Afro Asiatic

Afrocanada
giphy.gif

name your kid a somali name :hmm:

Warya guuleed

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Most Somali Arabic names, particularly the male ones are religious in nature, are they not? It's like cadaans and names like John (Yo7anan/Ya7ya) or Paul (Sha3ul) or Aaron (Aharon/Harun). Somali male Arabic names tend to be names like Maxamad, Axmad, Cabdulle, Cabdi, Cabdullahi, Ibraahim and so forth. It's a deen thing, not an Arabization thing.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Most Somali Arabic names, particularly the male ones are religious in nature, are they not? It's like cadaans and names like John (Yo7annan/Ya7ya) or Paul (Sha3ul) or Aaron (Aharon/Harun). Somali male Arabic names tend to be names like Maxamad, Axmad, Cabdulle, Cabdi, Cabdullahi, Ibraahim and so forth. It's a deen thing, not an Arabization thing.
dude who brought up arabisation, this is purely just to find out the percentage of sspot users who have arabic names vs somali names

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
dude who brought up arabisation, this is purely just to find out the percentage of sspot users who have arabic names vs somali names

You were lamenting above that only 1 person has a Somali name like having these names is a bad thing. Do you feel there is something wrong with having religious names? Mine is Somali, just for the record. The first in my line for about 4 generations.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
You were lamenting above that only 1 person has a Somali name like having these names is a bad thing. Do you feel there is something wrong with having religious names? Mine is Somali, just for the record. The first in my line for about 4 generations.
preserving somali names is not a bad thing. wanting more people to have a somali name is not a bad thing. my first and last name is Arabic and I don't care. if you're reading too deep into this post, that's on you. cause I never said the crap you just said

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
preserving somali names is not a bad thing. wanting more people to have a somali name is not a bad thing. my first and last name is Arabic and I don't care. if you're reading too deep into this post, that's on you. cause I never said the crap you just said

Calm down. It's really weird and childish but you've seemed to have it out for me eversince I walked out on that thread because you lied and also refused to just share the sources I was asking for. I harbor no hard feelings myself. There is no need for all this silly emotionality and downvoting. As for the rest, noted. I don't really care either way, truth be told. Whether we revive Somali names like mine (granted, all of my munchkins will have such names) or completely lose them to religious, Somalized names. History will take its course, if you don't like it then try to influence it in whatever direction you can but make peace with where it might go if you fail.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Calm down. It's really weird and childish but you've seemed to have it out for me eversince I walked out on that thread because you lied and also refused to just share the sources I was asking for. I harbor no hard feelings myself. There is no need for all this silly emotionality and downvoting. As for the rest, noted. I don't really care either way, truth be told. Whether we revive Somali names like mine (granted, all of my munchkins will have such names) or completely lose them to religious, Somalized names. History will take its course, if you don't like it then try to influence it in whatever direction you can but make peace with where it might go if you fail.
you're the one who accusing me of things I never even said. so now I'm in the wrong for defending myself. you're accusing me of not liking religious names and saying some other bs that doesn't even relate to this thread. you really need to check yourself and ask why you are so against wanting people to have more somali names? do you not like somali names? having an Islamic name does not make you more religious that another person just because they have a somali name.

I have a right to down vote you if you spill bs that has no place in this thread.

no one harbours hard feelings towards you. KH is not native to the Somali language. it's a fact. you brought up some random word Dakhtar and called it a native word

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
you're the one who accusing me of things I never even said. so now I'm in the wrong for defending myself. you're accusing me of not liking religious names and saying some other bs that doesn't even relate to this thread. you really need to check yourself and ask why are you so against wanting people to have more somali names? do you not like somali names? having an Islamic name does not make you more religious that another person just because they have a somali name. I have a right to down vote you if you spill bs that has no place in this thread

I have not in a long time perhaps seen a more incredible example of straw-manning. You say I accuse you of something I didn't (I asked a question) then legit turn around and accuse me of something I didn't say. I said I don't care either way but that I personally would give my kids Somali names so do explain to me where this came from on your part:

you really need to check yourself and ask why are you so against wanting people to have more somali names? do you not like somali names?

? After reading this:

As for the rest, noted. I don't really care either way, truth be told. Whether we revive Somali names like mine (granted, all of my munchkins will have such names) or completely lose them to religious, Somalized names. History will take its course, if you don't like it then try to influence it in whatever direction you can but make peace with where it might go if you fail.

Are you okay? And I'm not accusing you of anything you didn't do. You claimed to have sources then spent like two pages avoiding sharing them. Am I to assume you were not lying to me about having them? I'd like to think so but it sure didn't seem like it.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I have not in a long time perhaps seen a more incredible example of straw-manning. You say I accuse you of something I didn't (I asked a question) then legit turn around and accuse me of something I didn't say. I said I don't care either way but that I personally would give my kids Somali names so do explain to me where this came from on your part:

you really need to check yourself and ask why are you so against wanting people to have more somali names? do you not like somali names?

? After reading this:

As for the rest, noted. I don't really care either way, truth be told. Whether we revive Somali names like mine (granted, all of my munchkins will have such names) or completely lose them to religious, Somalized names. History will take its course, if you don't like it then try to influence it in whatever direction you can but make peace with where it might go if you fail.

Are you okay? And I'm not accusing you of anything you didn't do. You claimed to have sources then spent like two pages avoiding sharing them. Am I to assume you were not lying to me about having them? I'd like to think so but it sure didn't seem like it.
You didn't accuse me???
You were lamenting above that only 1 person has a Somali name like having these names is a bad thing. Do you feel there is something wrong with having religious names?
It's really weird and childish but you've seemed to have it out for me eversince I walked out on that thread because you lied and also refused to just share the sources I was asking for.
no one has it out for you. who has it out for you?

I only said what this thread is about and apparently because I said that "I feel there is something wrong with having religious names". who brought that up. this thread has nothing to do with the arabisation you brought up.

now after bringing up some random arabisation you bring up KH not being native.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
You didn't accuse me???

This:

You were lamenting above that only 1 person has a Somali name like having these names is a bad thing. Do you feel there is something wrong with having religious names?

Is a question. Not an accusation and that was what I was referring to when I said I said you accused me of accusing you of something I didn't. I didn't say I didn't accuse you of anything. Just that I didn't accuse you of something you didn't do. Where did you get that? There is some weird comprehension issues stuff going on here, walaal.

I only said what this thread is about and apparently because I said that "I feel there is something wrong with having religious names". who brought that up. this thread has nothing to do with the arabisation you brought up.

And I was addressing what seemed like you clearly having it out for "Arabic" names by pointing out that they are religious names and not a big deal. Then in my next post I asked you if you had an issue with such names. I guess you do? Anyway, let's not be obtuse here. You've been downvoting me eversince that thread and now you're very strangely misinterpreting everything I say like a person who's hocked up on some anger and reading too fast. I have nothing against you since that thread so if you do I ask you to just be mature and put it aside when dealing with me in other threads.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
This:

Is a question. Not an accusation and that was what I was referring to when I said I said you accused me of accusing you of something I didn't. I didn't say I didn't accuse you of anything. Just that I didn't accuse you of something you didn't do. Where did you get that? There is some weird comprehension issues stuff going on here, walaal.

And I was addressing what seemed like you clearly having it out for "Arabic" names by pointing out that they are religious names and not a big deal. Then in my next post I asked you if you had an issue with such names. I guess you do? Anyway, let's not be obtuse here. You've been downvoting me eversince that thread and now you're very strangely misinterpreting everything I say like a person who's hocked up on a lot of anger and reading too fast. I have nothing against you since that thread so if you do I ask you to just be mature and put it aside when dealing with me in other threads.
I am not your walaal. can you not bring up random things out of nowhere. I don't see how you can not handle 2 down votes. only 2. now I'm a person hooked on anger. this is my thread, me telling you not to bring up random stuff is not attacking you or being angry. you take the first step and be mature and do not reply to me again

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I am not your walaal. can you not bring up random things out of nowhere. I don't see how you can not handle 2 down votes. only 2. now I'm a person hooked on anger. this is my thread, me telling you not to bring up random stuff is not attacking you or being angry. you take the first step and be mature and do not reply to me again

I'll reply to whomever I want. And again, this is my point. I don't really mind the downvotes. It's just this weird uncivility from you eversince that thread. It's even getting in the way of basic communication. This whole exchange between us in this thread wouldn't have even happened if you didn't straw-man what I was getting at several times and we both know the only reason you're doing that is because you keep coming at me with anger and a complete lack of rationality.

I mean look at this:

It's clearly a question but you call it an accusation? What the heck is going with you, man? Even this pettiness... "I am not your walaal." what the heck? All of this over some stupid thread about "Kh"? Bismillah. Your age is really showing.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I'll reply to whomever I want. And again, this is my point. I don't really mind the downvotes. It's just this weird uncivility from you eversince that thread. It's even getting in the way of basic communication. This whole exchange between us in this thread wouldn't have even happened if you didn't straw-man what I was getting at several times and we both know the only reason you're doing that is because you keep coming at me with anger and a complete lack of rationality.

I mean look at this:

It's clearly a question but you call it an accusation? What the heck is going with you, man. Even this pettiness. "I am not your walaal." what the heck? All of this over some stupid thread about "Kh". Bismillah. Your age is really showing.
you are clearly way older than me. you can't tell me to be mature when you're still replying to me. uncivility because of down votes. only 2. not liking a post means to down vote. what else should I do. not down vote. this isn't even about that KH post. I forgot about that post but clearly you are hung up on that post for some reason. I will be petty if I want. I am not your walaal. I don't need you calling me your walaal when you are arguing with me

Trending

Latest posts