Pacific Islanders

What makes Maori lucky is the few whites in New Zealand, it didn't have a population boom like Australia, even with that it's all a farce. Google New Zealand Maori struggles, though they live in a first world country, they suffer high rates of poverty, domestic abuse and sadly suicide. The treaty was farce, like most western nation treaties at the time. Maori are fighting for land now and even have movements. Just because they got people to do the Haka doesn't = great.

What's with the Africa comment Nilote? Africans for the most part are doing okay and not fighting for land and cultural identify with Colonialists. There were many great African kingdoms too.

great-one-private-look-disgust.gif

I don't understand why you simply can't just give the Maori some credit for their martial valor in their struggles against the British -- even if things didn't pan out the way they were suppose to.

The Maori were ill-equipped to properly negotiate and grasp the subtleties and full implications of that Treaty -- as they were not an advanced society; they were led to believe that they merely accorded Europeans land use rights rather than full-blown occupation.

With the exception of Southern African States and Kenya, most of Africa didn't have the climate that the Europeans valued or regarded as suitable, so we were largely saved from the fate of settler colonialism.

WW2 is probably the only reason colonial powers gave up their imperial holdings, so let's not pretend that African Nations attained their faux independence through military struggle.

Why are you even comparing the 2nd largest continent with a bunch of microscopic Nations?

I shudder to think what your definition of doing bad is if you really think that Africans are doing comparatively well today.

We really need to stop being so painfully unaware, especially in our judgements of others; introspection and humility is needed if we want to get out of our many, many quandaries.

Our sense of superiority is hollow and laughable, and we should bloody well stop it.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
@Periplus @HIBAQ123

Do you guys have Papuans, Solomon Islanders and those very dark skinned Pacific Islanders in Australia? If so, are they described as black by Australians?

So Melanesians, not Polynesians.

View attachment 204468

I don't understand why you simply can't just give the Maori some credit for their martial valor in their struggles against the British -- even if things didn't pan out the way they were suppose to.

The Maori were ill-equipped to properly negotiate and grasp the subtleties and full implications of that Treaty -- as they were not an advanced society; they were led to believe that they merely accorded Europeans land use rights rather than full-blown occupation.

With the exception of Southern African States and Kenya, most of Africa didn't have the climate that the Europeans valued or regarded as suitable, so we were largely saved from the fate of settler colonialism.

WW2 is probably the only reason colonial powers gave up their imperial holdings, so let's not pretend that African Nations attained their faux independence through military struggle.

Why are you even comparing the 2nd largest continent with a bunch of microscopic Nations?

I shudder to think what your definition of doing bad is if you really think that Africans are doing comparatively well today.

We really need to stop being so painfully unaware, especially in our judgements of others; introspection and humility is needed if we want to get out of our many, many quandaries.

Our sense of superiority is hollow and laughable, and we should bloody well stop it.
I apologize for bashing the Maoris. They did their best and they're wonderful individuals like most of human kind.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
Really cool, welcoming and family oriented people, my coworkers use to invite me to their family cookouts. :)

Madows are not the only none white people in white countries that can dislike Somalis or anyone. Most madows don't care enough about Somalis to dislike or feel anything towards. Your talking point is focused on them though you haven't lived near any. If anyone knew you were from New Zealand saying this, it makes you seem unhinged and bitter for no reason. I've been observing members before i finally joined.
Awkward….. coming from someone who came for miskeen Islanders (who you don’t live around, clearly) unprovoked. Get help, madow bootyclapper

@Periplus @HIBAQ123

Do you guys have Papuans, Solomon Islanders and those very dark skinned Pacific Islanders in Australia? If so, are they described as black by Australians?

So Melanesians, not Polynesians.
No, they distinguish them all the time, especially on government forms you have to acknowledge you're not or are aboriginal or Torres strait islander

I just want to clarify that I'm not a self-hater; my Africa comments were meant to show that we should subject ourselves to the same metrics we use to judge others, and that we shouldn't be unduly arrogant.

Trending