GENETICS Should I get an ancestry DNA test? Will it just tell me I’m 99% Somali :/

Shorty you ain't true to yo' word. Why is you still here? Nacalaa... but yes, it's normal for some ethnic groups but Somalis are a particularly homogenous group. You only get a few outliers and even then it's mostly trace amounts and nothing significant. The most common non-"Somali" is something in the direction of Xabashis which may as well be irrelevant as if you run more fine-tuned runs (like Global25) with your raw data than 23andme you'll notice all Somalis have some amount of that stuff (even the ones appearing as 100% Somali on 23andme with the new update). Somalis also do have high IBD sharing. As an example, I'm mainly from the northeast yet I have relatives from Harar to Jabuuti to NFD from qabiils completely different from my own and this sort of thing is not irregular.

But I would hesitate to use the word "inbred". That implies some sort of pathology and that all Somalis are "related" within the last couple of hundred years (like cousins) which isn't true. My own parents are from around the same region and are not relatives on 23andme, for example. We're just very homogenous and a fair number of us share segments and some recent ancestry but "inbred" wouldn't be the word for that. We have more than enough genetic diversity for us to be fine, especially with our current numbers, with endogamy for many, many, many generations to come.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

A lot of other ethnic groups can be fairly homogenous genetically but in many cases they're really just several different historical peoples who got language shifted a certain way. Germans for example are a wide amalgamation of Germanic, Slavic and Celtic peoples who got language shifted into Low and High German. You'll notice a spread out cluster with them on a regional level. Eastern Germans will have a pull toward Poles or overlap with them whereas Western Germans will have a pull toward the French and maybe overlap with them and so on and so forth.

Somalis are somewhat more homogenous than this in that from Galbeed to Koonfur to Woqooyi, unless there's some recent (rare) outside admixture that is normally known in the family, there isn't some sort of gradient. We cluster very tightly. That plus the shared mtDNA diversity, the fact that we often form our own ADMIXTURE component (shows a lot of shared genetic drift and that there likely was some sort of bottleneck population formation like with Askhenazi and Sephardi Jews) implies we really do have a common origin and are probably not like groups like Oromos and Germans who are an amalgamation of differing, though closely related, groups who got language and culture shifted.

And you'd still be 100% "Somali" in those other runs, walaashay. It's just that those more fine-tuned runs using raw data can suss out admixture in ALL Somalis which usually tends to be something leaning toward Xabashis or very minorly Yemenis. And unless the non-Somali percentages on 23andme are significant (+1-5%) I'm usually always skeptical until I run the person's raw data myself.

@Shimbiris can you answer the questions please
This young lady said "Stop goofing around elsewhere and come answer me!"

:damn:

A lot of other ethnic groups can be fairly homogenous genetically but in many cases they're really just several different historical peoples who got language shifted a certain way. Germans for example are a wide amalgamation of Germanic, Slavic and Celtic peoples who got language shifted into Low and High German. You'll notice a spread out cluster with them on a regional level. Eastern Germans will have a pull toward Poles or overlap with them whereas Western Germans will have a pull toward the French and maybe overlap with them and so on and so forth.

Somalis are somewhat more homogenous than this in that from Galbeed to Koonfur to Woqooyi, unless there's some recent (rare) outside admixture that is normally known in the family, there isn't some sort of gradient. We cluster very tightly. That plus the shared mtDNA diversity, the fact that we often form our own ADMIXTURE component (shows a lot of shared genetic drift and that there likely was some sort of bottleneck population formation like with Askhenazi and Sephardi Jews) implies we really do have a common origin and are probably not like groups like Oromos and Germans who are an amalgamation of differing, though closely related, groups who got language and culture shifted.

And you'd still be 100% "Somali" in those other runs, walaashay. It's just that those more fine-tuned runs using raw data can suss out admixture in ALL Somalis which usually tends to be something leaning toward Xabashis or very minorly Yemenis. And unless the non-Somali percentages on 23andme are significant (+1-5%) I'm usually always skeptical until I run the person's raw data myself.

This young lady said "Stop goofing around elsewhere and come answer me!"

:damn:
Thanks for the response , I still don’t believe that habaryar is 100% Somali lol , basically many ethnicities are social constructions .

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Thanks for the response , I still don’t believe that habaryar is 100% Somali lol , basically many ethnicities are social constructions .
To be honest, if 23andme says she's 100% then it's unlikely she isn't. It's more suspect when it shows trace amounts of non-Somali that the person is actually admixed but the likelihood of being anything other than minorly Xabashi leaning the way most of us honestly are after getting 100% Somali is very low. She's definitely a generic Geeljirina with that score, lightskin Bantu features aside.

:pachah1:

I ordered a kit in September 2021 and still haven't gotten it :(
I waited for 3 month to get it finally to the extraction phase. Then it failed. I just asked for my money back. They usually only give you money back on the second attempt but apparently they gave me an exception.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
That person was just being an idiot. It's not unusual to be 100% Somali at all and doesn't remotely imply inbreeding (Marriage endogamy within an ethnic group? Yes). Saqajaan dumb ass. Probably some cadaan fool who's butthurt he didn't turn out fully cadaan.

B6NHOHg.png

To be honest, if 23andme says she's 100% then it's unlikely she isn't. It's more suspect when it shows trace amounts of non-Somali that the person is actually admixed but the likelihood of being anything other than minorly Xabashi leaning the way most of us honestly are after getting 100% Somali is very low. She's definitely a generic Geeljirina with that score, lightskin Bantu features aside.

:pachah1:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hooyo has some explaining to do. And how much does that aunty show? The Bantu coming with Arab implies she's part Cadcad. There are some occassional reer Koonfur who show minor "Bantu" but it's usually with some Desi and Arab percentages which sorta tells you they clearly mixed with cadcads and not reer madoweyne. Somalis are generally more open to intermarrying with reer Gibil Cad.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hooyo has some explaining to do. And how much does that aunty show? The Bantu coming with Arab implies she's part Cadcad. There are some occassional reer Koonfur who show minor "Bantu" but it's usually with some Desi and Arab percentages which sorta tells you they clearly mixed with cadcads and not reer madoweyne. Somalis are generally more open to intermarrying with reer Gibil Cad.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Yeah, what I'm reading is that she is a "pure" Somali and her half sister probably has a mother who's part cadcad. Rare but not unheard of. Though even that maybe suspect until I see her raw data. Somalis really overdo it with reer Koonfur. Anyone with slightly overly "madow" looks is assumed to be part Bantu cos Bantus are living nearby when you can find the exact same looks in Galbeed, Woqooyi Bari and Woqooyi Galbeed but there you'd not think anything of it cos where are the Bantus outside of a few workers there nowadays?

Yeah, what I'm reading is that she is a "pure" Somali and her half sister probably has a mother who's part cadcad. Rare but not unheard of. Though even that maybe suspect until I see her raw data. Somalis really overdo it with reer Koonfur. Anyone with slightly overly "madow" looks is assumed to be part Bantu cos Bantus are living nearby when you can find the exact same looks in Galbeed, Woqooyi Bari and Woqooyi Galbeed but there you'd not think any of it cos where are the Bantus outside of a few workers there nowadays?

tbh I shall accept the 23and me dna of the habaryar
For now
the company might do an update lol

@ImanStan001

Many ethnicities follow discriminatory endogamous mating strategy limited to socio-cultural/religious and lineage-based segregated group bias and does not need to be an inbred thing, i.e., high distribution of long-stretches of RoH (a way to estimate inbreeding). In-group exogamy, markedly clan, (inter-clan horizontal sub-clan marriages as well), is generally safe when the breeding population size is large.

You know, I will be honest. This is a topic I don't care to expand upon as it enters wide explanatory demand. From what I gather, you're right in some respects, and also wrong. We'd need to go into the many definitions of ethnicity, etc. Take the Germans, as an example. In the grand scheme of things, the German identity is modern. The geographic genetic gradient that historically housed diversity of identifiable tribes is today a nationalized concept, blurring, eventually erasing abstract identity lines for a centralized cross-regional unity.

Europeans got an extensive database of samples that provides power to distinguish to an extent. In contrast, Somalis are homogenous, relatively speaking. If 23andMe says 100% Somali, they're overwhelmingly similar to the rest of Somalis, irrespective of a hypothetical small percentage admixture level.

Furthermore, Bantu DNA usually sticks out. Ethiopian DNA sometimes can hide within the Somali DNA in 23andMe, as they scaled the system for the Somali signature after updates, the effect of an algorithmic allocation process. An individual cannot score 100% on that test and be highly mixed, and the score always has a small margin for error. I don't know if guaranteeing complete 100% is possible or a valid scientific expectation when transcribing to these categorical registers in relation to macro-biological patterns to the individual measured with these statistical tools.

But then we have to remember, 23andMe is a commercial entity selling a digestible service, not supposed to be a purely research-based overcomplicated expert platform. Though they also carry out research and leverage the data aggregation from the sample engagement to synthesize valuable precision/tailored medicine research, although another topic.