Puntland Regional Roads, Highways & Bridges Thread

@warside we should’ve a system to tax the big trucks that ruin the roads. Money goes back fixing the roads.
I agree, taxes on vehicles are inadequate and not enforced properly.
In the last revenue report (July to September) the amount collected from taxes on cars was around $300,000. and taxes on imported cars and spare parts: $1,401,472. also districts collect small 'Wado maris' taxes from bypassing trucks but they manage their revenue separately from Puntland gov. but they didn't earmark those revenues for roads, instead the Ministry of Finance introduced a new sales tax (eventually 5% but in the 1st phase will be 0.2%), from July to September they collected $1,597,220, and it will increase as they adjust the sales tax rate.

Last edited:
What about Guardafui and Hafun? How come no road projects have been announced?

We also need a road to connect coastal towns. I know this is expensive, but I'm sure it can start, even if it's slow.
the new funds earmarked for roads is around $530,000 monthly and it will increase when they raise the new sales tax rate from 0.2% to 5% , since they don't have the funds to all these roads they're focusing on the main road, and VP Karaash mentioned that Gardafui, Taleex and Boocame roads will be the next phase.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
More dual-carriageway roads are needed.

Car crashes are way too common back home. The roads are generally narrow and the trucks are wide.

Truck stops are needed. No shops but just a parking bay where truckers can park and map in their cars.

Another problem in PL, is that they drive on the right-side while having right-sided cars. This means whenever there is a corner, the driver is effectively blinded and in danger of a deadly crash.

If you drive on the right, car should be left-sided and if you drive on the left, car should be right-sided.

Hassan Garguute Buldanana

AUG 25, 2023
VIP
More dual-carriageway roads are needed.

Car crashes are way too common back home. The roads are generally narrow and the trucks are wide.

Truck stops are needed. No shops but just a parking bay where truckers can park and map in their cars.

Another problem in PL, is that they drive on the right-side while having right-sided cars. This means whenever there is a corner, the driver is effectively blinded and in danger of a deadly crash.

If you drive on the right, car should be left-sided and if you drive on the left, car should be right-sided.
First time you posted something I agreed with. Yeah, too many accidents. We need speed limits

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Name few things you would implement?

My first term will focus on improving PL’s Human Development Index with improving quality of life esp for the young.

- Introduce cigarette and khat importation tax levied at 2 USD to every 1 USD of product.

NB: A pack of 20 cigarettes in PL cost $1USD. That means the PL government can make $2 USD off each pack bought in the state.

- Use the money from the khat tax to initiate β€œa better PL programme”. Each xafaad in the major cities will have a public park and playground as well as at least one public library in each city.

- Use the money from the cigarette taxes to build computer labs and renovation works in schools.

- This policy is borrowed slightly from @DR OSMAN but I would levy a tax on soft drinks in PL. Most are imported from SL or Konfuur. Use that money to purchase ambulances and set up a 999 or 000 number for people to call ambulances.

- Maalinta Isxilqaan, a day every month in which school kids do community work. Each school and each grade will have a specific task be it road-cleaning, garbage collection or looking after the elderly.

- Introduce a road safety programme. Driving under the influence of khat is banned and rest stops to be built on each major highway.

20 KM From Bosaso, the road leading to Gerible village.

20 KM from Bosaso.jpeg

Trending