Puntites Should Hold A Referendum On Seccession

Interesting discussion. If we suppose the people of Puntland vote to leave Somalia through a referendum, there a couple of interesting questions that would arise for me:
1. Would Somalia recognise an independent Puntland? my first though is no, why would it allow a further break up of its country? It would be a bad precedent for Somalia as several other FMS would likely follow suit, starting with Jubbaland.
2. What would Puntland do if Somalia refused to recognise it?

It is obvious that being under the Somalia umbrella has held back PL. We all know how much blood and regional resources have been leaving PL for Mogadishu since 2000. The late President Abdullahi Yusuf famously depleted the money of his region for ambitions of turning things around down south. So far, no one has been able to tame the South. Just look now how Mr. Deni is in Mogadishu arguing about yet another protracted squable instead of focusing on the many real problems and issues that need his attention back home!

PL staying within Somalia is tentamount to a captain going down with his ship. Honourable - Yes -- but ultimately quite futile and detrimental to the future of its people. PL needs its independence and authority to forge separate relationships with outside organizations.

In my view, we must separate ethnic identity and nationality. We will always be Somali people, but now more than ever PL must be logical and pursue its own interests. Once the South sees that everyone else has moved on with their lives, I am sure they will put their own house in order - Inshallah.

One can always wait another 30 years and re-evaluate this question...! There is a saying that madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results -- sadly, it seems we are nation of crazy people.

Last edited:

Libaax-Joore

Beesha haplogroup e-by8081
VIP
Interesting discussion. If we suppose the people of Puntland vote to leave Somalia through a referendum, there a couple of interesting questions that would arise for me:
1. Would Somalia recognise an independent Puntland? my first though is no, why would it allow a further break up of its country? It would be a bad precedent for Somalia as several other FMS would likely follow suit, starting with Jubbaland.
2. What would Puntland do if Somalia refused to recognise it?
Thiers no such thing somalia its up to the people of Puntland to decide thier future look at Rwanda and Burundi same people different country
1200px-Somalia_federal_member_statets.png

Kutiri kuteen badanaa ciyaalkan weli in 91ki la joogo isu heysta.

South Somalia with all it's insecurity, puntland, galmudug and Somaliland cannot match their productivity, hard work, progress. Mogadishu alone has more paved roads than all those 3 clan fiefdoms combined

Libaax-Joore

Beesha haplogroup e-by8081
VIP
Kutiri kuteen badanaa ciyaalkan weli in 91ki la joogo isu heysta.

South Somalia with all it's insecurity, puntland, galmudug and Somaliland cannot match their productivity, hard work, progress. Mogadishu alone has more paved roads than all those 3 clan fiefdoms combined
Keep your mouth out of Puntland
LazyCheeryGharial-small.gif

Puntites are learning the cold hard truth which there politicians have always known. The fact of reality is a unified Somalia doesn’t need your support for a leader to stay in power.

What will happen is you will be taken out of power then when you try an uprising there will be massacres. Do you think Farmajo and goodax barre wouldn’t raise puntland to the ground if they had the power ?

Abaq

VIP
The people of Somalia are way more patriotic than the diaspora who live in complete fantasy with full stomach, 9-5 job, ice cream and coffee in the afternoon and karaoke Fridays. Meanwhile our cousins back in Somalia are struggling with dignity and always have the big picture in mind :)
Is that how you spend your Fridays. Singing kpop in a karaoke bar :pachah1:

The vote yes should be put on the table to the Puntland people.
Forward thinking people should not and will not be held back by Incompetence from Xamar.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
They won't support any secession with or without clauses. I'm well acquainted with the psyche of Puntites back home, they think of themselves as hardcore nationalists and wouldn't hesitate to call you treacherous traitor if you even gossip about secession. That's the reality on the ground mate, our politicians are more practical than the ignorant masses though and would gladly declare secession but they'd be lambasted and crucified by the locals.

What I don't get is how our online diaspora is PIM but in reality we are anything but that on the ground. :mjkkk:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
What I don't get is how our online diaspora is PIM but in reality we are anything but that on the ground. :mjkkk:

The reason behind PIM is, we are sick of every 4 years being stuck in political dead-locks with Mogadishu, so we believe the less we have to do with each other it can translate to Puntland progressing quicker. I want my land to reach modern status and I honestly do not want to be tied up with the south who can barely even control the security of one city. 2004-2020 and it's still the same story of shabab and security, that is 20 years, u know what can be achieved in 20 years?

The reason behind PIM is, we are sick of every 4 years being stuck in political dead-locks with Mogadishu, so we believe the less we have to do with each other it can translate to Puntland progressing quicker. I want my land to reach modern status and I honestly do not want to be tied up with the south who can barely even control the security of one city. 2004-2020 and it's still the same story of shabab and security, that is 20 years, u know what can be achieved in 20 years?

100% correct perspective.

Trending