Oromo J1 not Neolithic but of Habesha/South Semitic origin?

So all South Ethiopian J's even in Omotic are of recent Sabean origin. It also suggest that haplogroup J didn't originate in south west Ethiopia as many of us assumed before .

Apollo

VIP
So all South Ethiopian J's even in Omotic are of recent Sabean origin. It also suggest that haplogroup J didn't originate in south west Ethiopia as many of us assumed before .

I think so.

But so far only evidence in the Oromos, but likely the same is true for other J1s in Ethiopia. It is likely not that ancient.

I assumed Oromo Js were Habashi-specific. In the same manner, they mixed and acculturated bi-directionally.

We have no reason to assume Omotic speakers follow the same patterns. For example, Aaris, on their non-forager derived autosomal component, seems pure and consistent, not highly structured.

Wolyatas, Omotic speakers as well, is an example of the opposite, considerable trace of admixture with Habashi people, more structure and predictive irregularities.

Apollo

VIP
We have no reason to assume Omotic speakers follow the same patterns. For example, Aaris, on their non-forager derived autosomal component, seems pure and consistent, not highly structured.

Wolyatas, Omotic speakers as well, is an example of the opposite, considerable trace of admixture with Habashi people, more structure and predictive irregularities.

Sometimes lineages can spread to a group with little autosomal effect, especially paternal lineages tend to do this (MT less likely). The Anuak got high E-M2, likely received from Kenyan Bantus in the last 1.5K years, yet they are autosomally a near pristine Nilote population. R1b in Chadics, similar pattern if one assumes R-V88 came from a Med-like population.

If I were to guess, I think some type of E-M34 (E-M132 / E1b1b1c) variant was the OG Omotic lineage, while the J1 stuff in Omotic groups is likely spread by elite South Semitic males that provided some cultural or agriculture advantage but didn't change their autosomal origins by much.

Sometimes lineages can spread to a group with little autosomal effect, especially paternal lineages tend to do this (MT less likely). The Anuak got high E-M2, likely received from Kenyan Bantus in the last 1.5K years, yet they are autosomally a near pristine Nilote population. R1b in Chadics, similar pattern if one assumes R-V88 came from a Med-like population.

If I were to guess, I think some type of E-M34 (E-M132 / E1b1b1c) variant was the OG Omotic lineage, while the J1 stuff in Omotic groups is likely spread by elite South Semitic males that provided some cultural or agriculture advantage but didn't change their autosomal origins by much.
That is true, Y-chromosome lineages don't need to correlate well with genetic makeup over time.

Around one year ago, I had this crazy theory on Omotic. I can't remember specifically what it was about. Maybe I cracked the code, maybe I did not, we'll probably never know.

If I recall correctly, Ehret mentioned that there is a reason to believe the specific Southwest Ethiopian agricultural item (ensete cultivation) was produced originated separately from the northern and eastern agricultural tradition of Ethiopia.

Trending