Similarities Between Arabic and Amharic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
In Galgaduud geeljires have 0 Arabic loan words. You will be surprised pure geeljire they're
Thats because reer galgaduud were reer baadiyo throughout somali history, they were not able to trade with the rest of the world like Majeerteenya for example so they had minimal contact with the outside world.

Apollo

VIP
They probably use some but either they are old Arabic or are somalisized I doubt they have zero loan words

Arabic is like the Latin of North and East Africa.

Even Swahili is full of it, but they pronounce the Arabic loanwords in a Bantu way. Swahili doesn't sound Afro-Asiatic at all.

Yeah, I know many of those Al- words. Via Spanish & Sciency terms mainly.
No, even some words which do not have al or relate to Science:

Arsenal
Assassin
Aubergine
Average
Gazelle
Giraffe
Sugar
Lemon
Safari

There are hundreds more.

I believe Amharic also has Arabic loan words , but it is harder to determine because of the Semitic relationship.

Even in Somali there are words which are of a shared afroasiatic origin and are sometimes confused with Arabic loanwords.

Example : Xaar or a similar sounding word means poo or to defecate in many Afroasiatic languages.

Adeer : has a root in ancient Afroasiatic meaning some kind of lord or over lord.

Abo/Ab for father , etc , in many Afroasiatic languages.

@Apollo I've noticed all these language/YouTube channels like geography now and langfocus avoid Somalis like the plague. Only that masaman gives a mention, and he's obsessed with Habeshis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending