Should I get an ancestry DNA test? Will it just tell me I’m 99% Somali :/

Apparently 23andMe is better for Somalis, don't bother if you're from the UK though, their service is horrible, it's been over a month and my kit still hasn't arrived at their lab.

Tbh I do think the same as you, there's not really much of a point if it's just gonna say 100% Somali so upto you if you feel like it's worth it, I'm interested in the relatives bit and I'll upload it to MyHeritage for more matches.

Get a Nabula whole genome sequencing it's around £200 it will tell you your paternal, maternal haplogroups, and you could upload your results onto YFULL also it will give you health report.

It would be interesting but idk
It depends on what you’d like to learn. Sometimes people do it for the fun of it and to see who all comes up for them, the regions your family comes from etc. It can raise a sense of Somali and African pride while showing how interconnected the human race is. The biggest shock for me was that most Somalis share a similar male line almost 80%. 23andMe is good for a general autosomal overview. While ydna testing looks at yours father line etc. There are many options.

It depends on what you’d like to learn. Sometimes people do it for the fun of it and to see who all comes up for them, the regions your family comes from etc. It can raise a sense of Somali and African pride while showing how interconnected the human race is. The biggest shock for me was that most Somalis share a similar male line almost 80%. 23andMe is good for a general autosomal overview. While ydna testing looks at yours father line etc. There are many options.
Well said

Apparently 23andMe is better for Somalis, don't bother if you're from the UK though, their service is horrible, it's been over a month and my kit still hasn't arrived at their lab.

Tbh I do think the same as you, there's not really much of a point if it's just gonna say 100% Somali so upto you if you feel like it's worth it, I'm interested in the relatives bit and I'll upload it to MyHeritage for more matches.
23andMe is an absolute garbage company, it’s been nearly 2 months and my kit still hasn’t arrived at their lab, this isnt even some high end dna sampling company for it to take this long, should’ve never listened to you guys about this shit company, I want a refund now and they’re being annoying about that too and want to send me a “replacement kit”, what a fucking waste of money.

UK people, stay away from this trash, they don’t give a shit about us.

Worst experience with a company ever.

I should’ve just went with that expensive Ydna thing you guys talk about, at least that would be worth the long wait 😒

23andMe is an absolute garbage company, it’s been nearly 2 months and my kit still hasn’t arrived at their lab, this isnt even some high end dna sampling company for it to take this long, should’ve never listened to you guys about this shit company, I want a refund now and they’re being annoying about that too and want to send me a “replacement kit”, what a fucking waste of money.

UK people, stay away from this trash, they don’t give a shit about us.

Worst experience with a company ever.

I should’ve just went with that expensive Ydna thing you guys talk about, at least that would be worth the long wait 😒
We’ve order lots of 23andme kits never had an issue. I would get a new kit instead of losing your money too. Sorry for the bad experience.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Shorty you ain't true to yo' word. Why is you still here? Nacalaa... but yes, it's normal for some ethnic groups but Somalis are a particularly homogenous group. You only get a few outliers and even then it's mostly trace amounts and nothing significant. The most common non-"Somali" is something in the direction of Xabashis which may as well be irrelevant as if you run more fine-tuned runs (like Global25) with your raw data than 23andme you'll notice all Somalis have some amount of that stuff (even the ones appearing as 100% Somali on 23andme with the new update). Somalis also do have high IBD sharing. As an example, I'm mainly from the northeast yet I have relatives from Harar to Jabuuti to NFD from qabiils completely different from my own and this sort of thing is not irregular.

But I would hesitate to use the word "inbred". That implies some sort of pathology and that all Somalis are "related" within the last couple of hundred years (like cousins) which isn't true. My own parents are from around the same region and are not relatives on 23andme, for example. We're just very homogenous and a fair number of us share segments and some recent ancestry but "inbred" wouldn't be the word for that. We have more than enough genetic diversity for us to be fine, especially with our current numbers, with endogamy for many, many, many generations to come.

I ordered one but then i read they will give your DNA to the askar and your future children may be denied insurance coverage if you have a pre-existing condition so i returned it.

We’ve order lots of 23andme kits never had an issue. I would get a new kit instead of losing your money too. Sorry for the bad experience.
Thanks, I’m just gonna wait it out for now, starting the whole process again just makes it longer and there is no guarantee the second time will be any better.

You sent yours from the UK?

Trending