Schools in Hargeisa, Somalia are more liberal than those in the west

IstarZ

A mere finger can’t obscure the sun.
Yh but back home is completely different. People who never set their foot in Somalia before assume just because they wear those long jilbaabs they are conservative little do they know. :lol: Jilbaab in Somalia for the most part is culturally enforced rather than religion (apart from the Al shabab ruled areas).

Most ppl are aware of that. They wear it to avoid harassment by creepy men.

Those girls are sitting and clapping to an innocent song and to you that’s liberal?

Bohol

VIP
Most ppl are aware of that. They wear it to avoid harassment by creepy men.

Those girls are sitting and clapping to an innocent song and to you that’s liberal?

In Somalia standards it is. I have never seen music and dancing in a classroom in Somalia before of all places (both males & females), did you?

:mjpls:

IstarZ

In Somali standards it is. I have never seen music and dancing in a classroom in Somalia before of all places, did you?

Singing was acceptable. It only became abnormal when al shaydaan came along.

Bohol

VIP
Singing was acceptable. It only became abnormal when al shaydaan came along.

It was never the norm since the 90s without or with Al shabab. However if we go back to the 80s & 70s then yh as Somalia was more liberal back then in both conduct and clothing.

IstarZ

It was never the norm since the 90s without or with Al shabab. However if we go back to the 80s & 70s then yh as Somalia was more liberal back then in both conduct and clothing.

Do you imagine they’d be singing amidst a civil war?

It was only in 2006 with the Islamic Courts it became more conservative.

Parts of Somalia has always been stricter - miyiga and northern parts.

Bohol

VIP
Do you imagine they’d be singing amidst a civil war?

It was only in 2006 with the Islamic Courts it became more conservative.

Parts of Somalia has always been stricter - miyiga and northern parts.

South Somalia is not = Somalia. Music concerts and mixing of genders is actually restricted in Burco, Hargeisa is more liberal though.

IstarZ

South Somalia is not = Somalia. Music concerts and mixing of genders is actually banned in Burco, Hargeisa is more liberal though.

I mentioned northern parts for a reason. Hargeisa is the capital city they tend to be more cosmopolitan.

I do agree. It does seem pretty innocent to me.

In Somalia standards it is. I have never seen music and dancing in a classroom in Somalia before of all places (both males & females), did you?

I didn't realize it was a mixed gathering, I thought it was just girls. I do think it would be better if it wasn't done in a mixed gathering.

Chanting in knee length jilbab in an all woman classroom is liberal? Wallahi Somalis are natural extremists.

It’s an eyesore what Somalis have become.
Have become? What exactly do you mean? Please elaborate on this.

Since its a all female enviroment, i don't think the girls should be wearing big jilbaab. It is a little uncomfortable in a class room setting.

I used to work in the khaleej, in an conservative area, even then the girls wore a long skirt and top. They wore abayas when leaving the premises.

In an all girl environment, I don't see anything wrong with the girls letting lose in a light hearted song and dance.

The Jilbaab has now become a cultural attire and the country itself leaning more towards conservatism, certainly in the dress department for women.

Trending

Latest posts