Popular YouTube channel talking about the Red Sea trade involving Punt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of my favourite YouTube channels has been delving into the history of economics, trade and commerce between ancient empires and nations, my favourite topic when it comes to learning about civilisations. On this video, he addressed the Red Sea trade between Ptolemaic Egypt and Rome with Punt (Somalia) and ancient India. Although he doesn’t talk about Punt in detail, it really made my day that he mentioned ancient Somalia and it’s great that people can learn to see that Somalia has a long, rich and fascinating history and that the current status of the country doesn’t define our nation.

Inshallah when the dust settles, we can further enrich this topic on Red Sea trade through the ages when historians are able to delve deeper into archeology in Somalia. Perhaps we’ll find more detailed information about the coastal cities in ancient times and what they were like and how their societies influenced Somali culture before the onset of Islam.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
intresting the trade routes was what made the horn of african civilizations prosper unlike western southern and central african civilizations which was nowhere near the might of the aksum damot zagwe ifat adal or ajuraan empires

the trade helped our peoples interact with india rome and as far away as china influencing our food music dress sense a lot of it imported from east asia like the sarong or macawiis or the dirac and the rich spices made in our cuisine

Last edited:
intresting the trade routes was what made the horn of african civilizations prosper unlike western southern and central african civilizations which was nowhere near the might of the aksum damot zagwe ifat adal or ajuraan empires

the tradde helped our peoples interact with india rome and as far away as china influencing our food music dress sence a lot of it imported from east asia like the saroong or macawiis or the dirac and the rich spices amde in our cuisine

Somalia is at the crossroads of two important oceans: the Indian Ocean which links to trade with Persia, the Indus Valley and China, and the Red Sea that profits from connections to Arabia, Egypt and the Near Eastern/ Mediterranean/ European worlds beyond. We are truly blessed to benefit from such strong trade routes, if only we were as resourceful and hard working as our ancestors! :banderas:

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Somalia is at the crossroads of two important oceans: the Indian Ocean which links to trade with Persia, the Indus Valley and China, and the Red Sea that profits from connections to Arabia, Egypt and the Near Eastern/ Mediterranean/ European worlds beyond. We are truly blessed to benefit from such strong trade routes, if only we were as resourceful and hard-working as our ancestors! :banderas:
the trade probably helped elevate horn of African civilizations over other parts of Africa apart from north Africa who along with the Indian ocean trade also had the western Europeans trade routes

it was how the axumites were able to conquer the sabaens and were able to acquire superior weapons and technology helped of course by their access to both North Africa and Indian ocean trade routes and how the ajuraans acquired matchlocks and superior weaponry to defeat the Portuguese

Apollo

VIP

One of my favourite YouTube channels has been delving into the history of economics, trade and commerce between ancient empires and nations, my favourite topic when it comes to learning about civilisations. On this video, he addressed the Red Sea trade between Ptolemaic Egypt and Rome with Punt (Somalia) and ancient India. Although he doesn’t talk about Punt in detail, it really made my day that he mentioned ancient Somalia and it’s great that people can learn to see that Somalia has a long, rich and fascinating history and that the current status of the country doesn’t define our nation.

Great video with good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts