Puntland's Renewable Energy (Wind/Solar) Development

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
Solar panel is better option since its warm and sunny all year round.
@Cotton Eyed Joe is it windy at garowe?
Most of Puntland is windy and sunny
F1.large.jpg

SolarGIS-Solar-map-Africa-and-Middle-East-en.png

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Well that's a good start. Cheaper electricity is what we expect, I will not invest in a factory as a share-holder if the profit is all lost to paying the electricity. I want my operating costs to be low as possible. Obviously staff wages and taxes are pretty low in somalia so that is attractive, but energy like electricity and fuel are terrible and both are needed to transport and power goods. A factory can't work in the dark or where there is no power outlet for the machinery. Mind you I would hesistate more just for the simple reason of a lack of law n order, what if someone loots my factory or the govt kicks me out of the country and I lose my assets? or what about insurance if natural disasters occurs to my asset?

A-lot of things are needed to be in place to make investment attractive not just calling out people to 'invest' over the tv.

Puntland's NECSOM (national energy company) invited engineers from other regions in Somalia; Mogadishu, Kismaayo, LaasCaanood etc, to learn about renewable energy.

NECSOM is leading the way in renewable energy in Puntland and will expand these skills to other Somalis and other regions.

Is it owned by a somali

Farm

VIP
(ERGO) – An irrigation scheme in Puntland is gradually changing the approach to farming after years of reliance on rain-fed agriculture.

With no rivers to tap for irrigation and very minimal rainfall, farmers are adopting new technologies through solar-powered generators to pump water from underground wells.

The small scale farmers in Jibagale locality near Garowe town have started tapping the sun’s energy to pump water from wells to irrigate their subsistence farms.

Abdikadir Abshir Nur is the chairperson of a small group of farmers with a 14-hectare farm growing fruits, vegetables and cereals.

He says the adoption of solar power has helped the group cut the costs of running petrol generators.

“Before adopting solar power, during rainy seasons we used to spend $500 on petrol and engine oil every month. We paid a one-off amount of $2,500 to get these solar generators and water pumps. I bought 100 pieces of solar panels. Since installing this we spend nothing else,” Nur said.

He said the solar-powered irrigation system introduced in this area has increased yields, saved water, and cut fuel and labour costs.

The system uses solar power to pump water from the well to a tank and then to irrigation pipes. The solar system enables many irrigation pipes to operate at once, with regulated water flows.

Abdikadir said the farmers have expanded their cultivation onto many more hectares of land and started to grow new crops.

The equipment is designed to withstand harsh climatic conditions and has a lifespan of 30 years, according to Samatar Omar, the chief executive of Solar Energy Consulting & Construction Company (SECCCO).

“The solar pumps are the solution to farmers because they are less expensive to operate. High cost of diesel was eating into most of their profit but this system saves a lot for them,” he said.

Speaking to Radio Ergo, Hassan Yussuf Karshe, the deputy chairman of Jibagale Farmers Association said 14 members had transited to solar-powered irrigation systems.

“It is a cost-effective system. The solar-powered pumps generate more water which has resulted in increase in higher crop yields,” Hassan said.

Nadiifo Yussuf Jama, who has been farming for the last 24 years, has planted a variety of new crops using the solar-power irrigation from a newly dug borehole.

In 2014, Nadiifo and several of her colleagues secured a loan of spend $36,000 from a local cooperative which they used to dig the well and buy solar panels and water pumps. The drip-irrigation boosted their crop yields and product sales from their farms to enable the women to settle their loan over a four year payback period.

https://www.radioergo.org/2018/11/1...ansforming-farming-in-puntland-state/?lang=en

Guts

Bosaso iyo Bandar Siyada
VIP
We are becoming more and more advanced, we won't rely on other states in somalia, we can do it in our homestate!

Northerners are so dumb. We could pool our resources together to resurrect the Nugaal river that used to flow in the north and the northern regions. Look at how India did it.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

He's talking about Nugaal valley that get their water source from the Sheikh mountains and ends up in the Indian ocean at Eyl. If northern Somalis were to work together and rejuvenate their river then this would heavily benefit both Somaliland & Puntland.

Last edited:

Ape

Study Sunt Tzu’s, ‘Art of War’.
They should focus on growing trees forst. By growing native trees, you enrich the soil. Then the growth of grass could make it a permanent location for nomads. If the nugaal river also makes fall, a dam could be built indtead of waisting valuable water to the ocean

Keeysan

The humble one
How is it that we’ve taken this long to start harvesting our blessed solar power though?
:ayaanswag:
We get the most radiation of all continents

Trending