Religion is Free Speech and Nothing More

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
Free speech comes with obvious restrictions. For example you are not allowed to threaten people or commit perjury in court. Your employer might ask you to cover up offensive tattoos or avoid profane language, and should you refuse, he/she can discipline you. The same thing should apply to religion.

The practice of religion and religious rituals or ceremonies should be recognized as free expression, subject to the same limitations as other speech. The government and industry shouldn't abide by your religion's rules (i.e. that you need to pray five times at specific times). They should let you do your thing but on your own time. The fact that you believe you have to pray is your opinion, and no more than that. The same should apply to religious attire. You have a right to express yourself in anyway but others (i.e. your employer) don't have to recognize or abide by your religious beliefs.

I bring this up because I heard about Somali women in the US who quit/were fired because they weren't allowed to wear cambuurs (for safety reasons). The cambuur is something you decided to wear and the fact that you believe it's "modest" is a moot point.

Benjamin

någon :)
Free speech comes with obvious restrictions. For example you are not allowed to threaten people or commit perjury in court. Your employer might ask you to cover up offensive tattoos or avoid profane language, and should you refuse, he/she can discipline you. The same thing should apply to religion.

The practice of religion and religious rituals or ceremonies should be recognized as free expression, subject to the same limitations as other speech. The government and industry shouldn't abide by your religion's rules (i.e. that you need to pray five times at specific times). They should let you do your thing but on your own time. The fact that you believe you have to pray is your opinion, and no more than that. The same should apply to religious attire. You have a right to express yourself in anyway but others (i.e. your employer) don't have to recognize or abide by your religious beliefs.

I bring this up because I heard about Somali women in the US who quit/were fired because they weren't allowed to wear cambuurs (for safety reasons). The cambuur is something you decided to wear and the fact that you believe it's "modest" is a moot point.

I agree with you in some points. Let me ask you if you don't mind, what happened to your old account?

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
I agree with you in some points, let me ask if you don't mind what happened to your old account?
Got banned because I told this guy, who was spamming my DM, to f*ck off. Apparently spamming people and derailing threads is ok but telling them to stop is a violation.

Malcolm X

The price of freedom is death
Do you want to know why France gets a lot of terrorism?

It's because their laws and rules are biased against Muslims heavily. What happens if you attack an minority? They fight back.

Freedom of speech is not fundamental right. It is simply a concept agreed on by a bunch of people who never walked a mile in a minority's shoes.

There is a good reason why America claims free speech but when you check their laws, there's a bunch of restrictions.

No place in the world has 100% free speech. The western countries use it to attack the minorities.

Now back to your post, even though employers is not obligated to accept people praying. However, why can't they just be nice and allow them anyway?

Disabled people often face discrimination at workplaces. Many employers will be making millions. Why can't they spare a few dollars so give them a livelihood?

This is pretty much the point of Americans with Disabilities Act and Equality Act 2010 (US and UK respectively). It even makes an exception for smaller businesses who might not be able to afford accommodate. but most employers are able and should anyway.

As long as employers have no reason to prevent a person from following their religious duties, they shouldn't.

Religious people are humans too. They have their desires. You see them as inferior sub humans because you have a sour taste with Islam.

No matter how much you justify, belief is not a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending