#SayNoToHBO - Somalis on Twitter take aim at K'naan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Well, I don't know how you come up with me crossing wires, but as I've said in my previous post, I was referring to the videos of the Somalis protesting right in front of K'naan and their own words and slogans. Are you talking about something else, like from another interview where he says the show is for Somalis, by Somalis? If that's the case, then I haven't seen that.

Here is also an interview of his after that incident by Minnesota Somali TV, and I haven't heard him alluding to the idea that the show is by Somalis:

Okay, let's try this again. The protest wasn't about K'naan the person, but his involvement with this show. Their issue is with the narrative of the show. There is no "idea" that the show is by Somalis, that's exactly how K'naan presents it. He says he controls the narrative, he is the director, was doing the casting, is the writer, has exec producer credits..shit, he even said it was his idea and that he was the one who brought the show to the HBO. Back in December 2015, when news first broke about HBO's interest in the show, the working title of the show was "The Recruiters" and sources in Hollywood said it was about jihadi recruitment. They highlighted the involvement of Kathryn Bigelow ( Google her to see her work. She excels at this genre).

When K'naan first started auditions, he was very secretive about the show but he asked SPECIFICALLY for Somali actors. Here is one of the flyers:

He had similar auditions in Minneapolis, Columbus and San Diego where he was only looking for Somali actors. Hundreds of people showed up. After all of that, a Somali doesn't even get the lead role. :mindblown:

He says people should trust him and see the first episode before reacting but trust is earned. He didn't earn their trust by being so secretive to begin with, he didn't earn their trust by having a notorious Islamophobe not only co-sign the show but also have executive producer credits ( she will have shared control over the content aka the narrative), and he sure as hell didn't earn their trust by casting Ethiopians and other yamyam to play the lead roles. The protestors were right to be upset and they have a right to continue until this show is tossed. #shutitdown:mjpls:

Okay, let's try this again. The protest wasn't about K'naan the person, but his involvement with this show. Their issue is with the narrative of the show. There is no "idea" that the show is by Somalis, that's exactly how K'naan presents it. He says he controls the narrative, he is the director, was doing the casting, is the writer, has exec producer credits..shit, he even said it was his idea and that he was the one who brought the show to the HBO. Back in December 2015, when news first broke about HBO's interest in the show, the working title of the show was "The Recruiters" and sources in Hollywood said it was about jihadi recruitment. They highlighted the involvement of Kathryn Bigelow ( Google her to see her work. She excels at this genre).

When K'naan first started auditions, he was very secretive about the show but he asked SPECIFICALLY for Somali actors. Here is one of the flyers:

He had similar auditions in Minneapolis, Columbus and San Diego where he was only looking for Somali actors. Hundreds of people showed up. After all of that, a Somali doesn't even get the lead role. :mindblown:

He says people should trust him and see the first episode before reacting but trust is earned. He didn't earn their trust by being so secretive to begin with, he didn't earn their trust by having a notorious Islamophobe not only co-sign the show but also have executive producer credits ( she will have shared control over the content aka the narrative), and he sure as hell didn't earn their trust by casting Ethiopians and other yamyam to play the lead roles. The protestors were right to be upset and they have a right to continue until this show is tossed. #shutitdown:mjpls:

I see. Thanks for the 411, though I am still unconvinced that you're willing to see this project die just because K'naan didn't cast a Somali actor in the lead role, thanks to your hashtag and MJ emoji. lol

Anyway, you're right about his initial announcements of wanting to make the lead actor Somali, and casing other Somalis for other roles (saw a Rolling Stone article about it right now), but who knows why that has changed? Could be for many reasons. And I don't think, judging the chants those demonstrating Faaraxs and Xaliimos were making, that they were concerned about acting roles.

Anyway, I ain't a 'Murican, nor am I gonna benefit from this project so good luck to you, North American Maryooleys.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
SS, personally, I don't care. I just live for drama sxb. I thought you would know that by now. :ftw9nwa:

But I still support their right to protest and I support the other side as well ( some of his defenders in Minnesota are good friends of mine :mjpls:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending