She thought she was 100% Somali, but she has a grand parent that is Yemen

Cerberus

I started my own security company Cerberus.
VIP

yemen.PNG

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
She looks like any one of my cousins, honestly. I have some 50% Yemeni cousins and about half of them came out looking pretty passably Geeljire, some even typical. Kinda explains why Habeshas still look so Horner with like 1/4th ancient Yemeni. Though it seems even Somalis have some of that at a rate of 5% at least.

Cerberus

VIP
She looks like any one of my cousins, honestly. I have some 50% Yemeni cousins and about half of them came out looking pretty passably Geeljire, some even typical. Kinda explains why Habeshas still look so Horner with like 1/4th ancient Yemeni. Though it seems even Somalis have some of that at a rate of 5% at least.
Maybe the child takes on the mothers looks more so if the mother is Horner or Habasha and father is Yemeni, Child will look more like mother

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Maybe the child takes on the mothers looks more so if the mother is Horner or Habasha and father is Yemeni, Child will look more like mother

Those cousins were half Yemeni-Somali on the mother's side. Their mom is, from what I gather, a descendant of Yemeni traders who settled in Bosaso ages ago and pretty much became Somalized. She doesn't even know one word of Arabic but looks full on Arabian in looks. Some of her kids look clearly something in the middle. Not Somali, not Yemeni. But the ones who swing in a certain direction oddly always looked Somali. Two look typical.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
The somali-yemeni mix/ somalis with some yemeni heritage is hella common icl

Not really, sis. The vast majority of Somalis who get tested turn up bereft of such admixture. To be honest, the most common admixture in Somalis tends to be Highland Ethiopian of some kind in my experience. Elevated Mota or ancient Yemeni that can show up as the person being part Oromo or Habesha in various calcs. She's definitely a rarity outside of some of the minority coastal communities.

I don't mean as if Somalis come from Yemeni, or have an admixture or anything like that. I just meant that half somali half yemenis are common. a girl in my college was half and half and another one too. @Shimbiris

She looks middle eastern.

Apollo

VIP
I think some Somalis on /r/23andMe troll for clout/responses by lying about not knowing their ancestry. A few days ago some "Rwandan" claimed he was surprised being full Somali. So I am a bit skeptical.

Cerberus

VIP
This person probable had the same reaction as me, some thought i was trolling :ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa:. Thanks to this post, i found that some somalis dont know of their recent admixture.
My own cousin looks light skin as heck arab as heck betcha he had distant Arab

Cerberus

VIP
This person probable had the same reaction as me, some thought i was trolling :ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa:. Thanks to this post, i found that some somalis dont know of their recent admixture.
So you got some Levantine too?

My own cousin looks light skin as heck arab as heck betcha he had distant Arab

Only my brother and my two sisters are either mistaken for barwani or yemani. I look like any other somali person, one of my other brother looks like the dark black hawk down somali pirates while the other looks yemani, and me brown skin typical somali. I use to ask myself how on earth are we all brothers :ftw9nwa:. My sisters are arab looking, none of us look like each other, when i did 23andme, things turn out to be interesting. So i suggest your cousins to do a 23andMe and see what comes up.

Cerberus

VIP
i got 15.6% Western Asian and North African and 1.1% central and south asian.
You lightskin looking? Do you have 23andme raw dna file? I do research and would love to analyze it. Do you have Promethease?

You lightskin looking? Do you have 23andme raw dna file? I do research and would love to analyze it. Do you have Promethease?

No i am not lightskin not dark either, i am light brown skin if you understand, basically typical somali. One of my brother and my two of my sisters are extremely light skin that they are mistaken for yemani, my other brother is dark skin.

What research are you doing? And i have never heard of promethease!

Cerberus

VIP
No i am not lightskin not dark either, i am light brown skin if you understand, basically typical somali. One of my brother and my two of my sisters are extremely light skin that they are mistaken for yemani, my other brother is dark skin.

What research are you doing? And i have never heard of promethease!
Promethease.com is place where you can run your raw dna to check deeper into your dna health. I am 100% Somali and got a very rare two of rs9264942(C;C) which is very rare for An African. Other Somalis i've run across have 1 of it. So wanted to know if you got it too.

Promethease.com is place where you can run your raw dna to check deeper into your dna health. I am 100% Somali and got a very rare two of rs9264942(C;C) which is very rare for An African. Other Somalis i've run across have 1 of it. So wanted to know if you got it too.
I will have a look at it.

Som

VIP
Light skin has nothing to do with ancestry when it comes to most somalis.
I have dark relatives and very light skinned relatives and they are all likely pure geeljire.
Even in some families you can see a brother who is light skinned and another who is dark. It doesn't mean that the light skinned one has a different ancestry

Trending

Latest posts