw, from what I remember the Ugaas and other leaders were very much aware that Burton wasn’t an Arab and that he was in fact European. He had to seek permission to be able to travel around. Also, everyday Somalis new as well which is probably what contributed to his attack.
Yeah the people knew this but this was with regards to when he came across a random guy in the badiya and he was surprised by how he knew what was going on in Europe.

I think its
First footsteps in East Africa or, An Exploration of Harar
by
Richard Burton

It was probably organized by a small but influential activist group. There are signs in English and look well designed.
I am sure they knew about international affairs, the radio networks were very popular-

Yeah the people knew this but this was with regards to when he came across a random guy in the badiya and he was surprised by how he knew what was going on in Europe.

I think its
First footsteps in East Africa or, An Exploration of Harar
by
Richard Burton
Yeah, thinking about it, it shouldn’t be shocking. Somalia has always been a trading hub in a strategic location, hence our ancestors would come across all sorts of trading men and wars that happened in Europe and ME would impact business ect.

Yes, probably organized by a small Western/UN backed group of "women's rights activists".

I don’t think this had much to do with Womens right. I think it was more race based. Angela was imprisoned for going against White America and for being part of the Black Panthers.

This was a time in which Westerners were Anti-black and being part of the Black Panthers was controversial.

If it was a standard feminist rally of some kind, I wouldn’t have asked the question as it would have been obvious that it was American influenced org.

Last edited:

Yaraye

VIP
Can anyone post a free link to completely read these books that you guy are talking about? They sound very interesting :krs:

I don’t think this had much to do with Womens right. I think it was more race based. Angela was imprisoned for going against White America and for being part of the Black Panthers.

This was a time in which Westerners were Anti-black and being part of the Black Panthers was controversial.

If it was a standard feminist rally of some kind, I wouldn’t have asked the question as it would have been obvious that it was American influenced org.

Fascinating indeed. That explains everything. I wondered why a bunch of Somalis in the 70s protested one woman. I wasn’t just questioning how they knew her, but why they’re were invested. Angela Maxaa ka galaay? Why didn’t they protest the death of Malcolm X? Or the imprisonment of other members of the Black Panthers?

Also, during that time period Said Barre had a good relationship with Soviets and Somalia was politically communist leaning. This was clearly an issue for the Americans.

Last edited:
Fascinating indeed. That explains everything. I wondered why a bunch of Somalis in the 70s protested one woman. I wasn’t just questioning how they knew her, but why they’re were invested. Angela Maxaa ka galaay? Why didn’t they protest the death of Malcolm X?

Also, during that time period Said Barre had good relationship with Soviets and Somalia was politically communist leaning.
Oh so they probably got paid to do fake activism for a photo shoot

Trending