Similarities Between Tigrinya and Arabic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amharic is heavily Agew Cushitic influenced, while Tigrinya and Tigre and closer to the old Ge’ez language which sounds very Arabic. I think Tigre in Eritrea is the most beautiful of all the horn Semitic languages and closes to Arabic. It’s the closest language to the original ge’ez.

Tigre

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
I have noticed that when Oromos are speaking Somali as beginners, they have a very heavy accent where certain sounds are not pronounced correctly like 'Xa' 'Kha' 'Ca'. I do not speak Oromo but if they are the closest language to us, how come there's no equivalent sound in their language?

I love languages tho, it's so fascinating :)

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
I have noticed that when Oromos are speaking Somali as beginners, they have a very heavy accent where certain sounds are not pronounced correctly like 'Xa' 'Kha' 'Ca'. I do not speak Oromo but if they are the closest language to us, how come there's no equivalent sound in their language?

Afars and Saho are our closest relatives, not oromos

Those sounds usually come from Arabic. It’s common amongst hararghe Oromos. For example all Oromos say Kenya for ours, we say Kheenya in hararge. Xa is also used, C or ayn is mostly used with loan Arabic words.

Last edited:

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
Those sounds usually come from arabic. Hararge Oromos use to those sounds but no other Oromos do. For example all Oromos say Kenya for ours, we say Kheenya in hararge. Xa is also used, C or ayn is mostly used with loan Arabic words.

Thanks for the info sxb, you have answered my questions :)

Those sounds are called Pharyngeals. I believe Somali is older than Oromo. Oromo lost those sounds, while Somali kept them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending