Oman: History, Power and Influence

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I swear mofo claimed they single handedly defeated the Portuguese. :icon lol:

:russ:

Somalis exaggerate the Ajuran but they weren't nothing, to be honest. I've seen even western researchers thoroughly study them and they came to not so unimpressive conclusions themselves though their names escape me now. They were basically the Geledi Sultanate of their time. Controlled most of the hinterland and agricultural land of the south and therefore had a strong chokehold and influence on the coastal towns and supposedly used Marko directly as their port similar to how the Geledi treated Barawe. They would also, similar to the early modern Geledi, extract tribute from all the coastal towns like Xamar and be very influential in their daily affairs as a result of controlling their agricultural base. And they did apparently build a lot of wells in the countryside and use that to manipulate the nomads.

Every country overestimates its historical influence if you open their respective history books. There are elements of raising the morale and confidence level of the population at play, very powerful psychological conditioning which in turn maybe has positive overall effects. :icon lol:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Every country overestimates its historical influence if you open their respective history books. There are elements of raising the morale and confidence level of the population at play, very powerful psychological conditioning which in turn maybe has positive overall effects. :icon lol:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
History class in Europe is basically teachers trying to convince kids how there was an intellectual, ideological, and cultural, traditional continuity from ancient Greece to today as if the whole of Europe was one body.

Cadaans are a show of God's sense of humor, wallahi. It's even funnier that they basically worship a man (AS) from the Levant whom they like to pretend was a Swedish surfboarder. Their whole civilization is a meme.

:mjlol:

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
@The alchemist @Shimbiris

The way they teach history at secondary school in Germany is very self-hating (for obvious reasons). First they teach you how these Germanic barbarians destroyed the glorious Roman Empire, then how bad the Middle Ages were thanks to German barbarism, then how brutal and barbarian the Protestant-Catholic religious wars were, then how inhumane the industrial era was and how many destructive chemicals were invented by Germans, and finally the great shame of all the holocaust. Even the cold war gets kind of blamed on themselves. Most self-hating people ever, lol.

I hear Anglos and the French also teach their history in a self-hating kind of way. What's it like in Norway?

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I hear Anglos and French also teach their history in a self-hating kind of way. What's it like in Norway?

I heard different with Anglos. That they even downplay or ignore the atrocities of the British empire, for example. And they and the French are practically the main pumpers of the "Western Civilization" meme, if I'm not mistaken.

Apollo

VIP
I heard different with Anglos. That they even downplay or ignore the atrocities of the British empire, for example. And they and the French are practically the main pumpers of the "Western Civilization" meme, if I'm not mistaken.

The woke self-hating affected British culture more recently (2010s), but Germans have been self-hating and ashamed of themselves for decades (post-WWII).

Apollo

VIP
Russians on the other hand glorify themselves to no end and look at their great past and are ashamed of their current state from what I hear. Terms like ''The Great Patriotic War'' instead of World War II. Putin even publicly said the Soviet Union should have never split apart.

@The alchemist @Shimbiris

The way they teach history at secondary school in Germany is very self-hating (for obvious reasons). First they teach you how these Germanic barbarians destroyed the glorious Roman Empire, then how bad the Middle Ages were thanks to German barbarism, then how brutal and barbarian the Protestant-Catholic religious wars were, then how inhumane the industrial era was and how many destructive chemicals were invented by Germans, and finally the great shame of all the holocaust. Even the cold war gets kind of blamed on themselves. Most self-hating people ever, lol.

I hear Anglos and the French also teach their history in a self-hating kind of way. What's it like in Norway?
It's kind of the same, only that they emphasize the Viking history in a more positive light, while we pretty much learn the same stuff in the different historical stages highlighting the good and bad. History is viewed in this narrative manner where people got progressively more enlightened, and thus they look back at people in the past as more ignorant, pitying them.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
It's kind of the same, only that they emphasize the Viking history in a more positive light, while we pretty much learn the same stuff in the different historical stages highlighting the good and bad. History is viewed in this narrative manner where people got progressively more enlightened, and thus they look back at people in the past as more ignorant, pitying them.

A pretty misguided mindset, to be honest. Gaalo generally have this misconception of Human history as a constant, overall progress line when it really wasn't necessarily so. This is why they'll be proper confused at how Paleolithic people were healthier than Neolithic or Medieval people or why they'll be confused to realize many indigenous groups did not want to become "civilized" and many still don't. The modern world has a way of selling you too much on its nice and shiny exterior much like the city I was born in (Dubai) but when you take a good look and see the rates of obesity, depression, massive household debt, suicide and discontent and overworked people you realize a life in the country with maybe just a tad bit of technology like running water and a laptop is a better bet.

A pretty misguided mindset, to be honest. Gaalo generally have this misconception of Human history as a constant, overall progress line when it really wasn't necessarily so. This is why they'll be proper confused at how Paleolithic people were healthier than Neolithic or Medieval people or why they'll be confused to realize many indigenous groups did not want to become "civilized" and many still don't. The modern world has a way of selling you too much on its nice and shiny exterior much like the city I was born in (Dubai) but when you take a good look and see the rates of obesity, depression, massive household debt, suicide and discontent and overworked people you realize a life in the country with maybe just a tad bit of technology like running water and a laptop is a better bet.
I think Hegel said there were different philosophical value in people's lives, i.e., principally different characteristical attainment to specific historical periods that were later forgotten, and we should look back at those periods and interpret the behavior, conceptualize philosophically to try to understand what was lost because later expressions and previous from that specific period were uniquely different. I don't know if I fully agree with his specific assertion, but I do think he's at least partially right in that particular case, and the idea you addresses is correct, people are misguided about the complexities and depth of the past, though we look at it from a simple lens lacking wisdom.

reer

VIP
When did Oman lose to Bantus or Somali? And all non-whites lost to the Europeans which kinda mitigates the L a bit

The Japanese managed to win from Russians. :wow1:

They also won from the Dutch:

But the absolute mad men thought they could take on the USA. :wow:

dudes even invaded british india in 1919:damn:

Last edited:

Trending