Puntland and the mountainous communities of Bari and Gardafuu. (Reer PL only)

For how long will Puntland use our name to get funds for counter terrorism? Meanwhile accusing us of it? PL should determine its stance with our community whether we are part of the Gobol or not. We let you tax us for our frankincense export business which is worth millions of revenue with Bari but we get nothing in return, no proper police station, schools and proper adminstration.

How will PL fix this? I paid taxes to my gobol but my gobol hasn't done anything for my community.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Ascended Farax a-lot has to do with no road access to your area, look at sanaag folks, they r building a road they should be your inspiration and u shud learn from them.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Ascended Farax look at the horrific journey one must endure to reach This area, imagine transporting construction material, it wud be to risky for donors or investors to entertain.

@Ascended Farax a-lot has to do with no road access to your area, look at sanaag folks, they r building a road they should be your inspiration.
The PL government contributes millions of dollars for road projects, that contributes to about half of the funds allocated for Ceeldaahir Ceerigaabo.

How much budget do we get for repairing roads? I agree we should iskutashi but the government also has to contribute. We already do everything to stay self sustained, we dug water tunnels and have cleared dirt roads.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Ascended Farax As Reer Gardafu u as a community should work on at least building a 'gravel dirt road' which is cheap as hell and then ask Puntland diaspora and government to chip in to 'pave' it. That's my suggestion, but as long as the access corridors are like that, those towns will be deemed to difficult n risky to develop.

@Ascended Farax look at the horrific journey one must endure to reach This area, imagine transporting construction material, it wud be to risky for donors or investors to entertain.

I took a journey to Af Urur myself, its not as inaccessible as it is made to be, Calmadow community built an adminstration office in Calmadow in 2018, using the same dirt roads.

@Ascended Farax As Reer Gardafu u as a community should work on at least building a 'gravel dirt road' which is cheap as hell and then ask Puntland diaspora and government to chip in to 'pave' it. That's my suggestion, but as long as the access corridors are like that, those towns will be deemed to difficult n risky to develop.
I'm not reer Gardafuu but I included them because we have the same struggle the cagaf is regularly maintained by us, PL should be looking at us as investment Cape Gardafuu could be a tourist attraction and Majiyahan could be a minning industry powerhouse.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I love Sanaag/Gardafu, they hold the most promising investment returns. The farm-land in Sanaag forests could feed all PL twice over and still be net exporter to other Somali areas. And the mining potential as you said is incredible. Gardafu as u said holds a-lot of tourist potential.

But Im afraid all that will be shot down by people as not realistic untill a transport corridor is developed. Who's responsible? PL govt has adopted the PPP(public privat partnership) model to development. This means every community is responsible for their development and what they can't do, PL will chip in or at least make it a priority investment to donors.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Pwyneth Galtrow U know what most 'reer puntites' will say 'orod idinku soo bilaaba'. They don't like to invest into areas if the community itself isn't taking the lead role. No area is richer or poorer in PL, just different community who are active and then u have the inactive community. Those in-active will not get govt assistance

@Pwyneth Galtrow U know what most 'reer puntites' will say 'orod idinku soo bilaaba'. They don't like to invest into areas if the community itself isn't taking the lead role. No area is richer or poorer in PL, just different community who are active and then u have the inactive community. Those in-active will not get govt assistance

@Ascended Farax did say they cleared dirt roads. If Puntland can build a highway in Warsangeli land, it can do the same for other hard to access land.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Pwyneth Galtrow I am pretty sure Sanaag community led the way in that development and then sought puntites n the govt to chip in, this isn't the case in remote Bari, these communities are not leading the way for their community, that's probably why it's neglected.

I prefer the govt support active communities who take charge of their progress rather then assist areas who are not taking charge. As u said they're MP'S are in garowe and don't care either way.

These MP shud be going to they're community, collect funds from nomads and locals, connect their diaspora and begin paying for what they can, what's left over then I am sure PL diaspora or govt will cover and if they can't they will be given immediate priority to donors. But they don't deserve that unless we see them moving first.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Pwyneth Galtrow The Sanaag road contribution even reached my 'house' in Australia, I paid $500 and my father $1500. We would love to do the same for remote bari, but we don't see them 'active' and organized like the sanaag community were.

Organized is the 'key word' we all want to ensure our money goes where it's intended also. It's the same for donors and the government. If the community isn't organized, no project is possible.

I love Sanaag/Gardafu, they hold the most promising investment returns. The farm-land in Sanaag forests could feed all PL twice over and still be net exporter to other Somali areas. And the mining potential as you said is incredible. Gardafu as u said holds a-lot of tourist potential.

But Im afraid all that will be shot down by people as not realistic untill a transport corridor is developed. Who's responsible? PL govt has adopted the PPP(public privat partnership) model to development. This means every community is responsible for their development and what they can't do, PL will chip in or at least make it a priority investment to donors.
which is why it would be better to incentivise locals to stay in their areas, we have alot moving out of those regions. I think the issue to begin with is starting jobs for locals. My family's farm employs about 4 youths who in turn would not need to move out. Population drain is a serious problem if tackled we would have a strong community iskutashi.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Ascended Farax @Pwyneth Galtrow PL govt should cover the 'feasability study' and cost to benefits to be gained from such road investment. We should also know how much it would cost in total to set up dirt roads in remote areas across all Puntland and propose this to each community to contribute to they're community costs. It's obvious they're is some brain drain in a-lot of areas so it's paramount PL actually leads in preparing studies and these should be used to get those communities to co-pay for their dirt road.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Pwyneth Galtrow The area that we need to specialize in PL is not only 'ease of doing business' index, but also project development turn-around speeds. The quicker we do projects the cheaper it is all around and this will win us friends globally in terms of investment. Somalia as a whole operate like snails on a project and this isn't going to win you any investors as it will end up costing them more.

We need to develop and use project management methods across development so we can show investors that we have the quickest turn-around on projects and this will end up giving us an edge over others in Somalia when investment is prioritized becuz PL will be seen as the only partner in the nation that can guarantee to investors quick turn-arounds and save them money.

Trending