Should Somalia’s second language be English instead of Arabic?

Should it be English?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tukraq

VIP
And explain why
I can see it being so in the future, most somalis don't even know arabic lol just how read and recite Quran, English and Swahili would In my estimation be the second and third most spoken languages by malis tbh, English being the second most spoken should be the second language

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
No. By having Arabic as our second language we still remain in the Arab League and are able to reap the benefits of the organization. What do we gain by making English our second language?

No English

No Arabic

Somali should be the sole official language of our Country, it should also be the only language of business and education.

Apollo

VIP
I can see it being so in the future, most somalis don't even know arabic lol just how read and recite Quran, English and Swahili would In my estimation be the second and third most spoken languages by malis tbh, English being the second most spoken should be the second language

There are more Somalis in Ethiopia than in Kenya. 6.5 million in Ethiopia and 3 million in Kenya. But since K5'er are generally less educated ..not sure if Amharic is more common than Swahili. Anyhow, both foreign languages.

Tukraq

VIP
There are more Somalis in Ethiopia than in Kenya. 6.5 million in Ethiopia and 3 million in Kenya. But since K5'er are generally less educated ..not sure if Amharic is more common than Swahili. Anyhow, both foreign languages.
yeah somalis in Ethiopia speak somali and don't live in the other regions, intact most Ethiopians don't speak Amharic as Oromo is the most common language and Kenya isn't the only Swahili speaking country we reside in, also its supposed to be a foreign language, its the second language

Apollo

VIP
No. By having Arabic as our second language we still remain in the Arab League and are able to reap the benefits of the organization. What do we gain by making English our second language?

There is a small correlation between English proficiency in a country and a higher GDP per capita.

But the more your population knows English, the more SJW/globalist they become as they will consume more American media. :farmajoyaab:

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
There is a small correlation between English proficiency in a country and a higher GDP per capita.

But the more your population knows English, the more SJW/globalist they become as they will consume more American media. :farmajoyaab:

My mother told me that Siad Barre forbade teaching foreign languages in schools out of fear that Somalis would leave the country and never come back. I think that's a legitimate concern; for instance, Maghrebi countries love teaching French to all their citizens and surprise surprise, they've been going through a brain drain ever since their independence.

Somali first, preserve the language and adapt it to the modern age. Why would we have English as a second language? No thank you, I can see why Arabic though but tbh it should be less focus on Arabic as well but it should stay.

We need something similar to Académie française in France to preserve the language.
banner.jpg

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
easier and better trade relations with English speaking nations

Yes, but what would make you think that they want to trade with us just because our second language was changed to English? Is there any Anglophone League that exists that I'm not aware of?

Tukraq

VIP
Yes, but what would make you think that they want to trade with us just because our second language was changed to English? Is there any Anglophone League that exists that I'm not aware of?
our biggest trade potential is with the somali diaspora in anglophone countries, they can demand that thats the products they want and as globalization furthers thats what they will get, eventually these companies will catch on with the locals in places like Minnesota and keep expanding due to the somali stronghold

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
our biggest trade potential is with the somali diaspora in anglophone countries, they can demand that thats the products they want and as globalization furthers thats what they will get, eventually these companies will catch on with the locals in places like Minnesota and keep expanding due to the somali stronghold

How much can we even profit from the diaspora? A couple of million? A generous couple of tens of millions? That's not enough to sustain an economy, akhi, even with a country as poor as Somalia. The Western diaspora are worthwhile as an educated elite but it's delusional to think that they can hold the entirety of Somalia's economy on their shoulders.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
@Tukraq Also, Somalia makes $25.1 million dollars from insect resins. So are we going to make the Western disapora buy $25.1 million dollars worth of insect resins? Did you think this through, walaal? :stopit:

Status
Not open for further replies.