Questions for Oromos

In regards to the OLF did they use to operate across all of oromia or was it in a particular area? What tribes or clans took part in it for the most part? Is it largely Muslim Oromos who carried the OLF or was it the Christian Oromos? @Abba Sadacha @Medulla

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
I need to stop this Oromo agenda cause now I'm getting tagged on Oromo Info

:mjlaugh:

I've always seen OLF as more of a muslim thing but christians are still in the group. I've yet to meet a oromo who isn't in favour of Oromia but they would only want it if ethiopia was to collapse so to speak.

" Secondly, the northern Oromo of Mecha-Tulama, living in Shoa and the area to the south of it, are mostly Christians of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and have become more integrated into Amhara culture than other Oromo groups. This group speaks Amharic as well as Oromifa (the Oromo language). Thirdly, the southern Oromo of Arsi and Borana had a semi-nomadic life style. Some are Muslims and others belong to traditional religions. Members of this group support the OLF."

I hopes this helps @Abba Sadacha will have better knowledge on this topic

In regards to the OLF did they use to operate across all of oromia or was it in a particular area? What tribes or clans took part in it for the most part? Is it largely Muslim Oromos who carried the OLF or was it the Christian Oromos? @Abba Sadacha @Medulla

Okay. Alhamdulilah I walked my 3.6 miles for the day, [Ya Muslimeen, take care of the bodies that Allah entrusted you with, for indeed he will ask you one day about it. ]and ate; so now I can answer you questions.

To proceed...

1. As a son of the OLF, seeing as how my father and uncle were members in the late 1970s, receive military training in somalia, and lived in mogadishu when they had an office there, until the OLF office was closed round 1981 due to disagreements of fighting under the so called ''somali abbo liberation front,'' banner... I can offer a little insight. My father spoke the somali lanuguage fluently, for the record, and discussed issues with siad barre several times, btw.

The Oromo Liberation Front's main areas of operations were:
In the west, in wallaga.
In the east, in and around harar/ eastern hararghe.
and in Bale, the south.

Due to an effective military strategy employed by mengistu haile mariam, that isolated the OLF from the oromo masses, its land reform that initially gained a lot of oromo support by taking away land from the hated amhara elitist landlords and giving it back to the oromo farmers, and other issues; it did not get to operate all over oromo lands.

The OLF has always been secular, stressing the need for unity among Oromos from all clans, religions and regions. In recent history, the OLF has had mostly protestant leaders, but the soldiers are mostly Muslim. We have no issues there.
There, was for a while, an IFLO or islamic front for the liberation of oromia, but it did not garner the same support, because oromos did not want to see their people divided and thus weakened for their enemies, namely the amhara elites and the tigrayan elites later on/TPLF.

''Eastern Hararghe and western Wallaga are separated by some 500 miles.
In both areas the predominant element in the population [apart from Amhara settlers] is Oromo, but belonging to two different branches of that people, speaking different dialects.
What the two areas have in common, as well as being highly fertile and important to the government's agricultural plans, is that they are centres of armed anti-goverment resistance, is which the local population is implicated.
Eastern Hararghe is the original operational area of the OLF, which is still active there, though since the front was banned from somalia this eastern section has almost been cut off from communication with the rest of the party/org.
Also active in the area are the WSLF, and a small group known as the Islamic front for the liberation of oromia.
Western Wallaga is the other area of activity of the OLF, which after starting from a very small guerrilla group in the early 1980s, has increased its area of operation until it is active in about a third ogf wallaga.

Government counter-insurgency measures have fallen heavily on the population in both areas; villagisation has here been used as a means of keeping the local population under control and cutting off support for the rebels.
In return the OLF when it can destroys new villages.''

[For Their Own Good--: Ethiopia's Villagisation Programme : a Report from ...
Survival International, 1988 - Collective settlements - 59 pages
pg 29]

Okay. Alhamdulilah I walked my 3.6 miles for the day, [Ya Muslimeen, take care of the bodies that Allah entrusted you with, for indeed he will ask you one day about it. ]and ate; so now I can answer you questions.

To proceed...

