References to "Geeljires" in TV, Film, Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
I wanted to make a thread dedicated to documenting how often we Somalis are mentioned in various forms of media, and how we are portrayed. Now obviously there's going to be more bad than good, but I think it's best to keep track of this stuff to stay on top of things, if that makes sense. I encourage everyone to contribute. Please refrain from posting things from the news.

So first off, the obvious ones.

Black Hawk Down

Black-Hawk-Down-2001-Poster-black-hawk-down-38824152-1000-1426.jpg

Captain Phillips

onesheet.jpg

South Park
, Season 13, episode 7, "Fatbeard"

south-park-s13e07c10-somalian-pirates-we-16x9.jpg

American Horror Story, Season 7, episode 2, "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"

upload_2017-9-19_16-22-56-png.30408

Chewing Gum, Season 1, episode 2, "Binned"

IMG_4836.jpg

Beyond: Two Souls, video game

gallery_gaming-beyond-two-souls--screenshot-16.jpg

And that's all I got so far

ReeBorama

"I'd kill for a Noble Peace Prize"
FlashForward, who remembers this?
This scene was the weirdest reference to Somalia! Some apocalyptic shyt!

"Geeljire" is being used as a substitute for Somali to prevent threads like this from easily being found on Google.
As a son of a geel jire , I object to urban - dwelling moryaans (bandits ) being referred to as Bedouins .Bedouin culture is unique all across the Arabian and African peninsula and as such should not be confused with one particular group .i suggest you find another term .Moroover ,geel Jire is a discrimanatory term and subjects non geel jire Somalis such as blacksmiths and farmers to a low status .

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
As a son of a geel jire , I object to urban - dwelling moryaans (bandits ) being referred to as Bedouins .Bedouin culture is unique all across the Arabian and African peninsula and as such should not be confused with one particular group .i suggest you find another term .Moroover ,geel Jire is a discrimanatory term and subjects non geel jire Somalis such as blacksmiths and farmers to a low status .
Hey, someone else started it, not me.
:kanyeshrug:

I'll try to think of something else

Hazel from Degrassi was supposed to be Somali, if anyone wants to search for the clip below:

In Don't Believe the Hype, Hazel pretended to be Jamaican to hide her Muslim heritage during an 'International Day' school event. She went so far as to bully Fareeza, another Muslim girl, to hide her secret. Hazel was devastated when students destroyed Fareeza's presentation on Iraq with spray paint, because it brought back painful memories of being harassed at her old school after 9/11 based on her culture.

After making peace with Fareeza and revealing previous abuse, Hazel revealed in a class presentation that she was born in Mogadishu, Somalia to Muslim parents who immigrated to Canada and explained about her faith.

ReeBorama

"I'd kill for a Noble Peace Prize"
I've seen this film on BBC I think, it was quite good and the actors seemed to speak fluent Somali, not so sure if they are actual Somalis though?
@Khad714 you might enjoy this if u havent seen it already?

@Steamdevolopment, how embarrassing was this film when your Danish colleagues brought it up:siilaanyolaugh:

Madaxkuti

FieldMarshalMadaxkuti
Even at the airports they think we speak fluent Arabic.

If we were mixed with Arab we would end up with big hook nose lol
I was in dubai mall like 2 months ago and some algerian guy i was speaking to was like why dont you know arabic you are arabs

Hazel from Degrassi was supposed to be Somali, if anyone wants to search for the clip below:
That shit always used to piss me off. They just had to make the only Somali there a self hater :fredo:
And a Jamaican wannabe. Like, what kinda shade is this???
No Somali claims Jamaican, it doesn't work like that.

Wow I didnt even think charlamagne knew Somalis like that :gucciwhat:

I remember that episode like it was yesterday :mjhaps:
I was shook, ngl. I was thinking the only Somali's he would come across in NYC are the part Somali and AA folks like Chef Roble :pachah1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending