Sibling did 23andMe (Somali Kenyan)

No.

You're throughly genetically Somali. Your South Cushitic ancestor language shifted & married into the Somali nation & from there his ancestors continously married Somalis until there was no more South Cushitic blood left.

Haplogroups are used to determine migration patterns & the origins of ethnic groups & races.

Paternally he isn't Somali.

Maternal: N1
Paternal: E-M293
99.3 Somali
0.6 Sudan (5-8 Generations ago)
0.1 East Asian
99.9 Northeast African
96 Neanderthal Variants

Regions:
Banadir, Bari, Hiraan. Strongest region: Galgaduud and the area of Puntland. None of my other parents regions came up. Does greater Somalia come up on 23&me?
You're Somali. Although E-M293 is associated with the East Africans who migrated deep south, it could be very possible it's a remnant of some somali prior to the bottle neck event (not dated). We know Somalis separated 10,000 years ago and that all E1b somali males descend from one male 4,500 years ago. So it's possible somalis used to have E-M293 and it was lost. We just don't have the evidence to say anything except some guesses.

It's gonna take hundreds of ancient samples to make any sense of our history. Samples from 20k to today would be wonderful but even half the time frame would probably tell the majority of our story.

What do you mean exactly? I don't get your post. So he is not your full sibling then?
This was my sisters test so there was no paternal haplogroup only maternal so I based it on a relative that came up on my dads side. I assumed. Anything unique about this one?

Apollo

VIP
This was my sisters test so there was no paternal haplogroup only maternal so I based it on a relative that came up on my dads side. I assumed. Anything unique about this one?

That's the standard Somali lineage. Well, on 23andMe's level of depth, further down most Somalis fall under E-Y18629.

While the one in the OP, E-M293, is the South Cushitic lineage.

So did you or did you not test a paternal relative. I'm still confused.

That's the standard Somali lineage. Well, on 23andMe's level of depth, further down most Somalis fall under E-Y18629.

While the one in the OP, E-M293, is the South Cushitic lineage.

So did you or did you not test a paternal relative. I'm still confused.
Originally no (for this topic) and I went by a "close" relative that came up on 23andme for the Y because it was missing. Now yes. Get it?

Apollo

VIP
Originally no (for this topic) and I went by a "close" relative that came up on 23andme for the Y because it was missing. Now yes. Get it?

Then you mislead us into believing that was your family's paternal lineage. You cannot go by the haplogroup results of close relatives on 23andMe (unless they are your brother or father). As you can be related to people on other ways than just the abtiris direction (for example sharing a paternal great grandmother).

Then you mislead us into believing that was your family's paternal lineage. You cannot go by the haplogroup results of close relatives on 23andMe (unless they are your brother or father). As you can be related to people on other ways than just the abtiris direction (for example sharing a paternal great grandmother).
Youre right and I said this a few times and not just in this topic lol. Mislead is a strong word.

My sister did this test but a relative on my dad's side (2nd cousin) came up with this haplogroup and same clan (incorrect) so I'm assuming. What does this mean? Am I not Somali?:faysalwtf:
Also did my dad's regions not come up because she's female?
So I looked at the cousins DNA that I was basing our paternal haplogroup on and they have the Ethiopian/Eritrean vs our Sudan so your hypothesis may be correct. I'll have to find out how exactly we're related (could be maternally related to my father) and update on my paternal haplogroup if any different.

Last edited:
I am confusion. So those cushites were not the ancestors of modern day Somalis? Am I a sheegato? An assimilated Somali? War dintey. Helbe me.

There’s a sale at Family Tree DNA ydna testing ending November 28. This only looks at your paternal line. Only men pass down to their sons. So it’s from your father grandfather etc. It’ll give you a clear paternal hablo group. You can join the Somali project in there also.

https://www.familytreedna.com/products/y-dna

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts