Puntland and the mountainous communities of Bari and Gardafuu. (Reer PL only)

@Ascended Farax @Pwyneth Galtrow PL govt should cover the 'feasability study' and cost to benefits to be gained from such road investment. We should also know how much it would cost in total to set up dirt roads in remote areas across all Puntland and propose this to each community to contribute to they're community costs. It's obvious they're is some brain drain in a-lot of areas so it's paramount PL actually leads in preparing studies and these should be used to get those communities to co-pay for their dirt road.
A 70:30 ratio for funds between government and communities is a good split. The people can work around their 30% quota.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Ascended Farax @Pwyneth Galtrow it's actually quite critical that we speed up our developments. A house which is simple construction can take up to 2 years. This is unacceptable when it's well known what the turn around of a house is(12 weeks) in productive societies. So u can imagine how slow road development will be and every un-necessary day added increases the over-all cost. That's probably why you see donors limit their funding to small projects, it's due to our in-efficient service delivery. So when our govt blames donors for not assigning us projects, we need to look within sometimes ourselves. Do we deserve a project that takes 2 years to do here when others can do it in 3 months? I really envision if we can fix this area, all Somalia projects will be assigned to us by default cuz it's cheaper for the donor then.

We need to investigate this immediately and provide solutions as it could be stopping many projects assigned to our region due to our horrendous service delivery. What is stalling us most likely is the supply-chain all dependent on 'imports', the transport corridor and infrastructure could also be a problem and finally our lazy workers and they're work schedule. I don't know what it is, but I cringe when I see projects taking years when it can be done in months elsewhere, who would u give funding priority to? obviously those who can complete it quickly. I really think this is an achille heels that is stalling us.

Once we pin-point where the problem is, we can look at how to fix that gap, whether it's infrastructure, or building construction supply chains locally thru investors, fixing lazy work culture or lack of tasks linked to time-tables.

Last edited:

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP
For how long will Puntland use our name to get funds for counter terrorism? Meanwhile accusing us of it? PL should determine its stance with our community whether we are part of the Gobol or not. We let you tax us for our frankincense export business which is worth millions of revenue with Bari but we get nothing in return, no proper police station, schools and proper adminstration.

How will PL fix this? I paid taxes to my gobol but my gobol hasn't done anything for my community.
PL since Deni came to power, it start to care for all 9 PL gobols. Example carmo, qandala, Iskashubaan and timurshi and many villages in Bari.

Gardafuu under Deni became active as income, goverment facilties and police stations.

Deni did great job honestly and we thanks him.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Ascended Farax the other thing is we need to stop looking at 'raw materials' but discuss the 'value add' we can do with it. Raw materials producers are paid cheap in global markets, they're countries very poor. It's the places that 'value add' to the raw resources that get the most margins.

I never seen anyone in PL discussing this problem with our economic outlook. We sell everything 'raw' that's why were poor. Some western company takes our diamonds raw and then refines the 'jewel' and creates necklaces, watches, and other item.

Same as our livestock, we sell it 'live', while some other person 'refines' it and cuts it into different parts and charges different rates or creates medicinal products from it.

We as Somalis in general follow the african model of economy which is raw materials, we do not value add to anything, we will remain poor untill that model is changed. I've yet to see a single govt official discuss this so I don't see much hope.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@DR OSMAN kinda a noob question, but how is the road from Bosaso to qardho and garowe(im assuming there are roads yh:cosbyhmm:)

I think the transport corridor is OK for the time being when u assess the amount of activity it gets. The road is all-weather, u hear some bridge collapse from rain from time to time though which are being upgraded.

I think the slow manual process, imports, lack of time-table n scheduling, and poor work culture all combined is effecting our project delivery times. I mean I cringe how long simple road projects take elsewhere and how long it takes in PL. Nearly every project executed in PL when baselined against other nations, we are 5 times slower to completion. They can produce mega cities in 5 years, while we only produce 1 house, u see the economic difference? this really needs to be addressed or else we will not secure donors or investors for major projects.

Trending