1. As a son of the OLF, seeing as how my father and uncle were members in the late 1970s, receive military training in somalia, and lived in mogadishu when they had an office there, until the OLF office was closed round 1981 due to disagreements of fighting under the so called ''somali abbo liberation front,'' banner... I can offer a little insight. My father spoke the somali lanuguage fluently, for the record, and discussed issues with siad barre several times, btw.

The Oromo Liberation Front's main areas of operations were:
In the west, in wallaga.
In the east, in and around harar/ eastern hararghe.
and in Bale, the south.

Due to an effective military strategy employed by mengistu haile mariam, that isolated the OLF from the oromo masses, its land reform that initially gained a lot of oromo support by taking away land from the hated amhara elitist landlords and giving it back to the oromo farmers, and other issues; it did not get to operate all over oromo lands.

The OLF has always been secular, stressing the need for unity among Oromos from all clans, religions and regions. In recent history, the OLF has had mostly protestant leaders, but the soldiers are mostly Muslim. We have no issues there.
There, was for a while, an IFLO or islamic front for the liberation of oromia, but it did not garner the same support, because oromos did not want to see their people divided and thus weakened for their enemies, namely the amhara elites and the tigrayan elites later on/TPLF.

''Eastern Hararghe and western Wallaga are separated by some 500 miles.
In both areas the predominant element in the population [apart from Amhara settlers] is Oromo, but belonging to two different branches of that people, speaking different dialects.
What the two areas have in common, as well as being highly fertile and important to the government's agricultural plans, is that they are centres of armed anti-goverment resistance, is which the local population is implicated.
Eastern Hararghe is the original operational area of the OLF, which is still active there, though since the front was banned from somalia this eastern section has almost been cut off from communication with the rest of the party/org.
Also active in the area are the WSLF, and a small group known as the Islamic front for the liberation of oromia.
Western Wallaga is the other area of activity of the OLF, which after starting from a very small guerrilla group in the early 1980s, has increased its area of operation until it is active in about a third ogf wallaga.

Government counter-insurgency measures have fallen heavily on the population in both areas; villagisation has here been used as a means of keeping the local population under control and cutting off support for the rebels.
In return the OLF when it can destroys new villages.''

[For Their Own Good--: Ethiopia's Villagisation Programme : a Report from ...
Survival International, 1988 - Collective settlements - 59 pages
pg 29]

Wow that is a lot of new information thanks @Abba Sadacha In the religous aspect are you a firm believer in secularism (generally regarded as a different deen in most circles)? What is your relationship with Oromos in the former Eastern county of kenya if Oromia were to ever be independent would you try and connect to your historic coast in tana river county? are kenyan oromos majority muslim? are Ethio-Oromos majority christian?

Wow that is a lot of new information thanks @Abba Sadacha In the religous aspect are you a firm believer in secularism (generally regarded as a different deen in most circles)? What is your relationship with Oromos in the former Eastern county of kenya if Oromia were to ever be independent would you try and connect to your historic coast in tana river county? are kenyan oromos majority muslim? are Ethio-Oromos majority christian?

Rakoon hin jiru. (No problem).

In regards to secularism, politically I don't see much a choice for nations that are diverse in religion.
Common interests such as not being subjugated and marginalized, common language, ancestry, culture, etc must unite us as Oromos.

Many Oromo nationalists and perhaps even commonfolk believe in an united oromia which would include our lands in Kenya, hence the reason why consecutive governments in Kenya ALWAYS helped the amhara elites and then the TPLF, to attack the Oromo Liberation Front who had bases in moyale the Kenyan side of it.

However. We also have port access if we can achieve a mutually beneficial agreement with our Somali brethren who have berbera, Djibouti and other ports. Oromia has a lot to offer in terms of trade as well.

Majority of oromo in Ethiopia are Muslim. I'd say about... 60 to 65 percent.
Those in Kenya are mostly Muslim too from what I've read... such as the borana and warday who were conquered and assimilated by the expanding ogaden. Those who live with Somalis in NFD apparently even voted to join Somalia when siad barre was in power.

OLF leadership was always and is firmly in the hands of Wellega protestant Christian Oromos.
Its amazing that ethiopia has been able to hold together so far, this melting pot is only going to get so much worse particularly under ethnic federalism. People are feeling entitled to parts of the country and disenfranchised from other parts. Is there another Amhara candidate whos trying to break apart federalism or run against abiy? @xabashi

Its amazing that ethiopia has been able to hold together so far, this melting pot is only going to get so much worse particularly under ethnic federalism. People are feeling entitled to parts of the country and disenfranchised from other parts. Is there another Amhara candidate whos trying to break apart federalism or run against abiy? @xabashi

Amhara nationalism is very new and in its infants. Majority of ordinary Amharas will support any candidate from any ethnic group or religion as long as they think he strengthens the Ethiopian state and give them free space like freedom of speech and don't oppress them. In my view Abiy will win the majority Amhara vote including in Addis Ababa where the Amharas are the majority even though some nationalist Amharas disagree with me. For most ordinary Ethiopians many of the nationalist parties are simply not an alternative to Abiy. They are not mature enough to lead a big and complex country like Ethiopia. The local tribalists are only good to create havoc and chaos. In fact, I am not sure if the majority of Ethiopians will oppose if Abiy becomes a dictator. What they are longing for is stability, some level of freedom and the ability to do business. I fear the radical nationalists from all sides may all end up in jail. Which is good for the country and the majority will support it. Abiy is wise he let them go wild and create havoc until the majority Ethiopians became fed up and call for law and order. Now he has started to enforce the law and we are in a very better situation than before. Of course some human rights activists and radical medias are crying foul but believe me majority of Ethiopians were literally begging Abiy to enforce law and order and they are fine with his current actions. Honestly, radical tribalist are nothing but village idiots. The state should never allow this erratic idiots to hold power and lead us into civil war. It is even better the army takes over than these village idiots leading us to a civil war.

Last edited:
Amhara nationalism is very new and in its infants. Majority of ordinary Amharas will support any candidate from any ethnic group or religion as long as they think he strengthens the Ethiopian state and give them free space like freedom of speech and don't oppress them. In my view Abiy will win the majority Amhara vote including in Addis Ababa where the Amharas are the majority even though some nationalist Amharas disagree with me. For most ordinary Ethiopians many of the nationalist parties are simply not an alternative to Abiy. They are not mature enough to lead a big and complex country like Ethiopia. The local tribalists are only good to create havoc and chaos. In fact, I am not sure if the majority of Ethiopians will oppose if Abiy becomes a dictator. What they are longing for is stability, some level of freedom and the ability to do business. I fear the radical nationalists from all sides may all end up in jail. Which is good for the country and the majority will support it. Abiy is wise he let them go wild and create havoc until the majority Ethiopians became fed up and call for law and order. Now he has started to enforce the law and we are in a very better situation than before. Of course some human rights activists and radical medias are crying foul but believe me majority of Ethiopians were literally begging Abiy to enforce law and order and they are fine with his current actions.
Amhara nationalism is very new and in its infants. Majority of ordinary Amharas will support any candidate from any ethnic group or religion as long as they think he strengthens the Ethiopian state and give them free space like freedom of speech and don't oppress them. In my view Abiy will win the majority Amhara vote including in Addis Ababa where the Amharas are the majority even though some nationalist Amharas disagree with me. For most ordinary Ethiopians many of the nationalist parties are simply not an alternative to Abiy. They are not mature enough to lead a big and complex country like Ethiopia. The local tribalists are only good to create havoc and chaos. In fact, I am not sure if the majority of Ethiopians will oppose if Abiy becomes a dictator. What they are longing for is stability, some level of freedom and the ability to do business. I fear the radical nationalists from all sides may all end up in jail. Which is good for the country and the majority will support it. Abiy is wise he let them go wild and create havoc until the majority Ethiopians became fed up and call for law and order. Now he has started to enforce the law and we are in a very better situation than before. Of course some human rights activists and radical medias are crying foul but believe me majority of Ethiopians were literally begging Abiy to enforce law and order and they are fine with his current actions. Honestly, radical tribalist are nothing but village idiots. The state should never allow this erratic idiots to hold power and lead us into civil war. It is even better the army takes over than these village idiots leading us to a civil war.

Abiy needs to fix ethiopian culture because it wont thrive in the new world. Regardless this thread was for Oromos, not christian supremacists. You will have a question thread soon @xabashi

Trending