oromos wearing alindi guntiino to their cultural show

At this point you are trolling but I fear you are the type of person who camps on tiktok comments whenever oromos/horners wear ”somali” clothing. Let me break it down for you.

Bariis iyo hilib, the most known somali dish would not exist without foreign influence. Many of the spices and bariis/rice itself comes from Asia. The banana we even add sometimes is from Asia. But nobody is not saying the bariis iyo hilib is not a somali dish. We have our unique way doing it and it tastes different from other rice and meat dishes.

In the case of other horners wearing our clothing, by trade or other way, they have started wearing our clothes. @Hamzza posted picture of oromos wearing similar clothing to somalis. You can see clearly the overall similarity they have with us. People share and all ethnic groups borrow from others.

The names for chicken in somali is either Dooro or digaag. Digaag is arabic while dooro could be amharic/ethio-semetic word @Shimbiris @Al-Ma'mun. We share stuff with our neighbours, get over it. Guntiino/dirac is much as theirs as its ours.

If you disagree then lets get rid of all foreign influence from our culture. A lot will be intact but things we took for granted will disappear and I know people like you won’t do it so stop policing others.
I think doro is most definitely a Habeshi influence. Example, a famous Ethiopian dish is doro wot which is chicken in a chili stew.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Historically, when they did have a culture and wore bodices and corsets, they dressed the exact same thing. Why? Because they are of similar origins. Naturally they’ll look and dress the same. What makes Somalis different in that regard? Guuntinos are essentially very old historical attire that we probably wore for centuries and the Oromos being of a similar origin wore it as well.

The Habeshas aren’t solely Cushitic, despite having significant Cushitic blood, and we’re not as related to them the way we are with Oromos and Afars. So, yes their clothes are going to be a lot more different.

Also, another thing you need to take into account is that neighboring tribes and ethnic groups have always influenced each other whether it be for trade, proximity ect. Our cooking style has significantly changed due to trading with the Indians and Yemenis, yet all our dishes I would still argue are authentically Somali despite that.

Those non Somalis I.e the Oromos are of the same origin and neighbors. It is insane for you to assume their culture and attire wouldn’t be similar. It is literally the case of a Nigerian fighting with a person from Benin about certain clothes, it is nonsensical.
oromos started wearing the guntiino because of the garre influence. up until recently borana wore animal skin

The Borana traditional dress was made from goat and sheepskins. Three sheep were needed to make a complete garment for a woman. This dress was twisted round the body and held in place by a leather belt, and thong passed over the top of the shoulder held two corners of the garment together. Sandals were made from a single layer of hides. - advocacy4oromia

the benin and nigerian point is invalid because theyre both ethnically diverse, with a large population of both being ethnically Yoruba. so ofcourse some ethnic groups will have the same culture. oromos, afars and somalis have been seperated for thousands of years and developed our own individual culture.

afars are also not fully cushtic. they have a lot of south arabian ancestry. oromos have a lot of omotic ancestry. no group is fully cushitic.

Last edited:

alien

📍outer space
VIP
At this point you are trolling but I fear you are the type of person who camps on tiktok comments whenever oromos/horners wear ”somali” clothing. Let me break it down for you.

Bariis iyo hilib, the most known somali dish would not exist without foreign influence. Many of the spices and bariis/rice itself comes from Asia. The banana we even add sometimes is from Asia. But nobody is not saying the bariis iyo hilib is not a somali dish. We have our unique way doing it and it tastes different from other rice and meat dishes.

In the case of other horners wearing our clothing, by trade or other way, they have started wearing our clothes. @Hamzza posted picture of oromos wearing similar clothing to somalis. You can see clearly the overall similarity they have with us. People share and all ethnic groups borrow from others.

The names for chicken in somali is either Dooro or digaag. Digaag is arabic while dooro could be amharic/ethio-semetic word @Shimbiris @Al-Ma'mun. We share stuff with our neighbours, get over it. Guntiino/dirac is much as theirs as its ours.

If you disagree then lets get rid of all foreign influence from our culture. A lot will be intact but things we took for granted will disappear and I know people like you won’t do it so stop policing others.
im not going to say that we dont have influence from other cultures. but that does not give oromos a right to take somali clothes and label it as oromo. alindi is not an oromo fabric and for them to present it that way is not okay.

that picture was sadeeta. sadeeta definintly has sadex qayd influence as it originally was not tied over the shoulder and some sadeeta layering are tailored like sadex qayd. but its still its own dress and im not going to claim its sadex qayd. however how oromos wear guntiino is the same way somalis wear it. theyre the same dress.

dooro is definintly from the habeshas. its a loan word

Last edited:

World

VIP
Jobless somalis outraged about oromos wearing ”our” clothing while ours and pretty much every culture in the world borrows stuff from other people. Get a damn grip people. Oromos are our neighbours and its given they share stuff with us.

Somalis have even gone so far that now every oromo or other horner has to clarify baati/guntiino/dirac is ”somali” while posting videos wearing one. Same people wearing other peoples clothing daily.
*disclaimer i am habesha but I’m wearing a baati which is a somali clothing, i do not claim this is my culture*

alien

📍outer space
VIP
What do you think Somalis were wearing before the advent of cotton fabrics?
probably leather too. but its clear that they were still wearing leather up until recently and many still do as traditional clothing. whereas somalis have no evidence of us wearing it in the past couple hundred years

Last edited:

Hamzza

VIP
probably leather too. but its clear that they were still wearing leather up until recently and many still do as traditional clothing. whereas somalis have no evidence of us wearing it in the past couple hundred years

here is a borana women wearing it
View attachment 239975
There is evidence of Somalis wearing leather clothes as late as 19th and 20th centuries.

Jobless somalis outraged about oromos wearing ”our” clothing while ours and pretty much every culture in the world borrows stuff from other people. Get a damn grip people. Oromos are our neighbours and its given they share stuff with us.

Somalis have even gone so far that now every oromo or other horner has to clarify baati/guntiino/dirac is ”somali” while posting videos wearing one. Same people wearing other peoples clothing daily.
You clearly don't know what happened in Dire Dawa and Harar. Soon they will take jigjiga.

People getting mad about this are insecure 😂😂😂 Oromos are our neighbours and intermarry with us especially in the border areas between the two groups it makes sense as to why we would share the same clothing it’s not like there from a completely different part of the world

alien

📍outer space
VIP
People getting mad about this are insecure 😂😂😂 Oromos are our neighbours and intermarry with us especially in the border areas between the two groups it makes sense as to why we would share the same clothing it’s not like there from a completely different part of the world
why dont we wear their clothes then :kanyeshrug:

oromos started wearing the guntiino because of the garre influence. up until recently borana wore animal skin
Somalis at one point wore animal skin. There was an Italian adventurer in the 17th or was it 18th century who went to Somalia and describes the locals as wearing animal skin as well. Also, Oromos are diverse, the ones that border Somalis are obviously going to have similar attire and would be influenced by us. That is natural.
the benin and nigerian point is invalid because theyre both ethnically diverse, with a large population of both being ethnically Yoruba. so ofcourse some ethnic groups will have the same culture. oromos, afars and somalis have been seperated for thousands of years and developed our own individual culture.
It is very valid as Ethiopia is ethnically diverse with Ogadens and other Somali groups like the Karanle bordering Oromos.
afars are also not fully cushtic. they have a lot of south arabian ancestry. oromos have a lot of omotic ancestry. no group is fully cushitic.
Not all Oromos have omotic blood. The ones that live near dir dawa look identical to us. Also, Somalis have South Arabian blood but at lower levels.

That is what I find funny. In some villages that border oromos and vice versa they actually intermarry. Then you have confused qabils like Jarso who are supposedly of Oroma ancestry but speak Somali. Also, Akasho qabil who are supposedly Dir but some say Oromo. Also, historically which I find to be sad is that Oromos had a habit of oromosing Somalis that lived close to them and force them to integrate.

I understand why some posters have anxiety surrounding Oromos as we have fought them for centuries and they are known to force their identity on Somalis. Now you have lost Somalis absorbed by Oromos who only talk in Oromo.

Last edited:
That is what I find funny. I some villages that border oromos and vice versa they actually intermarry. Then you have confused qabils like Jarso who are supposedly of Oroma ancestry but speak Somali. Also, Akasho qabil who are supposedly Dir but some say Oromo. Also, historically which I find to be sad is that Oromos had a habit of oromosing Somalis that lived close to them and force them to integrate.

I understand why some posters have anxiety surrounding Oromos as we have fought them for centuries and they are known to force their identity on Somalis. Now you have lost Somalis absorped by Oromos who only talk in Oromo.
Plenty of Somali groups dir darood hawiye etc have assimilated with oromos and speak their language it’s very interesting although majority still know their roots and abtirsi my family met some of them
hararghe oromos and Somalis have had a lot of historical interaction there’s also Oromo groups in Jubaland that are assimilated into Somali now

Cause they forced everyone to become Oromo. We won't accept Arabization or Oromofication.

Cause we got xooged.
You do know there are actual Oromo qabils that have been Somaliazed. They speak Somali and think they’re Somali but are originally Oromo.

read this thread. It’s fascinating. A Somali poster who thought their mother was Somali but she is actually of Oromo origins. Unfortunately, border Somali qabils and Oromos that border Somalia have been fighting as well absorbing each other for generations.

So knowing this, how can similar clothing be suprising?

Last edited:
Plenty of Somali groups dir darood hawiye etc have assimilated with oromos and speak their language it’s very interesting although majority still know their roots and abtirsi my family met some of them
hararghe oromos and Somalis have had a lot of historical interaction there’s also Oromo groups in Jubaland that are assimilated into Somali now
I don’t know how I feel about that, as history shows many do tend to forget and Somalinimo simply becomes a footnote in their families distant history. A friend of mine has cousins who are ‘Oromo’ but have actual Somali qabil abtiris. It’s strange and rather confusing. Hence, knowing this I can’t possibly see how the Somalis here are up at arms at the idea of Oromos wearing Somali clothes. That is the least of our worries. Forget clothing, some of their people are actually of Somali origin which obviously influenced them along with being literally our neighbors and also, the recent fights and killing taking place is terrible.

tbh this neighbour excuse is getting old. we neighbour afar but we dont wear their jewlery or their textiles. we historically neightboured the abysinians, yet we never wear their clothes. so why do oromos always wear somali clothes. i just saw a video of an oromo wearing a guntiino with a gorgorad underneath. and it was the western modern guntiino.

this is why they wear our clothes so much. shaash, baati, guntiino, dirac, alindi etc. because of somalians like you who allow them to. we never wear their headwear despite us being neighbours

Who said they're your clothes and not theirs? What proof do you have it originates from us? Fyi, some of the Oramo clans were living in Somalia a few centuries ago. Some of them are Somalized today (i.e., Warday). There are also Somali clans from Dir, Daarood, and Sheekhaal who were absorbed into Oramo. The people you see in that video could be Oramized Somalis as well. You just can't proof any of the things that you're claiming but have a big mouth.

Who said they're your clothes and not theirs? What proof do you have it originates from us? Fyi, some of the Oramo clans were living in Somalia a few centuries ago. Some of them are Somalized today (i.e., Warday). There are also Somali clans from Dir, Daarood, and Sheekhaal who were absorbed into Oramo. The people you see in that video could be Oramized Somalis as well. You just can't proof any of the things that you're claiming but have a big mouth.
I know Sheekhals and Dirs that have Oromo relatives. Strange tbh, but it really goes to show how influenced Border clan Somalis and Oromos are with each other. Some of it is innocent neighbor influences whilst other times it was bloody. You even have some Jarso claiming Dir and speaking Somali despite being Oromo and these posters are supposedly surprised about us having similar attire.

Trending