Reparations for blacks

Should Black Americans get reparations?

• yes, Black Americans should get reparations.

• No, Alack Americans should not get reparations

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I was watching her last night (her voice helps me sleep) when I came across this video. Turns out blacks getting reparations for slavery is not as far fetched as you might think. The United Nations even called for the U.S. to pay reparations to black Americans. What do you guys think? Should African Americans get reparations for the horrors their ancestors had to do through?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rorism-says-u-n-panel/?utm_term=.3f17ab34e581

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...gWSgTX9Jm-MKtY9yw&sig2=0nEKAva06Ksgto3Tw4Tyqg

No, do the Italians ask reparations for the sack of Rome? Do Iraqis ask for reparations from Mongolia for the the massacre at the Euphrates? How About Carthage from Italia? Do the Greeks ask the Persians for reparations ? The best reparations there is are those you make yourself called succes.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
No, do the Italians ask reparations for the sack of Rome? Do Iraqis ask for reparations from Mongolia for the the massacre at the Euphrates? Do the Greeks ask the Persians for reparations ? The best reparations there is are those you make yourself called succes.
The difference is that the United States was built through slave labour. The African Americans faced institutional racism less than 50 years ago. A lot of the conditions still exist.

It cannot be said that they are naturally stupid because they are African since there is no remnants of their African culture. Their culture is as a result of their discrimination they've had to endure for 500 years.

Jeesto

VIP
MUCok0.gif

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
first gen africans absolutely can't receive any reparations

the other problem is that there are quite a few black people who have comparable african ancestry to people who readily identify as "white". how would this break down? practically every white person in the american south can trace at least one african in them and some have readings as high as 20%. i remember the irony of KKK members finding out they weren't as "pure" as they thought they were.

and even if you worked all that out reparations would more than likely be handed out decades down the line. this would a long exhaustive process so people getting the money would be those born well after 1970. i.e. individuals who (albeit experiencing racism) would be born in a world that legislatively saw them as equal to their white counterparts. it's an uncomfortable paradigm.

i can't see anything more than a collective "we fucked up" etched in the constitution if it isn't already there.

Last edited:
The difference is that the United States was built through slave labour. The African Americans faced institutional racism less than 50 years ago. A lot of the conditions still exist.

It cannot be said that they are naturally stupid because they are African because there is no remnants of their African culture. Their culture is as a result of their discrimination they've had to endure for 500 years.
They didn't endure it, all of pre industrial societies had a slave/serv cast in their society they should ask for opportunities not rewards?

Apollo

VIP
African Americans were lucky that their ancestors were brought over to the US. That is their reparations already.

If anyone deserves reparations it is Native Americans for the theft of their land. That was far more immoral.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
African Americans were lucky that their ancestors were brought over to the US. That is their reparations already.

nigga what?

and the natives don't want reparations they want the land they were promised.

same in Canada. there were treaty rights that needed to be honoured

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
first gen africans absolutely can't receive any reparations

the other problem is that there are quite a few black people who have comparable african ancestry to people who readily identify as "white". how would this break down? practically every white person in the american south can trace at least one african in them and some have readings as high as 20%. i remember the irony of KKK members finding out they weren't as "pure" as they thought they were.

and even if you worked all that out reparations would more than likely be handed out decades down the line. this would a long exhaustive process so people getting the money would be those born well after 1970. i.e. individuals who (albeit experiencing racism) would be born in a world that legislatively saw them as equal to their white counterparts. it's an uncomfortable paradigm.

i can't see anything more than a collective "we fucked up" etched in the constitution somewhere in their constitution if it isn't already there.
The economic, educational and social situation of African American's must be improved.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
America is the richest country on the planet. They [black Americans of slave ancestry] lucked out already. They are simply not using their opportunities to the fullest. Reparations to them is indefensible.

it's a country with severe economic disparities, crumbling infrastructure, and a unstable political climate. in a globalized world they don't rank top 10 in anything remotely worthwhile and lag behind heavily in the developed world as far as education, health, and economic equality are concerned.

them being the richest matters very little for their citizens because that money is not dispensed equally and not allocated appropriately. you know that fam, you've linked thousands of quality of life indexes and america fails to crack any reputable lists.

they are merely a product of a fragile country unwilling to heal its wounds.

Apollo

VIP
it's a country with severe economic disparities, crumbling infrastructure, and a unstable political climate. in a globalized world they don't rank top 10 in anything remotely worthwhile and lag behind heavily in the developed world as far as education, health, and economic equality are concerned.

them being the richest matters very little for their citizens because that money is not dispensed equally and not allocated appropriately. you know that fam, you've linked thousands of quality of life indexes and america fails to crack any reputable lists.

they are merely a product of a fragile country unwilling to heal its wounds.

First world problems.. Even ghetto blacks in the US live far better than the vast majority of the world.

Sometimes you need to get out of a bubble and look at the big picture.

black

live and let die.
Yes, but depends in what form

If anyone deserves reparations it is Native Americans for the theft of their land. That was far more immoral.

:deadrose::deadrose::deadrose:

Mein Fuhrer, haben die untermensch Juden Holocaust Shekkels verdient??

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
First world problems.. Even ghetto blacks in the US live far better than the vast majority of the world.

Sometimes you need to get out of a bubble and look at the big picture.

like...so what? that entire argument makes little sense at a base level. looking at the big picture african americans don't live as long as their white counterparts, have an increasingly pitiable prison and education system to look forward to as they navigate their adolescence and adulthood. they also have a decayed family structure that isn't getting fixed any time soon and all of this being the result of a country that legalized their equality not even 50 years ago.

i've had this discussion with you before many times. there's not much more you can hope for with a country like this. they seem utterly relunctant to fix their core issues and every political topic is an ideological battleground from which they hurl copious amounts of fecal matter and filth.

just because someone is doing shit somewhere else around the world doesn't mean you stop hoping for equality in your own country. your perspective starts from a comparison to others that can share this perspective. some kid starving in africa doesn't mitigate their problems, my nigga.

but again, no reparations. just fix your country so the sting of institutional slavery and further dehumanization can begin to heal.

although i say that as if there are other countries that can even comprehend what america struggles with. they are relatively unique with their issues so i can't be too harsh.

No, that would be a scary situation.

Imagine if those like me with Caucasian features were requested to pay reparations for Nilotes or Bantus? That would be unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts