PET PEEVE

Alluring

Sayonara
Today I've come to complain about the most annoying thing some somali men wear.... no I will not kaarbash them...I think?

So, during a cultural event where you're suppose to represent your culture through your clothing, food, etc. Somali girls wore guuntinos or diraacs, which are clearly apart of our culture. But, the guys were so disappointing. Some wore macawis, representing their culture. But, so many wore thobes like fake arabs and then even worse, some wore a PALESTINIAN keffiyah. I wanted to whip them for wearing arab & levant clothing to represent SOMALI people. It's not even just them, I notice the thobe with suits on top is daily attire for somali men. I don't mind the thobe because it's been normalized to an extent but the ones who wear keffiyehs make me cringe. I remember an arab complaining that non arabs wear arab clothing and said it was weird, the way a little part of me died on the inside. In conclusion, have respect for your culture and at least wear somali clothes on somali culture day. Thank you.

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
I love culture days. I used to curl my hair and put on the most sparkliest Dirac and look the best there. I remember this autistic kid used to follow me around saying he’s going to buy me a goat. Fun times

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
1603901081854.png

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
I own a Keffiyah, but no macawiis. I am sorry for disappointing you.

:wow:

What are these events though? Are you Minnesotan?

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
It's a common thing in the U.S to do culture days/cultural events, it was always funny seeing the white kids have nothing to present.

Is it something you do throughout school as kids? Or is it more of a Uni thing?

I've seen those cultural dance events at various American universities on YouTube. Looks very cool. I've never seen anything like that over here.

Alluring

Sayonara
Is it something you do throughout school as kids? Or is it more of a Uni thing?

I've seen those cultural dance events at various American universities on YouTube. Looks very cool. I've never seen anything like that over here.
It's more of a high school & university thing. The high school ones are smaller and people just wear their cultural clothes, but the universities do a big thing with performances, food, music, etc.

Villainess

It's more of a high school & university thing. The high school ones are smaller and people just wear their cultural clothes, but the universities do a big thing with performances, food, music, etc.
ayesap? 👱🏿‍♀️yeauhsir. ✅ rawcky? 😳yeuaushir. 👍🏼 welcome to awstin teaxas ayesap😍😍 thank u sa 🥰

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
So what is supposed to be culture for you? shirt and skinny jeans?:cosbyhmm:
Ofc that stupid white rag is geeljire clothing, the city folks and elders never dressed like that

For example
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

He should've came to the event with a feather and a colourful robe like the guy in the middle imo
1603902881264.png

Villainess

Ofc that stupid white rag is geeljire clothing, the city folks never dressed like that

For example
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

He should've came to the event with a feather and the guy in the middle imoView attachment 149347
The first couple of pics are not culture. That style is a product of colonization. That’s the white man’s clothes.

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL

I was born on the wrong continent

:ohlord:

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
The first couple of pics are not culture. That style is a product of colonization. That’s the white man’s clothes.
How is this white man's clothes 😂😂😂
1603903295065.png

Geeljire culture /= Coastal culture you gotta mentally separate the two, it's hard since somalis always talk about and praise the former but the latter was very real and still exists today

Trending

Latest posts