Russia-Ukraine War

Even as a pro-Russia supporter, you have to admit that overarching aim of this conflict has failed.

Even if Ukraine succumbs to Russia, NATO will have more members than it did prior to the Ukraine invasion and NATO will be more united than it has been prior to the invasion. Russian oil will be cut by the end of the year in the EU and Russian gas will be phased out.

Yes, Russia has made more money from gas during this conflict which may very well dampen sanctions but the gas money will dry up in a year or two, whereas sanctions will remain.

Russia does not have any customer that will buy as much gas or oil as the EU, countries like India, Pakistan and MENA region are only interested in wheat and military tech which doesn't support a major economy.

How is this a positive to Russia compared to before the invasion?

I am genuinely curious to hear your answers to this.
The Answer is China

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
The Answer is China

China isn’t a big enough customer for Russian gas. They already have shares in Australian gas and energy companies that give them cheap energy that’s reliable and easily transported.

Why would they throw that away for Russia?

Even as a pro-Russia supporter, you have to admit that overarching aim of this conflict has failed.

Even if Ukraine succumbs to Russia, NATO will have more members than it did prior to the Ukraine invasion and NATO will be more united than it has been prior to the invasion. Russian oil will be cut by the end of the year in the EU and Russian gas will be phased out.

Yes, Russia has made more money from gas during this conflict which may very well dampen sanctions but the gas money will dry up in a year or two, whereas sanctions will remain.

Russia does not have any customer that will buy as much gas or oil as the EU, countries like India, Pakistan and MENA region are only interested in wheat and military tech which doesn't support a major economy.

How is this a positive to Russia compared to before the invasion?

I am genuinely curious to hear your answers to this.

Finland and Sweden were never truly neutral, so their accession into NATO would just be a formalisation of a pre-existing reality.

Finland and Sweden are not as important to Russia in geopolitical, cultural and historical terms as Ukraine.

It will take large Nations like Germany at least 3-5 years to find sustainable alternatives to Russian gas.

Russia is in the process of constructing a gas pipeline directly into China, which would obviate the need for the EU energy market.

China isn’t a big enough customer for Russian gas. They already have shares in Australian gas and energy companies that give them cheap energy that’s reliable and easily transported.

Why would they throw that away for Russia?

China and Russia have agreed to substantially increase this part of their trade.

It makes strategic sense for China to get its energy from a State that is not Washington compliant; and does not have to traverse oceans that are still dominated by the U.S. Navy.

Finland and Sweden were never truly neutral, so their accession into NATO would just be a formalisation of a pre-existing reality.

Finland and Sweden are not as important to Russia in geopolitical, cultural and historical terms as Ukraine.

It will take large Nations like Germany at least 3-5 years to find sustainable alternatives to Russian gas.

Russia is in the process of constructing a gas pipeline directly into China, which would obviate the need for the EU energy market.

China and Russia have agreed to substantially increase this part of their trade.

It makes strategic sense for China to get its energy from a State that is not Washington compliant; and does not have to traverse oceans that are still dominated by the U.S. Navy.
The Yakutia-China pipeline has been operational for a few years now

The Yakutia-China pipeline has been operational for a few years now

I'm referring to the new pipelines that Russia is currently constructing.

Source:

@Periplus

The articles below outlines China’s intentions to relieve itself of its dependence on Australia by turning to Russia.

Edit: It seems that (for now) Russia will only partially recover from losing the European energy market by diverting to China; Russia will still need at least 70 bcm from elsewhere, however, China's consumption of gas is set to increase to 526bn m³.

In either case, Russia will not collapse.

Last edited:

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP

Since your reply covers a fair few points, I’ll use dot points.

1. Same could be said for Ukraine. Joining NATO would just be the formalisation of an existing treaty. However, the reality is that these countries are neutral and have edged towards NATO to counter Russian aggression. Not the other way around.

2. May not be as important but still important. Finland shares a border with Russia and historical/political ties. This also huge implications for the Black Sea and the Kaliningrad section of Russia. That region and its military installations will effectively be surrounded by NATO.

3. It will take them a while to get rid of Russian energy completely but they can significantly reduce it to negligible levels within a year or two. This is in line with the wider EU plan for Russian gas.

4. That Russian pipeline is still smaller in capacity than Nordstream 2, let alone Nordstream 1 or the combined pipelines to Europe. China is several times larger than Europe, yet its future gas importation from Russia will be roughly similar to that Europe pre-Ukraine at the very most. That is not going to make Russia richer.

Since your reply covers a fair few points, I’ll use dot points.

1. Same could be said for Ukraine. Joining NATO would just be the formalisation of an existing treaty. However, the reality is that these countries are neutral and have edged towards NATO to counter Russian aggression. Not the other way around.

2. May not be as important but still important. Finland shares a border with Russia and historical/political ties. This also huge implications for the Black Sea and the Kaliningrad section of Russia. That region and its military installations will effectively be surrounded by NATO.

3. It will take them a while to get rid of Russian energy completely but they can significantly reduce it to negligible levels within a year or two. This is in line with the wider EU plan for Russian gas.

4. That Russian pipeline is still smaller in capacity than Nordstream 2, let alone Nordstream 1 or the combined pipelines to Europe. China is several times larger than Europe, yet its future gas importation from Russia will be roughly similar to that Europe pre-Ukraine at the very most. That is not going to make Russia richer.

Kievan Rus is holy to the Russians and they see it as the place of their common origin with Belarus and Ukraine; NATO in their place of origin would be sacrilege to the Russians. The Russians will pay whatever price necessary to prevail in Ukraine.

The idea that Russia would happily just give up Ukraine to an explicitly anti-Russian military alliance is absurd; the West should have accepted Russia's request to designate and treat Ukraine as a neutral State instead of being blinkered and arrogant and claiming that Russia was irrelevant.

The West knew (years in advance) that Russia would go to war if Ukraine was actually offered NATO membership or treated as a de factor NATO member.

Yes, Russia is in a bind in regard to the Baltic Sea and Kalingrad, but victory in Ukraine would make it worth it.

Where did you get the time estimation for the EU to wean itself from its dependence on Russian gas? Germany will take longer than a year or two to find reliable and sustainable alternatives.

Russia is currently constructing 3 more pipelines to China; and with China’s voracious gas appetite growing as it is... Russia will be poised to provide China with the 526bn m³ that its market will require in the years to come. China’s gas imports from Russia rose by 50% on year in 2021.

Periplus is such west bootylicker, you are Somali nacasyahow, how has the western dominated world helped your people, or you only think of yourself ( like a proper westerner )?? The world order right now doesn’t help any African person, I don’t care for Russia or Ukraine, but I love seeing western hypocrisy exposed for the whole world to see

I'm referring to the new pipelines that Russia is currently constructing.

Source:

@Periplus

The articles below outlines China’s intentions to relieve itself of its dependence on Australia by turning to Russia.

Edit: It seems that (for now) Russia will only partially recover from losing the European energy market by diverting to China; Russia will still need at least 70 bcm from elsewhere, however, China's consumption of gas is set to increase to 526bn m³.

In either case, Russia will not collapse.
I see what you mean. The new pipeline through the Altais comes from the same gas field(s) in Yakutia. More convenient delivery to western china's existing pipeline is all, no new gas concessions.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Kievan Rus is holy to the Russians and they see it as the place of their common origin with Belarus and Ukraine; NATO in their place of origin would be sacrilege to the Russians. The Russians will pay whatever price necessary to prevail in Ukraine.

The idea that Russia would happily just give up Ukraine to an explicitly anti-Russian military alliance is absurd; the West should have accepted Russia's request to designate and treat Ukraine as a neutral State instead of being blinkered and arrogant and claiming that Russia was irrelevant.

The West knew (years in advance) that Russia would go to war if Ukraine was actually offered NATO membership or treated as a de factor NATO member.

Yes, Russia is in a bind in regard to the Baltic Sea and Kalingrad, but victory in Ukraine would make it worth it.

Where did you get the time estimation for the EU to wean itself from its dependence on Russian gas? Germany will take longer than a year or two to find reliable and sustainable alternatives.

Russia is currently constructing 3 more pipelines to China; and with China’s voracious gas appetite growing as it is... Russia will be poised to provide China with the 526bn m³ that its market will require in the years to come. China’s gas imports from Russia rose by 50% on year in 2021.

It doesn’t really matter at the end of the day if Russia prevails in Ukraine or if they would stand idly by while Ukraine exercised its sovereignty in choosing alliances.

What matters is, how will this chess game pan out. Even my pro-Russia Syrian Assadist friend realises that Russia isn’t winning this in the long run. They and China will weaken the US but the West will still win this Cold War.

Mind you, Ukraine was unable to join NATO regardless of whether they or NATO wanted them to join.

As for the gas figures I mentioned, it’s what the EU claims for their entire usage. Since Germany is a member nation, I assume they’re included.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Periplus is such west bootylicker, you are Somali nacasyahow, how has the western dominated world helped your people, or you only think of yourself ( like a proper westerner )?? The world order right now doesn’t help any African person, I don’t care for Russia or Ukraine, but I love seeing western hypocrisy exposed for the whole world to see

Triggered much?

I am looking at Russia and the West objectively unlike the rest of you.

Most of you support Russia because you hate the West but forget that Russia is also imperialist and has a worse track record.

If you think the world order today doesn’t help anyone, let’s see what you think when we’re plunged back into a Cold War and each superpower is hovering around Africa like vultures.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
@Nilotic apparently Germany is now claiming they can stop relying on Russian gas in around 2 years, which is much faster than I expected.

I thought they would be able to reduce it significantly in that time but not get rid of it.