Similarities Between Arabic and Amharic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muji

VIP
While Somali is classified under Cushitic, it has more loanwords from Arabic than Amharic does (a Semite language).

Yeah that’s because Somalis love booty clapping for Arabs. There were even tribes who wanted to make the national language Arabic.

Blade1

Ashy Abdi Representative
Yeah that’s because Somalis love booty clapping for Arabs. There were even tribes who wanted to make the national language Arabic.
No somalis never bootclappers for arabs before Islam we actually looked down on the them as untrustworthy and without morals in old poems.

Blade1

Ashy Abdi Representative
Both are semetic so idk how this is surprising. Common sense no. People didn't study both languages for years and classify them under the same language group for nothing.
Even if somali language borrowed some arabic words after we accepted islam. Cushitic languages came before semitic and gave birth to them so its just coming back and arabic took some of our words aswell it's the cycle of neighbouring languages

Muji

VIP
C2FF3CA1-DEDA-459B-97DD-9FEBCF1702F5.jpeg

While Somali is classified under Cushitic, it has more loanwords from Arabic than Amharic does (a Semite language).

Amharic has almost no loanwords from Arabic, but mainly shared roots.

Amharic has almost no loanwords from Arabic, but mainly shared roots.

Apollo

I think you are correct that Somali has more loan Arabic words than Amharic, though they had close contacts with Arabs and in the interior of Ethiopia, most businesses were in the hands of Arabs. Also, more Arabs migrated to Ethiopia over the centuries and created their own villages. In fact, Ethiopia's wealthiest person is an Arab man. Furthermore, many Amharic people converted to Islam. Why is this the case?

Apollo

VIP
Apollo

I think you are correct that Somali has more loan Arabic words than Amharic, though they had close contacts with Arabs and in the interior of Ethiopia, most businesses were in the hands of Arabs. Also, more Arabs migrated to Ethiopia over the centuries and created their own villages. In fact, Ethiopia's wealthiest person is an Arab man. Furthermore, many Amharic people converted to Islam. Why is this the case?

Those weren't ''Arabs'' as we know them, but pagan Yemenites who spoke South Arabian languages. Arabic, as we know it today, came from Jordan and Northwestern Saudi Arabia and spread with Islam all over the world.

Most Amharas are Orthodox Christians. They converted to Christianity early on through trade with Israel/Greece.

Those weren't ''Arabs'' as we know them, but pagan Yemenites who spoke South Arabian languages.

Apollo

I'm reading this book now, written by an Amharic academic and (you know how cautious academics are) he argues that the origin of these loan Arabic words (Egyptian, classic or South Arabian) aren't conclusively determined.

Arabic Loanwords in Ethiopian Semitic
By Wolf Leslau

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=VvkWy35Wx1AC&pg=PA1&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

(see page 2)

Both are semetic so idk how this is surprising. Common sense no. People didn't study both languages for years and classify them under the same language group for nothing.
Even if somali language borrowed some arabic words after we accepted islam. Cushitic languages came before semitic and gave birth to them so its just coming back and arabic took some of our words aswell it's the cycle of neighbouring languages

Amharas aren't "Semitic", their language is. Most Habesha are Semiticised Agews and Sidama.

I don't know how to tell you this sis
But Arabic is already the national language of Somalia along with Somali :siilaanyolaugh:

Cushtic languages didn't give birth to semetic languages that's Somali suugo science both of then diverged separately I don't understand where that myth came from

Apollo

VIP
I don't know how to tell you this sis
But Arabic is already the national language of Somalia along with Somali :siilaanyolaugh:

I don't speak Arabic at all, but when I hear Arabs speak I can often guess the topic they are talking about, :lol:

I don't speak Arabic at all, but when I hear Arabs speak I can often guess the topic they are talking about, :lol:
I've always wanted to know how much an Arab hearing somali will understand and how much will a Somali hearing Arabic understand I think there is some kind of asymmetric intelligibility where the somali understands more Arabic than the Arab understands somali due to learning Quran and some Arabic at duugsi

Apollo

VIP
I've always wanted to know how much an Arab hearing somali will understand and how much will a Somali hearing Arabic understand I think there is some kind of asymmetric intelligibility where the somali understands more Arabic than the Arab understands somali due to learning Quran and some Arabic at duugsi

High frequency words in Somali are mostly Cushitic.
Low frequency words in Somali are less Cushitic and more often loanwords.

Situation similar in English with a Germanic high frequency base and in addition French/Latin low frequency words.

High frequency words in Somali are mostly Cushitic.
Low frequency words in Somali are less Cushitic and more often loanwords.

Situation similar in English with a Germanic high frequency base and in addition French/Latin low frequency words.
Yeah but it isn't a simple as that some high frequency words like everyday words and connectives are from Arabic. :gucciwhat: how did we get that cucked by Arabic :mjlol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending