#SayNoToHBO - Somalis on Twitter take aim at K'naan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question, to open the eyes of the people and give them a new perspective

Which is going to/is more "damaging" to the Somali image? A HBO drama about a Somali family, or Captain Phillips? Don't take this as an insult, just think about it for a minute. Anyways think Captain Phillips was a good movie, enjoyed it.

Best of luck to K'naan and hope Barkhad can continue his little streak and get better roles as time goes

Apollo

VIP
American television frequently casts Hispanics and Indians as Arabs. And I have seen pale Europeans play Egyptians. They don't seem to give a f*ck about racial accuracy.

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
Man, I had no problem with the show to begin with. But, the lead actors aren't Somali? Maybe there weren't qualified Somali actors for the show? I mean this is HBO and the quality has to be good. But, if the reason the show doesn't have lead Somali actors is because of quality, then I don't see the outrage.

Genuine question, to open the eyes of the people and give them a new perspective

Which is going to/is more "damaging" to the Somali image? A HBO drama about a Somali family, or Captain Phillips? Don't take this as an insult, just think about it for a minute. Anyways think Captain Phillips was a good movie, enjoyed it.

Best of luck to K'naan and hope Barkhad can continue his little streak and get better roles as time goes
so you'd rather be labeled a terrorist instead of a pirate? how about a show showing something POSTIVE about us? that won't happen though, since everyone is busy taking advantage us. including a fellow somali xoolo named kana'an. i don't understand how even the most qabilist individuals could defend this. y'all are comapinrg something bad to something worse. captain philips didn't have a relevant somali "hero" endorsing it. this shit show does.

Tramo

Nine kitaabs on a bookshelf

why does captain philips keep getting brought up? what does it have to do with this show? i mean i know the answer, but still

even ignoring that, thats a juvenile ass argument. "they did it too...and it's not even as bad". if someone urinated all over ur house, how would u feel if someone was like "genuine question, which is worse. someone taking a dump all over ur house, or someone taking a piss?"

:stopit:

why does captain philips keep getting brought up? what does it have to do with this show? i mean i know the answer, but still

even ignoring that, thats a juvenile ass argument. "they did it too...and it's not even as bad". if someone urinated all over ur house, how would u feel if someone was like "genuine question, which is worse. someone taking a dump all over ur house, or someone taking a piss?"

:stopit:
The question was for perspective, chill

And I trust K'naan has a reason, or was forced by other executives when it comes to who to cast. Thats as far a qabilist I'll be:manny:

Remember that alot in the movie and tv biz is run by executives on one mission, making money. So maybe they included some african americans and others to give the tv show a wider appeal, which correlates directly with more viewers. But instead of thinking of that plausebility, everybody are acting like Knaan runs HBO and has all the control.

The question was for perspective, chill

And I trust K'naan has a reason, or was forced by other executives when it comes to who to cast. Thats as far a qabilist I'll be:manny:

Remember that alot in the movie and tv biz is run by executives on one mission, making money. So maybe they included some african americans and others to give the tv show a wider appeal, which correlates directly with more viewers. But instead of thinking of that plausebility, everybody are acting like Knaan runs HBO and has all the control.
ajanabies can do whatever they want. but kanaaan who is relevant not only endorsed it but participated in it? how are you ignoring it?

ajanabies can do whatever they want. but kanaaan who is relevant not only endorsed it but participated in it? how are you ignoring it?
Well you need a somali person to help you direct a show about a somali family. Not like they can make a black family sitcom and call it a "somali drama"

Would you rather want a cadaan misrepresenting our culture?

Weren't they protesting and accusing him all kinds of things just few of weeks ago? And now they're upset that he didn't cast Somalis as actors? Can Somalis ever make up their minds on anything? :wtfdis:

brakenclaw

Stay real in the everything fake era
so you'd rather be labeled a terrorist instead of a pirate? how about a show showing something POSTIVE about us? that won't happen though, since everyone is busy taking advantage us. including a fellow somali xoolo named kana'an. i don't understand how even the most qabilist individuals could defend this. y'all are comapinrg something bad to something worse. captain philips didn't have a relevant somali "hero" endorsing it. this shit show does.
it hasn't even been filmed yet.... dont judge :stopit:

Is this TV show about terrorists now??:mindblown: Why would this show make me a terrorist??

This is a family drama HBO show, about a Somali family. f*ck you want a white TV executive to direct a show about a Somali family?

I don't understand your goal. You're outraged about everythin, but then again atleast that's a sign you've assimilated into American culture & society

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Weren't they protesting and accusing him all kinds of things just few of weeks ago? And now they're upset that he didn't cast Somalis as actors? Can Somalis ever make up their minds on anything? :wtfdis:

They were protesting because they knew he was being used as a proxy by islamophobes like Kathryn Bigelow. He lied and said he had control of the narrative. It's now apparent he doesn't even have control over the casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending