Russia-Ukraine War

@Nilotic apparently Germany is now claiming they can stop relying on Russian gas in around 2 years, which is much faster than I expected.

I thought they would be able to reduce it significantly in that time but not get rid of it.

That's genuinely surprising. The German experts I followed estimated that it would take at least 3 years before Germany could extricate itself from Russia.

Gas was always going to be harder to replace than oil; the Russians make far more money from oil and that was the first thing to be targeted by the EU.

The Russians make over $700 million Euros per day from selling gas to the EU, so it will have to find alternative markets otherwise it's done.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
That's genuinely surprising. The German experts I followed estimated that it would take at least 3 years before Germany could extricate itself from Russia.

Gas was always going to be harder to replace than oil; the Russians make far more money from oil and that was the first thing to be targeted by the EU.

The Russians make over $700 million Euros per day from selling gas to the EU, so it will have to find alternative markets otherwise it's done.

Before Russia invaded Ukraine, Russian gas made up 53% of German gas imports.

Now it’s at 35% and decreasing.

With the recent investment in LNG stations as well as the current tour by German dignitaries to gas producing nations, expect a shock.

If Germany, which is the most reliant on Russian gas, can do this quickly, imagine the rest.

4cryingoutloud

Puntland republic 🇸🇱
72422615-873C-48A6-9D66-28101BA844E4.jpeg

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Turns out the owner of Mobilism is Ukrainian:

Many of you don't know this since it's not relevant to the functioning of Mobilism, but I am Ukrainian. Mobilism also has Ukrainian servers (among others), Ukrainian coders, and is obviously home to many of my fellow compatriots. You're all currently using a Ukrainian site.

Ukraine has been invaded by a country that feels no remorse for dead civilians or human suffering, and is beholden to the whims of a tyrant and his pursuit of imperial glory. We are fighting valiantly and will continue doing so. We will not give up an inch of Ukrainian soil without a fight. We will stand as Europe's shield against the land that for the past ten years we've referred to as Mordor.

To clear up misconceptions:
Russia claims that they are not targeting civilians: so far, Russian shelling and bombing have hit hospitals, ambulances, kindergartens, universities, and tens of thousands of homes; a Russian tank drove over a car with the driver (an elderly civilian) still inside. So, if they are claiming they only target the military, then either their aim is even worse than we thought, or they are blatantly lying, like they have lied for weeks about their intentions for Ukraine.

Putin claims Ukrainians are Nazis and his goal is to de-nazify Ukraine (this is a direct quote). Ukraine is the only country in Europe whose head of state is Jewish (elected with 73% of the vote). In the last election, a coalition of all far-right parties won 2.15% of the popular vote, and since that didn't meet the threshold of 5% failed to gain any parliamentary seats. What's more, I'm Jewish, as are my wife and many of our Ukrainian friends. One of the bomb shelters a part of my family is using is a gay club in downtown Kyiv. Trust me: the only likeness Ukrainians have to Nazis is that we are now at war with Russians.

Putin claims Ukrainians and the West forced him to "defend Russia". Ukraine has never threatened Russia militarily. The only way it threatened Russia is by showing that it can thrive without it as a democracy. And why is this "defense" happening on our land? Russia's claims that they are somehow provoked into attacking us is akin to this: a wife left her abusive alcoholic ex, took the children, and issued a restraining order- so he killed her cat, trashed her car, and now showed up in her new home with a gun, all while blaming this on her and the police.

"Current sanctions are enough:" In 2008, Russia annexed a piece of Georgia. The international community offered sanctions and a slap on the wrist. In 2014, Russia annexed Crimea and started a bloody conflict in the east of Ukraine which had been claiming our lives for 8 years now. More sanctions followed. After Russia's total invasion of Ukraine the West implemented its most severe sanctions. And yet, they do not deter Russia from continuing the war. We're not looking for NATO to bring in troops, we'll do the fighting for our own country. Thank you to all the countries that are providing us with lethal aid and defensive equipment. We will use it for as long as we are able.

It's a forum people go to in order to acquire books online (piracy) that they can't find via resources like Library Genesis. Some of the folks on there seem pretty resourceful. Probably have access to some killer University databases. What is it with former Soviet Union types and making sites like this? Sci-hub was made by a woman from Kazakhstan, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
D

If the russians would launch a campaign in Bosnia, helping the serbs, I think that these Kadirovites (I say kadirovites, not chechens because not all Chechens support kadirov and his puppetrule under moscow) would fight against Bosniaks (Muslims) without blinking an eye.

They are radicalized to serve putin to that extent that they would turn weapons on other Muslims. That is my assesssment.

D

If the russians would launch a campaign in Bosnia, helping the serbs, I think that these Kadirovites (I say kadirovites, not chechens because not all Chechens support kadirov and his puppetrule under moscow) would fight against Bosniaks (Muslims) without blinking an eye.

They are radicalized to serve putin to that extent that they would turn weapons on other Muslims. That is my assesssment.

Attachments

• 7DEB6EBE-0821-40F7-A673-752AE4B1D057.png
    7DEB6EBE-0821-40F7-A673-752AE4B1D057.png
    530.6 KB · Views: 97
  • E2EA0D7E-1920-4B06-8911-05CACB3D40E9.png
    E2EA0D7E-1920-4B06-8911-05CACB3D40E9.png
    505.7 KB · Views: 90
1652487673030.png

Capital controls imposed by Russia have turned the ruble into the world’s best performing currency this year, though not many people can pocket a profit on the rally.

The ruble resumed its advance against the dollar on Wednesday as the Moscow Exchange reopened after two days of public holiday. It’s now up more than 11% against the US dollar since the start of the year, surpassing the real’s 9% advance to become the top gainer among 31 major currencies tracked by Bloomberg. The offshore rate is up even more, about 12%.

The ruble’s gains result from a series of measures taken by the government to defend the battered currency in the aftermath of Western sanctions. On top of imposing capital controls, Russia has forced exporters to sell foreign-exchange and is demanding its natural gas be paid for in rubles. Strategists say the rally isn’t credible as many currency-trading shops have stopped dealing in the ruble on the grounds that its value seen on monitors is not the price it can be traded at in the real world.

Still, the irony of the ruble performing so well while at war is remarkable, especially as other countries that imposed capital controls in the recent past have not achieved the same results. Turkey and Argentina tried similar measures when they faced a horde of sellers in the past few years with disastrous consequences for the lira and the peso, which reached fresh all-time lows and never recovered.

Traders Prepare to Ditch Moscow Ruble Rate as Market Split Grows

The ruble took over from the real as the world’s best performer as the end looms for Brazil’s monetary tightening, which is weighing on the currency. After raising the benchmark rate by 1,075 basis points since early 2021, policy makers in the Latin American nation have signaled a slowdown in the pace of hiking, as well as their intention to wrap up the cycle soon. While the real’s carry will remain high, the spread to US rates will likely shrink as the Federal Reserve keeps raising borrowing costs at an aggressive pace.